Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Monday, June 15, 2020

June 15, 2020

Yesteryear
One year ago today: June 15, 2019, a Nashville song list.
Five years ago today: June 15, 2015, robots and brittle.
Nine years ago today: June 15, 2011, Happy Jason Derek Brown Day.
Random years ago today: June 15, 2005, immediate – exclusive – positive.

           Aha, a balmy morning. I got out in the new lean-to and finished most of the rumble speaker. That’s my nickname for the 12” woofer that directs the bass notes downward into the floorboards, if any. I opted to leave the tweeter system intact. The circuit board has an excellent bypass filter so I don’t worry about frying anything. That the oblong white rectangle thing beside my thumb. The dark material is a baffle lining. The part I can’t get is the XLR plug, I may have to rig something up from my old stick microphone. The only thing I remember about that adapter is how expensive it was. $18.
           Next, I cut the disk for the gig. I usually produce a number of these with varying mixes of country, country-rock, and old rock. It’s classics only, but I could find any contemporary music with value, I’d at least give it a listen. This sets me up to be called a fossil, but I did not like rap-like disco-Cuban chanting slow music even when I was young. So it’s not like George Carlin said about when you turn 40, something terrible happens to music. Also, I did not like electronic beats and sounds from the day I first heard them in my teens, so pooh-pooh that age has anything to do with it.

           I will not be ready. That’s how you launch a new production, it’s tradition. Get on stage before you are ready, you’ll find if the show is a go, nobody will notice the mistakes. One slight advantage is I’ve done Karaoke at this location before, and they are open so late I’ve dropped in after my own gigs. I found the crowd one of the easiest to read and have done the juke box jockey a few times.
Here’s an interesting item from British Petroleum. They know there will always be a market for oil and planned for decline—but not now. It seems that people, during the virus shut-down, began to turn to alternative sources. My take on it is I would rather spend more money now for technology that frees me from dependence on big corporations. Their point is that people have learned to ride bikes again, so to speak, and the demand for oil may not recover. I’m okay with them losing as they are beyond guilty of price manipulations. I’d miss a dishonest oil company about the same as a dishonest bank.
           I would not be surprised if just getting off the surveillance grid crops up as a motive soon. A smart meter is the last thing you want from your power company. In theory the IoT sounds good, your phone talks to your fridge. The unrecognized danger is there are no standards for this interconnection. You need only look at the shambles the millennial coders have made of GPS and other touch screens to realize you do not want these people establishing invisible links between devices inside your house based on their limited experience and leftist values.

Picture of the day.
Perth, Australia.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           What a snooze, I lost the rest of the day. You want things done around here, you got to wake me up. I remembered the Gigrack PA, it came with an extra set of 25-foot XLR cables. I never used then and forgot until just now. I imagine they are still in the box up at the Fubar. That would be a welcome discovery. I tested Set A through the Fishman and it may not be quite loud enough, although that is rarely a consideration with my show. The audience quickly learns if they make too much of a din, they miss things. The Fishman has an amazing sound for its size, I just wish they’d made it battery powered. For the remaining afternoon, I’m scrounging the entire homestead for phono cables. I’ve learned to keep them by the dozen. But after four years, where?
           I’ll need every available moment to work with the PA, as it has just three tone controls and was designed for guitar work. The natural crossover is right on the lower G note, the most used one on the bass. The note booms too loud to match the rest of the tune and I may have to invest in an equalizer to smooth it out. Seems to me there is a really nice one around here. I’ve got six days to slap this together. Another factor is that when I go this long without playing, I get used to sitting down. Playing is easier and you get lulled into thinking you are better than you are.

           I was able to scrounge all the gear needed, minus that special cable for the Fishman to drive the rumble speaker. I don’t know is those are even powered outlets, but the worst case scenario for that valuable invention is I revert to using the big PA. The speaker is built to convey bass vibrations into the floor without resorting to excess volume. The acoustics in the club are known to be terrible. It’s long and narrow, cluttered with beams and furniture. So the first night, I’d rather arrive with too much gear than not enough. I still have the Yamaha speakers out in the shed.
           Here’s a closeup of the cutout for the speaker jacks. Looks rough? Because it is. I have the equipment to make this much better but I’m not about to put that kind of effort into road gear. That makes a full seven hours put in on music today. The concept is more work now for less work later. And I’ve misplaced the recharger for the DVD player. I recall putting where I could easily find it, but that just backfired. I have the car charger—say that reminds me, I do have an adapter. Time to dig around the shed.
           I cannot locate a Yamaha dealership whose web page makes it easy to find and price the ignition and seat locks. It’s amazing how screwed up the millennial mentality has made what was supposed to be the greatest invention in history. Each tiny mind trying to grab as many crumbs as he can. There is no fixing what they did, the entire situation has to be crushed, hopefully by some new system we’ve already waited to long for.

ADDENDUM
           Ha, let me tell you about AuvoriaPrime. They shafted themselves. One of the reasons I quite using MicroSoft Access around 2003 is because it became unstable through ordinary use. It kept doing things it wanted to do instead of what it was told—a sure sign the system was designed to be operated by mental midgets. They need all the functions programmed by more idiots and to hell with how it actually works. If I ever get my earlier records entered, you can read how I struggled with Access for years. It would not normalize and if you don’t know what that is, you don’t know the first principle of relational design. Every record has to be normalized, I could not get Access to go past third level (of five).
           I don’t know the precise problems, but I know the situation. Somehow the original coding limited the system to three trading pairs, although that’s an over-simplification. When they went to add the pound-kiwi, they had to open an entirely new window. They ran in parallel for a week, something that usually takes months of field testing with Access. For some reason, they took away the old version and the new one is stuck in low gear. It won’t create the approved transactions. They are issuing news releases trying to cover up the problem by saying trading is slow due to the virus fallout. Guys, bullshit your mother, don’t bullshit me. I know database panic when I see it.
           My prediction? Somebody is going to get the wise idea to reboot with an older version of the software from before the blind alleys were coded in. That never works with C+ or any OOPS language. Nobody humanly possible can spot all the hidden nuances and undesirable ramifications of the slightest code change. Most C+ people cannot read their own code a week later. This would be laughable if I had not just paid this month’s $189 fee.

Last Laugh