Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Wednesday, June 3, 2020

June 3, 2020

Yesteryear
One year ago today: June 3, 2019, downtown in Nashville.
Five years ago today: June 3, 2015, the one that got away.
Nine years ago today: June 3, 2011, early RAM discussion, ha!
Random years ago today: June 3, 2012, five makes me an ace.

           A moment of silence, please, Laylay is no more. This time for certain, to any new readers that’s the white chicken. This time we recovered the body, no sighs of trauma. It appears she just keeled over at the roost, as hens are wont to do. Survived by myself, the Reb, the hillbilly, and Matilda, the red hen you’ve come to know and love in this blog. Laylay had a good life since we met.


           The eerie smart rifle. Have you seen the new Smart Shooter video (no link here)? It’s that freaky gun-sight that even the most untrained, bone-headed, drop-out volunteer can hit a target with his military rifle. Look it up yourself, asking how long before the police are using it. You point in the general direction of the target, who is generally wearing a sheet or something (instead of a uniform, I mean). The computerized lens takes over. It finds the target, locks on, and shoots it. The terrorisst will, naturally, decry this as dishonorable. It is unknown what will be said by the civilians they use for cover.
           And how about that Tesla slamming into a truck? This type of catastrophic failure is indicative of far more serious problems than making it work right. What’s suspicious is the uncanny pattern of these malfunctions. Just too often, the fail is precisely the one single circumstance the invention was designed to prevent. If there is one thing a driverless car should find impossible, crashing is it. We could forgive most other faults.

           I make the projection that if Tesla had done two things differently, we’ would have had the driverless car by 2010. One, use a coding language that works. Two, remove all the hidden agenda code, such as tracking, monitoring, surveillng, and profiling. The driverless car is a wonderful concept, the way the inately thoughtless generations XYZ will implement it is a grim, iron-fisted dystopia
           Or the Windows Defender money grab. If you are a developer, you have to pay a fee or the app will block installation. I could see maybe having to get an okay (called a code signing certificate in the usual Redmond gobble-de-gook), but they gouge you for an annual fee. I understand that Defender stops malware, but remember I blame MicroSoft for creating software vulnerable to virus in the first place. They could have made either an invulnerable or “resettable” OS by 1985 had they been so inclined. Instead, they created the age of catastrophic failure. In my time, when a switch failed, the light wouldn't come on. In the wired world, the light still comes on but your garage burns down.

           Google is being sued for $5 billion for violating wiretap laws and invasion of privacy. Now Google has to win this one or open the door for a flood more. But I could care less either way. Google has nothing on me and thinks I’m based in Poland. I don’t mean I’m anonymous, nobody is these days. Just that there is no huge file of Internet activity they can attach to me person. I’ve never had a single entity on-line with my actual information. But there is a ton of wrong and conflicting information, I wonder where that came from.
           And unless the government steps in, which it should not do, we are about to see “a tidal wave” of bankruptcies, evictions, and foreclosures. Why do I say no? Here’s a chance for Americans to unite as a people and stand up against a system that has let them down. Go back to work by the millions, they can’t arrest them all. It’s a wake up call to anyone living on credit. I laugh when I hear people complain they are living paycheck-to-paycheck. I do the same thing and manage quite well, thank you. I have exactly the same bills to pay, the major difference is I pay only in cash. No credit cards. There are other differences, but that’s where you start.

Picture of the day.
Kiln stilts.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           Biodiversity as practiced in India. This picture show a pregnant elephant that slowly died twenty days after eating a firecracker laced pineapple. These booby traps are used in India to keep wild animals out of gardens and crops. The bomb blew the animals mouth apart and she slowly starved to death. Efforts to coax the suffering animal out of the water with other elephants failed. Elephant lives don't matter.
           In their 3,000 years of superior civilization, these people have found no need to develop humane devices such as elephant-proof fencing. It’s not really necessary, for in their viewpoint, the elephant will just come back as something else. You can bet your karma this is also the way they treat each other. How do we know their civilization is superior? Well, Jesus man, just go talk to one. Those who believe in this form of reincarnation should be given the opportunity to do so and the sooner the better. India is the only country in the world I would never visit again if you paid me.

           Of all the events. I was purging old files when I found one with a list of marine repairs. I was curious how I had records of how many hours marine engines were run and such. The disk contained a resume and a phone number. I called at it is our old pal, Bryne, the guy from 2010. Remember, we painted a condo once and worked at the Paki caterers. Same guy, but I lost contact when my phone was stolen at the library that year. I’d met him in May and never got the phone into the database. He’s over near Boca Raton, hopefully he found work in his field. We may meet up next week to shoot the breeze.
           How about that sign that says everything you like about New Orleans is because of black people. I didn’t know Clint Eastwood was black. Or the Chinese guy (in 2005a0 who found he could still purchase lotto tickets five minutes after the winning numbers were announced. They jailed him for life—which is why I am against state-run organized gambling. What law did he break? The Chinese police say it was fraud. What’s that smell?

ADDENDUM
           Due to unpopular request, I’ll give you the Forex 101 lesson as applies to Auvoria. In the foreign exchange market, supply and demand causes constant price fluctuations usually measured in the tenths of a penny, called pips. Pull up a Forex web page and watch it, the best pair to watch is the USD (US Dollar) against the EUR (Euro). It’s always moving. When you are dealing with such tiny fractions, you need an awful lot of dollars to make any money. That’s where leverage comes in, and in this case, AuvoriaPrime.
           The software allows you do deposit a small amount of money, say $1,000. If you leverage that at 20:1, it means you need only put up 5 cents per dollar as a deposit. You “borrow” the rest from your broker. So of your $1,000, only some of it is actually used. Your broker ain’t dumb. If your trade loses money, the leverage works the other way. He will never invest more of your account than the remaining balance can pay out. On my account after 8 weeks of trading I average $92 in the market at any moment, a conservative stance. That amount swings wildly.

           Sometimes I will approve a trade, but if that tries to use more than 10% of my cash in the account, I get a notice of not enough funds. You can do the arithmetic but my $92 controls thousands of pips. Y’day, because of a weak New Zealand dollar, I gained over $200, but remember, the weeks before, I lost $340. That’s okay, it’s funny money, demo-dollars. And I’m learning. If the kiwi keeps falling, I may break even before closing time this week.
           Warning, if you try to do this trading without understanding the market and the investing software, you will lose your money. The sharks would pounce on you in a wink. I read the reviews of this software and saw how many said it was a scam. But so many also said they had only used the software a few weeks. That’s their problem right there—using real money before learning the ropes. At the rate I’m learning, think six months.

           Performance this week was great due to a plunge in the New Zealand dollar. My accounting period still shows a loss, but the twenty-day moving average shows since Monday, the account rose from a roughly 5% loss to a 1.46% gain. This is not a carefree investment. You cannot set it and walk away. It has to be tended, though not all that much—and likely makes more if you are there a lot. That’s a tradeoff. My estimate is put in three hours a week, that makes most of your profit. After that, it’s the law of diminishing returns.
           I stop transacting in a couple hours, there are ten outstanding sell orders poised well. These continue trading after I close for the week. I choose Saturday morning here to close the books. That’s when to check out things went for the period.

Last Laugh