Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Saturday, December 12, 2020

December 12, 2020

Yesteryear
One year ago today: December 12, 2019, peperwork.
Five years ago today: December 12, 2015, my business is music.
Nine years ago today: December 12, 2011, lamb should be dirt cheap
Random years ago today: December 12, 2016, a no-fun day.

           Are things slow? Blame the weather, I’m no igloo-type. I can always scrounge some good news, give me one minute. Okay, I’m back. I found the missing misxing bowl. I asked how something that size disappears. You see, there was a metal bow that looked too small for it to happen, but the glass fit exactly inside it and got sandwiched with my other bowls. This discover led to baking a cake, which I do not frost or ice. I make them in a pie plate for better rationing. This morning, I have one that just will not bake in the sense the toothpick still comes out damp after 45 minutes. Ah, but the aroma, along with coffee? No wonder Tennessee likes me.
           This don’t mean I have new pictures for you. This was at the Ft. Meyers bookstore a couple months back. “Things I Wish I’d Known Before We Go Married’. That’s wide open smartaleck territory for a dozen booktitles I can think of, but maybe this is a serious book. If so, why is it paperback? That’s things I wish to know before I waste money. It’s warmed up today, I’ve got work to do. Check back later.

           Yes, world, it is true, the Supreme Court played dodgeball. Only in America do we have a power system that will pick up in a wink if you miss a traffic warrant day, but allows a gang of slimy crooks to rig a national election and not only get away with it, they have a media arm to argue their right to do so. It’s not over yet, but like many, I don’t understand how or why some Democrat flunky can instantly give ID cards to a zillion illegals, but the next administration takes years and can’t get them back. This one-way mechanism plainly didn’t get implanted overnight.
           Now, nobody panic. The court only dismissed the case. My prediction stands, the Democrats have to avoid ever going into court even once, or the lid will blow off this whole election scandal. They cannot allow even one of their operatives to testify under oath, or all the blocking and covering they’ve done about the evidence is useless. I’m surprised they have not charged any one of the ballot counters who’ve openly admitted cheating. Get one to squawk and the others will turn State’s evidence, being all chickenshits at heart.

           Anyway, that ID card concept will quickly expand to whether you’ve had a vaccine and who you voted for. Thank goodness I don’t need their jobs or their support, but woe to those that do. The Democrat radicals could not have gotten so ar without the tacit complacency of millions. Since that bullsh was the undercurrent of most radio news, I took to deep reading my navigation books. I have five of them. I’ve explained before the two types of learning. The one where you memorize enough to pass the tests and hope you pick it up later, this method is known by various titles, such as “speed learning”, “Yale”, and “law school”.
           Seeking the deeper knowledge, I read some independent chapters on theory. I have not even dug the sextant out of the shed, but I will now. Without theory, you cannot do the all important “check or reasonableness” that is the downfall of so many computer applications these days. Anybody can learn to code in a few weeks, but learning to think is something else.

           What I learned most was that navigation is a complicated skill, meaning there are so many things going on at once. Any attempt to make it easy is going to result in specialized topics that don’t inter-relate with the others. This is what happened to me—and it is similar to learning electronics. One example is the approach that emphasizes the declination of the Sun. Another stresses how to find your distance from the Sun’s geographical position. Both serve the same end, but if one does not mention the other, confusion reigns. The answer, in this instance, is that to find your distance, you take the same sextant measurement but don’t need to bother with the declination You are measuring distance, not position. And people don’t normally think of distance and position as being separate.
           Lamentably, there is nobody standing by to point out this and several dozen other foibles. You may recall back when I decided to just focus on calculating GP (geographic position). It was for the same reason, lack of how it meshed. But I did it so often, Ifinally ceased and have already forgotten (don’t fret, I’ll relearn after calculating one formula). Now that I have more great circle theory, I can decide if any given reading is accurate. I did not like the other approach of taking a ton of readings and using the average. Too millennial.

           Wait, there’s more. The wimps at Disney will not digitally add masks to persons not wearing them in the complex. And Reddit, past master at asking ‘tard questions to drum up commentary, asks what country describes your sex life. Hmmmm. Most people chose Finland, where you sit around naked, sweating and drinking with stangers. Another popular choice was Lichtenstein, popular but you only go there for 20 minutes. Or England, you know, once screwed half the world now only screws itself. My choice? Bermuda.
           Bermuda? Yep, an exclusive place, I explored all the beautiful parts before I was 30, and since then, you’ll need special permission to even get off the boat. Nobody picked India or Sweden. I do not normally like Reddit or it’s clientele, but here are my top picks from their comments:

Egypt – pussy was once worshipped, now it’s mummified.
England – pulled out of a relationship, now can’t get a free trade deal.
France – because most people only come to visit once.
USA – stuffed full of big dicks.
Narnia – non-existent.
Switzerland – never picks sides but always ready, long oral history.
China – lies a lot about numbers.

Picture of the day.
The Lowther Arms.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           Par for the course, nobody has a drum box I can borrow for the interim. The Beat Buddy is $100 more than it is worth. Plus, I’ve judged its suitablity using on-line demos, fully aware of how true-to-life those genrally are. My guitar playing is stalled until I learn if I should adapt to a box or keep going. I’m so poor at guitar, I often have to learn the tune on the bass first, amounting in double effort. We guessed right, “Good Hearted Woman” is experienced a revival. Aside, take a look at this neat purple color appearing under the spikes of the agave plant brought here from Redlands, Florida, late last year. There are now four offshoots.
           I’m finding a useful “bass break” when I can’t use any other fill. Who remembers the 1964 Stones’, “As Tears Go By”? That tune was a boon to the half-baked guitarists of the era. This round, listen to the instrumental passage with the violins, or the version by Maryanne What’s-her-Facefull and tell me that is no hidden bass break in the making. What amazing foresight, there, Mick.
           Here’s an interesting sight, Songmatcher. It lists the Beat Buddy pedal settings for some 1400 songs. The site suffers from severe guitar-itis but that is their target market. Around 30 of the songs are religion, another 15 are hip-hop, you get the idea. “Whiter Shade of Pale” and “Bad Moon Rising” are still on there, hard to believe anybody plays that any more. They have a funny idea of what is country, but the concept is great.

           Sure enough, the media is blasting the public with Trump lost memes and garbage. The fact is the case was not judged on its merits, it was rejected as not a matter for that court. This, of course is shit. But that’s America, there is no one big overall court that rules over everybody’s life. Just losts of small ones to enforce general order. You can view this one way, or if you are a communist, the other way. I see there are more “autonomous zones”, and as ever, I say leave them along—but cut off the welfare checks and see how long they last. It’s a pity there are innocents in those zones, but I see no other way.
           Two hour to move two desks. The hassle is getting them through the doors, but I need that temp music room. My act can’t wait for the laundry room, though I could get away with that. I found my old 50 amp bass unit from before I learned to play through the PA. It’s one of those ridiculous “fold back” designs I laughed at when I first saw them at age 13. These have an angled back, so the amp can be tilted backwards. The idea is the bass player can hear his sound better, a definite brain-fart.
           If you can’t hear your bass playing through an amplifier, get off my stage and don’t come back. The design is a lame selling point that has survived somehow. It’s main accomplishment is when people stack other things on top of it, a common occurence on stage, it likes to tip backwards by itself. It is now late afternoon, I’m determined to get this move accomplished. The plan is to put the smaller desk in the front bedroom so a bigger bed will fit A double bed in either room makes the space too small for much else.

Last Laugh