Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Wednesday, January 27, 2021

January 27, 2021

January 27, 2021
Yesteryear
One year ago today: January 27, 2020, dog marching.
Five years ago today: January 27, 2016, low crime—by comaprison.
Nine years ago today: January 27, 2012, Gresham’s Law
Random years ago today: January 27, 2004, three ways to lose.

           The question on all our lips is how did the audition go this morning? I arrived fortified by a hearty breakfast which was known as Texus Brekfuss long before I ever heard of quiche, but back to the music results. Better than average, which is tantamount to fabulous in this county. Turns out they had been auditioning all morning and were needing a break. I think I supplied that. Allow me to get my reactions in writing. At this moment, the band is the guitarist-vocalist and drummer, who know each other from way back, only recently starting up again. I’ve been through the available musicians in Polk, so knew what they had just been through.
           Thus, I said let’s just play the list. We did.
That’s the break they wanted, somebody who could ace the part without prompts could catch on to their presentation without fuss. We plowed through 20 songs mostly ready to play out. So let’s go do it. Um, not so fast. They still have more people to check out and they are somewhat keen on a rhythm guitarist. But they were alert to how my bass playing obviates the need for a dedicated rhythmist and points to maybe they’ve never heard this type of bass playing before, I made sure to play a lot of fills. Why?

           Because it is a three-piece group and that means I’m competing with another guitarist to provide a solid background. Fortunately I bring that to the table. In addition, bringing in another band member means a pay cut, so the question is often whether that new person can bump things up to justify themselves. Around here, I know the answer. This is why I play my brand of “rhythm bass’. So the consideration is less about how well a rhythm guitarist plays, and more about how much does he really contribute after you’ve heard me play. So, quickly, what went right and what went wrong.
           The drummer is a follower, meaning he does not memorize the pulse of the music. He tended to gallop or drag. He does not sing. But he was quick to spot how most of what we played was stage-ready. His reaction was guarded but I could perceive this was not what they were used to. The guitarist was great for playing the covers, not adding or changing anything, an important consideration that escapes too many soloists. A couple times they mentioned my dynamics were good, causing me to suspect other bass tryouts had been using compression pedals.

Picture of the day.
Spomeniks.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           They actually asked my opinion and listened to it, Glen. Seizing the moment, I stated that I prefer if we continue, we keep it as a trio. And that we play out a while before considering another member. I got another message, a direct result of my playing the actual studio bass lines. On quite a few numbers I saw the light bulb go on, tipping me off that the other contenders were playing something else. Good, that says they were marginal, playing what fit rather than what promoted the sound.
           My interpretation is they have to decide between another guitarist or me. Toward that end, I will now dedicate some time to deep learning their best material. This has worked wonders for me, be the only one left standing when things go wrong, such as them relying on another guitar player. I know a lot about how reliable they are.

           The A/C in the Smithsonian needs a recharge. This is a regular event with vehicles parked over the winter. I popped the hood to discover the motor has a large plastic cover that needs removal first. The nozzle is behind it, near the firewall. Later, I found a way to get at the port without removing parts, but these days that merely unveils the next obstacle. In this case, the ridiculously short hoses that come with the freon refills. They are about a foot long. I’m going to see if I can rig one to be a yard long, but later. I need A/C already this year on the super-warm days. Remember the muggy humidity from the Gulf of Mexico, just 35 miles east of here.

Last Laugh