Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Saturday, February 13, 2021

February 13, 2021

Yesteryear
One year ago today: February 13, 2020, follow the money.
Five years ago today: February 13, 2016, almost free refills.
Nine years ago today: February 13, 2012, seems to me . . .
Random years ago today: February 13, 2013, Google’s target IQ.

           No source of Seeduinos in this area, but I’m determined to get one for evaluation. I’ve watched who’s programming what and the trend seems to be the increased use of sensors. As opposed to getting some circuit board to do something by itself, the greater part of listed projects involve measuring something external and reacting. I’m okay with that as it leads to the development of better robots. Consequently, I’ll follow what happens with sensors. I’ll record what I’ve found. I’m low on relevant pics, so here’s the automatic rear hatch on the van. It is probably controlled by a microprocessor.
           There are two models of sensors, the traditional 5 volt and the emerging 3.3 volt. My equipment is all 5 volts. The sensors all have similar parameters (and there modules to make the voltages compatible). They convert whatever they are measuring to a digital signal, usually on a scale between 1 and 1,024, sometimes called its resolution or sensitivity. The sensor must be matched to output at 5 volts, though this can be compensated for by the Uno if you don’t mind the inconvenience. If a sensor measures water temperature between freezing and boiling, for example, the halfway temperature would output a digital signal of 512, that is half of 1,024. It is up to the programmer to have the output make sense.

           With variations, that how all the sensors work, the variable is usually voltage, but I’ve seen current-based. The chore of the microcontroller is to use that information to produce a different desired result, such as work a thermostat or turn on your lawn sprinkler. The Arduino Uno, the model I use, can take direct analog input varying between 0 and 5 volts, and do the conversion for you, but as always, know what you are doing. The sensors were still newer items when I began study around 2010. They were limited in scope. Now, there are at least thirty commonly available. Here is an alphabetical list of the more popular units, with a couple I’ve never heard of before this investigation.
Flame sensor – reacts to the light spectrum of open flame.
Pulse sensor – measures your fingertip heartbeat.
Audio sensor – picks up intensity of a sound.
Infrared sensor – more of a receiver, can transmit code.
Knock sensor – motion sensor calibrated to door knocks.
Light barrier – same as photoelectric eye.
Reed switch – magnetic switch.
Touch sensor – detects human contact on metal.
Infrared sensor – sends beam and detects reflection.
Photoresistor – light intensity sensor.
Soil moisture – self-explanatory
Temperature – usually combined with humidity these days.
Tilt – just what it says.
Tracking sensor – can follow a tape path on the floor.
Ultrasonic – another distance detector, and my favorite.
Vibration – these always are too sensitive or not.
Water level – the “duh” beginner’s project.
           Some advice. If you are a beginner, you want to stay away from SMT, or surface mount technology unless you are an expert with a soldering iron. SMT has tiny pins that solder on the top of the circuit board. The older models with pins that stick through holes and get soldered on the back are far easier for newcomers. Once again my background comes into play, that once I know the how and why of a product or procedure, or am satisfied I could make it work, I don’t pursue it further unless it fits into my time and money budget.
           I don’t include vision in this list, because it is a different animal altogether. Vision encompasses an array of factors that no small sensor can hope to match, such as distance, orientation, recognition, position, size, direction, and a host of others that computers as we know them cannot process them. I will be amazed when they can. The reason? I’m convinced the approach being used is wrong, that it is not some sophisticated vision device that will prevail, but a memory algorithm nobody has yet thought of.
           At this time the only newer item that would interest me is the ability to control an Arduino from a website. There are small baby-boards called “shield” you can attach to the Uno, one is an Ethernet module. Most projects show this controlling a blinking light. If I had time, I’d see if I could do something with a sensor. I’ve no idea why each project confines itself to a single sensor. I’m the type that thinks more of integrating a variety of sensors. Good luck.

Picture of the day.
Tulip fields.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           The blinding rainstorm this morning was a good sign. Here’s another video of driving on “river road”. The Gulf is warming up for the season. I utilized the time go get some exterior paint from the recycle, who had a couple pints of wood stain. I go for dark walnut on everything because I’m used to it. Except with boxes, where I’ll test most anything, plus the slight color differences are enough to remind me what’s inside. I got other goodies like window latches which I’m going to try as box latches. Because they are 1/30 the price. But somebody always score the hinges before I ever get over there.
           I’m not much into talking personal expenses, but. Today’s numbers show that car insurance is killing me. It plain costs way too much. This derived while I went through actual numbers I didn’t have even six months ago. Gas, food, surviving, generally what concern’s the working class, has taken a severe hit. My take is nobody is complaining because the have far bigger things to worry about. Then again, it also takes money to organize. If you can’t take a group’s guns away, take away their supplies and they’ll eventually turn on each other.

           The sunshine was around long enough to get a layer of primer on the back window, shown here because you never get enough pictures of my window. Around the same time, I fixed the soffit where I suspect the chipmunks could get in, got the old bulb out of the headlight, and did a lot of tidying up the yard. That’s so you don’t conclude I spent the afternoon waiting for paint to dry.
           A closer examination of this window shows it still needs attention. Don’t even look at the wall behind it, that needs stripping, priming, and painting. The bottom sash on the right side still isn’t finished being filled and sanded. The aim was to get it weatherproofed and it will be when I throw a second coat of primer on. At that point, it may be a long time before we get back to it, but from the inside, what a treat. The morning sun in Florida makes a real difference in the winter and I plan to put the smallest but most comfortable reclining chair I can find right where it does the most good.

           Next I stopped to find the headlight bulbs, plural. I only got one, the high-beam. It was $16, but the low beam is another matter. Turns out it is one of the Xenon type that start at around $99. My hands are small enough to get at the assembly, otherwise you have to remove the front bumper. The snag is that most of my driving uses low beams so I have to get it done. Who says we take a ride to Mulberry and visit the shop that’s been good to us? This bulb has a metal box at the base that is not any standard size I know of. So that means, while out there, one would have to stop for coffee.

ADDENDUM
           I’ve found a set of documentaries on railroads, centered in the 40s and 50s mainly. These are the old style numbers with the authoritative-sounding narrator who knew sweet all. This role has been taken over by the sign-language in our political broadcasts. They are black and white and hilarious. Like this one guy smoking a pipe and pointing out that highways, airports, bus stations, and roadways were all taxpayer subsidized, but not the poor, poor railroad companies. This overlooks the land grants given to the railroads during a comparable phase of their development.
           There was a brainless reel of troop movements during WWII. Not that I doubt you could put 2,000 draftees into rail cars and not one could figure out where the train is heading. It’s how they think no enemy spies could figure this out. I was more drawn to the early mechanical systems that could make two sets of tracks work as four. Railroads were a ready made problem waiting for a computer revolution.
           Fortunately, these systems were automated before C+ programming. Somebody installed checkpoints and sensors to keep the trains from colliding. A C+ type would program the display based on the schedule pamphlet, that is, produce a display that makes it look like the job is done. When you get a pile-up, why that is the fault of the people who printed the timetable, who will insist they were only doing their job. Built in deniability as a way of life.

           Today’s best/worst three Taylor Swift jokes?

                      Q: Name on thing Taylor Swift doesn’t have in her purse.
                      A: Her boyfriend’s phone number.

                      Q: Longest book in the world?
                      A: Complete list of Taylor Swift’s boyfriends.

                      Q: What’s the words for Taylor’s split with boyfriends?
                      A: Very swift.

           Face it, gang, the sooner she gets over here and move in to my cabin, the happier she’ll be. What? I didn’t say that, I just said the happier she’ll be.

Last Laugh