Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Sunday, April 4, 2021

April 4, 2021

Yesteryear
One year ago today: April 4, 2020, code-talking is weak.
Five years ago today: April 4, 2016, on renting silver.
Nine years ago today: April 4, 2012, women with a pattern.
Random years ago today: April 4, 2008, the “it depends” bullsh.

           Top story today is a pile of pallet lumber. The excitement around here just never ends. It’s warming up enough to think of turning boards into something neat, maybe a planter or frame. I baked a pie, turkey garlic vegetabvle. I worked in the shed. Smaller places like this town close down for religious holidays, you won’t even find an open landromat. What’s this news the FBI is ignoring certain suspects in the “violent insurrection”, the one that had no rifles. They are picking and choosing who to arrest. Interesting.
           Up early to hear lots of bad news with police trying to shut down Easter services and the worst comes from Canada. This blog has always maintained that Canada is very much a police state, but of course, that means in comparison only to countries that claim to be free. Everybody in Canada has a police record whether or not you have a criminal record—the only ones the police should be able to access without a warrant. And even then under restricted circumstances that could not be mistaken for setting you up, snooping, or re-punishment. There is another facet I do not like. We should not be calling police people “officers”.
           These police are regularly called Nazi and Gestapo for “following orders”. They have shown since day one they will do what they are told, which ignores any oaths they took to obey constitutional law. We are talking sometimes centuries of this behavior. Churches have a right to free assembly that supercedes any government lockdown and the police know it. But what do they do anyway? Hence, they are not officers. Real officers don’t take orders, they give them.

           Within an ace I was ready to drive north and haul Trent out for morning Danish. He’s from the Jacksonville area, so he knows the best places and it is Florida so I’ll assume there are some pretty swank seaboard spots to keep an eye on the women these days. You can watch for tattoos, or in my setting, the absence of them. Let me look for the most expensive place in that town. Hang on. Okay, I’m back. The only Gayot listing is Ruth’s Chris Steak House with the prices listed only as “breathtaking”. It also has a view, a must for skirt-watching. Women are worse than guys for thinking expensive places draw quality prospects. Only if you are beside me on stage, Toots.
           Florida has just outlawed the vaccine passport thing. The face-diaper crowd is not going to take this sitting down.

Picture of the day.
Urumqi, China.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           More experimentation with my biscuit joiner. Yes, the videos are unreliable. It is not true you don’t have to clamp everything. The biscuits are not self-centering and the boards must also be clamped on the ends to prevent drift. It is best to use jointed lumber, which adds a layer of expense and time depending on how you get it. While videos show glue only where the kerfs are cut, if you don’t still glue the entire length the boards remain loose enough to bend by hand. It’s easy enough to slap together quick box, but any amount of finesse reduces the tool to one step of a process that could be just as easily accomplished in a variety of ways.
           I see where the biscuits could be a real savings when building shelves. But I have very little experience with plywood. It just costs too much for the mistakes I make. So went the afternoon, blog rules say I report the most prominent events, so here goes. I transplanted an agave rhizome, moved the birdbath, watered and fertilized all surviving yard plants, set up a jig to improve the cuts with the biscuit joiner, glued and clamped some pieces to gain experience, and did some general repairs to tools. Then oiled the rest. I got the scooter going only to note there is nothing but a dumb rubber ring holding the air cleaner on. T           he other screws simply retain the cover. Thus, any movement that dislodges the casing, such as driving down the road, can cause the piece to move enough to let air get inside and dry out the carburetor. So I was able to spray start the machine, but don’t know how to repair that loose air filter assembly. There is nothing behind it to bolt it onto. And I cleaned and stacked most of the pallet lumber, as well as throwing that new tarp over the sidecar to better cover sides, which I strapped with bungee cords.
           Yes, I also fed the chicken and baked a pie, but if I don’t get into a band or start that solo act soon, I’m faced with the horrible chance this sort of day could become the highlights of my retirement. You are not the only one who notices the decline when I can’t pursue my chosen hobby. Did you know I once considered stamp collecting as a lad. Then I found out they wanted you to pay for the stamps. Never had the kind of money. Oh, and I put the first layer of paint on my newest whirlagig, a copy of the first design featuring a northern cardinal. Just so you don’t think I was sitting around typing all day when I wasn’t playing bass.
           Time to accept my Sundays are just not as filled with interesting things to do as the rest of the world. They are also better at it, because I notice they even have time left over to watch cable TV and play Game of Thrones. Don’t snicker at this, I’m serious. I’m not into shuffleboard, square dancing, or bus tours. There is a real danger I could wind up with nothing to do but my hobbies. I’ve said how fore twenty years now I can’t even find anybody who has and worthwhile pastimes to chum around with. What? Ahem, I said “worthwhile”.

           The movie “The Aviator” came up on my search for aircraft documentaries, so I watched it. Little basis in reality, but it’s a great revelation of how Hollywood can cook up a fantasy that is based on fact without presenting them too accurately. This plot goes overboard to portray Howard Hughes as the eccentric kook when it’s likely he was just a recluse. I don’t care for Dicaprio’s acting. He’s award-winning, but put it this way. He can act, and Doris Day could sing, but I would not drive far to see either.

ADDENDUM
           Another interesting round with Elliott, in that he has the same attitude toward hobbies that I have about musicians. It is that anyone who does more than one can never really specialize. Therein we don’t agree because Elliott always knows other people whom you’ve never met or heard of who can play anything, but any who have a hobby have only one and are “skilled masters” at it. I know better than to compare my casual pastimes up against those rare individuals who have a passion for a single topic and do it for a career. It’s a paradox that Elliott knows so many and the rest of us so few.
           I’ve committed in writing that I chose my hobbies, they did not chose me. I avoid any with to low a ceiling, a lunatic fringe, or that are difficult to move (electric trains). I also sought something as different from one’s day job as convenient, not too hard on the pocketbook, and that contain at least some elements of practical usefulness in my situation. So rule out stamp collecting, tropical fish, and cosplay. It is stamp collecting that struck a sour chord with him, I did not know he considers it “intellectual”. But I know where that idea comes from.

           In grade school back in the day, we were told stamp collecting taught the hobbyist about faraway places, their people, their customs, what was on the stamp and why. Who recalls when Bob talked me into attending the exhibit at the senior’s center in Hollywood? Exhibit, my eye, it was all about roping beginners into buying “rare” coins and such as an investment. The only people making money were the dealers, but I was there looking for a master, the one who had learned about the stamp’s origins.
           Forget it. The only “experts” were near fanatics about whether a stamp was real or copied, new or used, rare or common. More like a cheese festival. I doubt one of them could find Mauritius on a map. Some I suspect had trouble picking their own noses. But I have to be careful not to offend Elliott. You see, guitar playing and celestial navigation share something in common. It is possible to just “memorize the formulas” as opposed to learn anything in depth. Most who contend there is no difference also lack the ability to perceive any.

Last Laugh