Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Thursday, July 29, 2021

July 29, 2021

Yesteryear
One year ago today: July 29, 2020, the squirrels win.
Five years ago today: July 29, 2016, over 110°F.
Nine years ago today: July 29, 2012, a long generic day.
Random years ago today: July 29, 2007, A/C trouble, again.

           What a day already. I thought to get up, grab coffee and toast, then buy some batteries and get on the road. Wrong, this is Florida. After and hour and four or five stops, I wish I had told the bunch of then to go fly a kite. It starts with the AOLs who turn on the lights, there are cars parked and people moving inside. But until you pull in, park, and walk up to the door, you can’t see their tiny sign that it is drive-thru only. I think this is how the millenials score, it’s their substitute for bein gunable to scotre with pretty, slim, untattooed women.
           I finally drove to the next town, Dothan. It’s been 18 years since I drove I-10. I’ve been nearby by motorcycle,just not on the freeway. Dothan is a nothing town but its prime sidecar turf with lots of shady roads and rolling hills. I crossed into Alabama north of town called Marianna, and I’ll bet that is Mennonite turf. Where else will you find 15 miles of split rail fence so straight you could sight a rifle on the posts? I like using that analogy a few times ever so often. Plus buildings and machinery in top maintained condition. As soon as you leave the area, you can tell because machinery bought on credit lacks a certain upkeep. Credit changes the way people think, the repairs get done not when needed, but after the crop comes in to make the payments.

           I drove straight though, stopping just for coffee and I tried Dunkin’s latest, avocado spread on toast. Um, it tastes more like glaucamole than avocado, and the portion is pretty small. I was hoping for nice cool weather, as my A/C is stil out. Instead it got up to 93°F by noon and stayed there. That made for a grueling 300 mile trip. I tried to break it up by stopping regularly. I saw a sign for an air force museum near the town of Ozark. Ten miles down the road, it turns out it is on a military base. I didn’t want to bother with the protocol, so instead I took a secondary trip to look at a log church. Here’s the picture I promised.
           Yep, that’s what it was. All locked up. There was a cemetary on the property, so I read a few headstones to see if it was Civil War Nope, just a regular graveyard. The picture of the van sure is nice, with the morning sun sparkling o the grill. I made it all the way to Tuscaloosa without stopping. Great scenery compared to Florida. I finally clicked off the GPS and hauled out my of 1993 road atlas. By taking the smaller highways you often get right into the historical districts when you hit town.

           I instantly liked Tuscaloosa, if only because it must be a college town. Do you have any idea how long it has been since I’ve seen eight sexy blonde girls in a group walking down a sidwalk? I got here during a hot spell, hotter than Florida. It was 95°F in the shade with a heat index of nearly 108°F. I found a cafe that looked kind of Texas. Turns out it had a selection of unusual burgers, including antelope and elk. The special of the day was yak, so what you see here is my view of the meal. I would place yak as a mild beef flavor, somewhat on the sweeter side. Quite delicious.

Picture of the day.
Vero Beach tumbling team.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           The van fridge works okay, but works even better if you boost it with ice. It will allow me to take trips that would otherwise be tricky with my injections, which require refrigeratioin. That ends in September but I still like the cooler in the van. I was on the Montgomery Highway for two hours, it seemed longer. Once more, I drove past that city without seeing it. No tall buildings and I toolka convoluted path out to through the south end, I think. GPS is a piece of shit. It seems to work about half the time which is completely substandard to manual navigation.
           Too hot, that was Tuscaloosa, so I found the nearest town library. A nice deserted building just northeast of downtown. Beautiful air conditioning and it seems unlike Florida the locals don’t converge on the place during heat waves. I had most of the top floor to myself, got in a nap, and was out of there by closing time of 6:00PM. Here’s the view of my computer setup, overlooking the central staircase.

           Even then it was too warm, so noticing there was a movie theater open in the south end, I walked in an paid $9.91 to see the first movie that was just starting. If was not worth it, but I enjoyed the cool and watched “Snake Eyes”. A Marvel comic adaption, don’t bother. Those guys have been working the same theme in the same office too long. Nothing cuts it anymore, they only survive in business, if you ask me, because their target audience gets more simpl-minded over time. I could not follow the movie in any detail, but these Japanese productions are all the same. Some loopy Asian twist on honor and loyalty and doublecrossing.
           Where do these orientals get off even thinking all their layers of ancestor worship and the whole hari-kari process is ever going to impress anybody but schoolboys over here. Snake Eyes is the standard Marvel output, the traumatized child out to avenge his paremts murder by the big bad international syndicate. And don’t forget these days you need at least two ruthless females with incredible foundation garments who seem to breeze through airport customs.

           It was still in the 90s when I stepped out into the evening, so I panned to find a coffeeshop to recharge my portable batteries. Nothing, not a place for miles and the GPS says the nearest Dunkin’ is 43 miles away. So I drove downtown and pulled into the first parking spot I could find. Warning, Tuscaloosa has some incredible potholes and the level railway crossings should be taken at less than 5 mph. Turns out I was across from a bar called Alabama, and they were playing bingo. It as nothing like my show, but what are the odds of me randomly walking into a bar full of babes playing bingo.
           Five beers. That’s how long it took my portable (laptop) power supplies to go green. With some sadness, I left there are midnight. Back at my chosen campsite, I slept like a log. The van has the same amount of floor space as the station wagon, but the perception is that it is roomier. I’m not saying the van is comfortable without the big battery suppy. I’m referring to an ordinary portable laptop supply, the ones you buy at Wal*mart. They are to recharge to extend your cell phone life, the better units are around $40.
           The thing is, they will power those small USB fans as well. I just had one of these power two such fans on full blast for 8 hours and still going strong. The trick is to get a model that will allow simultaneous operation and charging. Beleive it or not, there are millennials out there who would rip you off on this point. I’m still not able to do full posts but once I arrive, I will buy a desktop and get you the goods.

Last Laugh