Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Tuesday, September 14, 2021

September 14, 2021

Yesteryear
One year ago today: September 14, 2020, the final door.
Five years ago today: September 14, 2016, “some corporate buyer”.
Nine years ago today: September 14, 2012, packed and ready.
Random years ago today: September 14, 2010, six channels, my eye.

           America has to outlaw all campaign contributions above $100 per voter. The current method leads to disgraceful situations. Like how auto dealerships prevent car factories selling direct to customers. So Tesla opened a salesroom on an Indian (feather) reservation. Don’t look to me, I’ve been against car dealerships since day one. Some company wants to recreate wooly mammoths from DNA, carefully adding that they would “slow global warming”, but seems to me the ultimate in lab-grown meat. This is a picture of a mammoth, not to be confused with Madonna or certain genderless rap artists.
           BMW is now selling bicycles. Electric of course, and they are bigger than what you’d expect. What is standard, however, is terms and conditions. The bicycles have three speed modes, which require a smart phone to unlock. This means even where you go by bicycle is destined for some stranger’s database. I’ll say it again, you people who say you have nothing to hide are getting what you wanted.

           Watch for a couple staged bank robberies or terrorist attacks followed by laws to enforce everything from helmets to insurance to registration of these bicycles. To catch a few criminals, there will be no anonymous bike-riding in this country, even if we need an entire new layer of bureaucracy to enforce it. A layer nobody asked for.
           It got too hot to work again, so I took measurements and took stock. I read another take on the government plan to monitor all transactions above $600. It extends to the government watching all accounts that have more than a $600 balance. Is it that desperate out there? People with more than $600 after the rent is paid are now on a suspect list? It doesn’t bother me, my bank account have been carefully choreographed for decades.

Picture of the day.
Grants Pass, Oregon.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           Forgive if I seem rattled, but I went to pay some bills and had to deal with one of the ugliest women I’ve ever encountered. Not just physically ugly, to me that’s just a turn-off. But add bland and boring, now I wonder why me? Throw in bitchy and pushy, and she’s earned the title. Making good use of the trip, I also did the laundry, to discover prices have gone up by 12%. At nearly $5 per load, time to find me a good used washer. I’ve got the hookups and the van to move things. I’m willing to splurge as high as, oh, $80. This is Florida. Two hundred estate sales a week.
           Tomorrow ends an era, my statin study closes and I get the last injection. This is the changing nature of American law, where money is justice. The company that was supposed to supply me with the treatment free for life simply sells out to another that says get lost. For years now I’ve had the theory about the incredible wealth of America. If you view history, the most successful empires last a long time, until their money supply is nibbled away. I say there is a pattern to it, that America is not the richest empire that existed. What’s really happening is the American system has compressed the total wealth of an ordinary empire into an incredibly short time period.

           Life during inflationary times. I’ve cut back, but in a curious way. During the period 2004 to 2010, I basically lived on my savings, cut down as I was at the height of my earning power. My basic distrust of the system saved me, I never went without. However, that is no thanks to anybody. I naturally developed a series of habits that cost nothing. Library time, bike riding, music, and crossword puzzles are great for that. These tend to diminish a lot during good times as I’ll go to movies in Tennessee and drive dogs around for 50 miles on a Sunday.
           So I find myself turning back to no-cost activities simply because the knowledge that inflation is on the way. The process was curious because it was subconscious. I find I have an extra $193 at mid-month. Good, it means things are working right. I think I would like to take a random trip in the van. Stop back tomorrow and see if I decide to do just that, and where I wind up. Let’s say, 50 miles or 100 miles round trip. Isn’t America great, how even in decline, citizens like me can travel farther for something to do than most of the places on Earth who claim to have superior cultures. Think about that.

ADDENDUM
           I’ve got myself in a musical corner. I’m not strong enough to front a big band, that is, I’m not ready. And if you are not ready at my age, well, the rest is literally history. I can solo, I can duo, but singing for a larger (and louder) group seems to shake my confidence. As I’ve said, there is no such thing as stage fright, but there is a thing called lack of preparation. And I’m not quite prepared. This raises questions.
           Like, why am I not ready? Is this the time to waffle? At my age, what have I to lose? If I don’t try, will I ever forgive myself? Have I not gained the necessary confidence before by simply taking these leaps? How many times have I proven audiences are not that fussy? So what if I fail? These are easy questions if one is not in the spotlight. My thinking is I will probably go ahead, I’m just saying these nagging doubts have made their presence known.

Last Laugh

           x margin-bottom: 1em; margin-right: 1em; margin-top: 1em; margin-left: 1em;