Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Saturday, September 4, 2021

September 4, 2021

Yesteryear
One year ago today: September 4, 2020, their upcoming defeat.
Five years ago today: September 4, 2016, my last rent payment.
Nine years ago today: September 4, 2012, my most fascinating trip.
Random years ago today: September 4, 2007, that ain’t the point.

           That’s my emerging guitar rack. The small black piece is my five-string bass, which I only used for show. It’s the same 7/8ths scale as my Danelectro but heavier and does not have the same action, that is, I figure it is ten percent harder to play. Note the other equipment on the shelf, it will soon be quite full of this type of occasional-use gems like an 8-track equalizer and a 12-volt PA system. Today will be fun once it warms up, as it was a lightning strike y’day that took out my best A/C.
           I toyed with it, hoping to jam it on the lowest setting, no luck. It also emits a beep that can be heard all the way in the kitchen. That’s a piezo sound meaning maybe I can disable it. Dang, that A/C set me back over $200, it was meant to be the one luxury unit on the premises. Have you ever noticed a computer advertised as having a “prefetch” feature? What is it? I’ll answer because after talking to a whiz kid, I realize probably 90% of zoomers who buy one don’t know. It works in the CPU. Since instructions are written sequentially, the processor presumes the next command will be at the next consecutive address.
           It then puts that address into the stack, and if it does not conflict with the current operations, begins to run that instruction before the last one is finished. The overall effect is much faster operation. Now, if you are nice, come back tomorrow and I’ll tell you what ESC stands for, and it is not “escape”. Hint, once you understand prefetch, ESC will make sense.

           One cheer for the US pseudo-General who mistook departing Brit soldiers for American GIs. Then again, if you look at how her uniform fits, she had no eye for fashion long before she enlisted. Or Bette Midler calling for a sex strike. Trust me, she’s type-cast for the role, unfortunately the men she’s targeting are hoping for a long, long standoff.

Picture of the day.
Room temperature, in England?
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           Another day at home, have I finally trained myself to stay put all day? As long as this does not lead to watching television, I’m okay with it. Some light work on the back room was enough, it’s a long weekend. If I can maintain doing nothing, it will be the first such long weekend in my life that I actually took off. Seriously, I’ve never stayed home and done nothing even once like that ever. One thing, remind me to stock up on K-cups. I had tea, organic coffee, Columbian coffee, Paul Newman coffee, who knows, maybe Korean coffee, but no hot chocolate. There’s not excuse for being out, because I buy it by the case.
           I need an attic antenna. The old radio is rigged to bring on the news when the bathroom detects motion. But on rainy afternoons, I get fadeouts on FM, static on AM. Today, even the sucky Democrat-loving press could not disguise the low ratings of Biden, with auditoriums and arenas full of people chanting what they think in unequivocal terms. For the world to see. Some surveys show even ardent Biden voters are 60% in favor of kicking the guy out. I don’t follow California politics but I hear an upset is on the way. A recall of a Democrat and replacement by a Republican would upset the balance of power in DC. So rather than look up who’s running, I’ll just listen for who the Democrats begin to accuse of things, dig up dirt, and try to impeach.

           The time for peaceful solutions is running out. Australia is probably over the brink. If they don’t take back their country, they have lost it for at least the remainder of whoever is alive today. Technology will not protect them in the desert, they are tied to the four or five big cities and have allowed an insidious minority to pull the classic divide-and-conquer right under their noses. They’ve been shifting down that path for years and all the warning signs were there. But America had best not be wagging any fingers.
           Coverage of Australian protests and retaliation has been sparse. That new facial recognition law can be defeated a number of ways, but the best way is not having a smart phone. Problem, unless you already have a flip phone, you can’t get one. I have a box full, but they are not for sale. I wonder if there could be a revival of good old pagers. The unknown is the Australian military, who are known to operate outside of politics for the national good. That could prove interesting and decisive. If the citizens don’t stop the takeover within a few more days, their only recourse may be civil war.

           As I gain experience, I’m getting things up off the floor without bothering to organize. That will cause me headaches later, but I finally have the elbow room I want. I’ve got the biggest computer monitor yet rigged up. And just in time to find a post about Swedish women who became US stars. That’s when Swedish women were, you know, Swedish. By comparison to American types, these women were naturally great-looking. The same article showed batches of photos of Madonna, Lynda Carter, and Farah Fawcett without the enhancements and they look downright harsh a lot of the time. Also, the foreign actresses had to have talent in the absence of an uncle in the business. Even Sissy Spacek, I found out, was the niece of a Hollywood name, Rip Torn.
           Some trivia for you. The only letter added to the Morse alphabet since World War II is the “@” sign. Ketchup was originally sold as medicine. The quantity of beauty to launch just one ship is called a milliHelen. One woman in seven sends herself flowers on Valentine’s Day. Half the gold on Earth came from the former Boer republics. Elvis was blonde, he dyed his hair.
           And this may not qualify as trivia, but did you know there is a proper order in which to use adjectives? You would not say, “an old, big house”, but a “big, old house”. Get it? Well, that order is amount, value, size, temperature, age, shape, color, origin, and material.

ADDENDUM
           My readership is again climbing toward historic levels. While I’m not a hound for hits, there’s contentment knowing a normal minority exists, that’s both ways, I mean. It’s not the count, but rate of increase that catches my eye. As usual, I may never know why it dropped, I don’t even know a thing about my readers other than stats on this side. What’s the draw? It must be content because today this blog does not much resemble itself ten, twenty, or thirty years ago.

Last Laugh