Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Tuesday, October 12, 2021

October 12, 2021

Yesteryear
One year ago today: October 12, 2020, WIP
Five years ago today: October 12, 2016, a zero-paced day.
Nine years ago today: October 12, 2012, it’s how I ride.
Random years ago today: October 12, xxxx, WIP

           An autumn morning as it should be, out in the shed using my nice set of tools. Hunting around for wherever I misplaced yet another tape measure. I’m gluing up the top for Sam’s trunk after a small but hearty breakfast. I saw steak was $12.50 a pound y’day, so I bought a half pound, which I sliced in half for this meal. I have sincerely lost my taste for the product. It tastes the same as ever, but I now prefer other things. It’s official, I do not have a table saw that can cut pieces exactly square. No matter how you line it up with small boards, cut anything over four feet and you get slight variations, enough to make a visible difference.
           The interior of Sam’s trunk will be sanded to 120 grit, the smoothest grade I normally keep on hand. Many firsts on this project such as staining the interior before assembly and routing the pieces so said interior has the nicest fit. Before, I would clamp without regard to cosmetics, but that is not good enough for the Reb, in my opinion. Remind me to magnetic sweep the yard as I lost a nail disassembling the pallet at dawn.
           This is a nice view of the lid, these pieces have that characteristic pattern, it seems to be something that seeped into the wood. I like it so here is the planks being fitted. I now use the biscuit joiner by default, only using other methods when this will not work. Once you get used to the joiner, you only have to be right once or twice instead of fifteen times like other joinery. Remind me again I need more clamps. If I’d had enough, I’d still be out there.

           Over here we called it right, that the Hildebeest would interfere with 2024. She’s been dealing with world leaders behind the scenes for some time now, likely making huge promises for their support. I’ve also emphasized that unless you punished, nothing is a crime. In America, that means if you don’t get a fine or jail time, it is worthwhile to calculate one’s misdeeds in advance. There is another twist I think unique to our legal system and it is that if you get away with something long enough, you can claim an entitlement to continue. The most obvious example is known as “squatter’s rights”.
           It is, in my opinion, the combination of these legal foibles that makes it appear the rich have their own set of laws. Stealing elections qualifies. Except for the truly stupid and insane, nobody denies the 2020 election was stolen. But nothing happened because the Democrats control the civil service. They made a practice run opening stealing the California recall vote and again, no public reaction. So, now Hillary has apparently announced she will run in 2024, planning to openly steal the election. It is no longer a crime, as long as you know the right people.
           I wonder what her slogan will be? My suggestions are, “At least I’m not Joe Biden” and “Things could actually be worse.” “Anything’s better than Kamela.” Such a move could trigger secession, which is far more likely than civil war. The problem there is the Democrats are not self-sustaining. They are not going to let anything of value slip away without a fight.

Picture of the day.
Crayola packing machine.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           Six hours without a break and two good reasons for that. I only take break if I think of one, so if I don’t, I’m happy. And I must be happy at it, or I’d be thinking of a break. I’ve got a routine, leave the white shed A/C running and I find I have just the right amount of tools in there to time to cool down. It’s getting close to coffee maker installation time. In this picture, I’m inspecting the sanded interior of the planks. Making sure it is silky smooth to the touch. The only imperfections I’ll leave intentionally are visible, like the nail holes.
           These planks are also trimmed to a higher precision that usual. That’s how I confirmed my suspicions that the saw blade itself was moving slightly on its axis. I could not remember which stain I’d used on the box that the Reb liked, so I’ve never gone wrong with dark walnut. This trunk so far has required 128 biscuits and used up every drop of my wood glue

           Hours put in so far, at my best pace, probably around 24 by now, and I have not yet begun the assembly or hardware. Put another way, I’d have to probably sell these boxes for $750 each to make any money at it. (That’s profit money, calculated differently than plain income.) I have an endless list of things that need boxes around here. My air rife, the five-string bass, my battery charger and tester, the microscope. Small boxes I can usually make in a half day.
           I also joined up a shelf for the kitchen from 1x6” boards, which now cost a dollar a foot. The overhead racks worked so well for the books, I plan two more for items that do not get used that often around the kitchen. The downside is the upper shelf cannot be accessed without getting something to stand on. But for as often as I use, say, the pressure cooker, I’ll manage. Before I forget, you people with nothing to hide had best renew your subscriptions or they will trash your credit score.

           After locking up for the day, I tackled my music book. I have no qualms about using a music stand and lyrics on stage, or sitting down if that makes things easier. I’m overwhelmed by some of this but I’ve got all the inner circle telling me I’m good enough. Hey, few things would make me happier. I have not fronted more than two or three songs in a band since I was 14 or 15. That excludes my bass solo act because that is so highly specialized it does not count as a band. There is much more to this than punching holes in my song sheets and clipping them in a binder. I find it disrespectful of the audience when musicians fumble for pages.
           I’ve got the wooden reinforced binder now, and the lyrics are printed on both sides to cut down on space and weight. Instead they are printed on thicker card stock. A third of the time is needed to create an index. This is another design from hard-bitten experience. The wood just mentioned is chosen to be heavy enough to not move in the breeze and hold pages solid with a clip to the board, not the music stand. The pages have to be numbered, then entered into a spreadsheet with numbering to match. Then sorted alphabetically before printing. You’d like this system.
           For the first time at home in months, I did not play any bass today.

ADDENDUM
           This is interesting. The Southwest Airlines cave to Joe the Despot represents the highest skilled labor battle yet. Good pilots are rarer than good doctors. The evolution is neat, because pilots could care less about unemployment. They just all decided to cash in their hours before quitting, causing the shortages and cancellations. The great part is the Democrats and their media arm tried to blackball the pilots, saying it was a COVID protest. This backfired by turning the pilots into unintended heroes. So much so they are not whistling that tune.
           I like it because it incentivizes other “trade” professions to do the same. Some veteran has come up with a related idea. Instead of shutting down the country, just shut down DC. No deliveries, nothing. This concurs with my plan that instead of people blocking traffic downtown, they protest by surrounding the civil servant’s houses. Let those scum know they cannot hide in an office all day shafting others, then go home and say life is swell. Let them know they’ve made it up close and personal.
           Of course, I’m not advocating violence. Just letting the bureaucrats know they are being watched. Remember, it is them who will come after your home and your family, so it is always wise to let them live under the same implied threats. It does wonders for their attitudes.

Last Laugh