Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Saturday, December 25, 2021

December 25, 2021

Yesteryear
One year ago today: December 25, 2020, I can’t cook fish.
Five years ago today: December 25, 2016, extreme reading.
Nine years ago today: December 25, 2012, Xmas with Estelle.
Random years ago today: December 25, 2011, a good study session.

           No eggs. What a discovery to mark Xmas ’21. And at 5:30AM it’s not likely I’ll find any. Let’s make it a vegetarian day except maybe some chicken soup, a nice big batch that lasts tomorrow. So today, the morning is taken up by a mixture of work, music, and scalloped potatoes. That’s my Xmas breakfast, not bad. I was up late but now know the requirements for what is shaping up to be a significant part of my invasion of Georgia. It may be a goldmine, be sure you don’t wind up getting the shaft. All the procedures I’m learning bear one unmistakable mark of lawyers, that is, the ability to get away with things because you cannot be tasked for wrongdoing. I’ve mentally tallied that the average “operation” will require a thousand dollars up front, a bald fact once again not mentioned in the advertising or modules.
           This represents a significant challenge to new people, who would have to negotiate payment schedules left and right. That plus the minimum several months delay getting paid is a massive deterrent, which I am totally in agreement with—though I would have thought much differently in my impoverished youth. This explains why a highly trained legal secretary is such an asset. And why those living at home with the parents have, for once, an advantage. The connection here is, as I wade through the material, I recognize dozens of seemingly minor conditions that would stonewall an unsuspecting newcomer.

           Putting down the training manuals all morning to clear my head, I’m getting the big picture better than ever. And spotting what is not there, for example, how to tell which projects will take more time and the need to develop a slick mailing system. My operation is efficient, not slick. Allowing for things to go wrong is not mentioned in the modules. To be fair, they say there are delays and waiting periods, but not much about what that part could cost you. This would not be a suitable operation for those with big bills to pay now, today.
           There are 55 extra documents and sets of instructions, an amount most people would have trouble just organizing. I chuckle how some people will try to sit in Starbucks and wing this information. Not me, before I took a first look at it, I went out and bought six looseleaf binders, with dividers. Each step further I more doubt the testimonials are people who walked in cold. Then again, I see now the advertising would attract those with at least some knowledge of how to deal with bureaucrats. (I can do it, I only said I didn’t like it.)

           Shown here are some of the binders, half of which are organization material not supplied in the lessons. Yes, that is also a suitcase, not a briefcase, to carry it all in. One binder is nothing but downloads of state rules and laws, plus my initial study of the recommended states and their respective lists of counties. Some of that info has not been updated in decades, Georgia alone has seven counties not mentioned on Wiki. The steady progress here kind of eclipses my earlier publishing venture, which turned out to make such massive assumptions that I quit dealing with it.
           For example, the publishing presumed you had the same computer setup and same lack of disciplines they did. Did I tell you about that? How many of their features would not work unless you installed Google Chrome and Adobe Acrobat, apps that are not even allowed on these premises. And you can’t tell such people off because they subscribe to “fact by majority rule”.
           Want to make a small bundle? There is a service that offers, for $99, a monthly report of all the updated lists for a given state. That’s the problem, they are lists. I’ve described them, pdf printouts of spreadsheets, usually. Somebody has to manually pore over these for any new information. This is costly and error-prone. While a month is not enough time to get them all, I know which counties in Georgia have proper printouts, and which ones can be most easily converted to sortable lists. That could be accomplished in around a week per month and, if the income is worth it, I’ll find out, but such a service would be, by comparison, worth a lot more than $99.

           I know it’s Xmas day, but I’m fascinated by reading a section on how to bypass people who simply will not cooperate. It focuses on buying out the liens that others may have against them, but like myself a month ago, had no idea how to proceed. I’m beginning to like this venture more because, while it could be done without the Internet, the amount of work would be an impossibly full-time job. This is not something you do if you have any qualms about striking up a conversation with complete strangers.

Picture of the day.
The Icelandic punk museum.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           Just past noon I received the news that the Webb telescope was successfully launched. As with the Hubble, chances are they won’t publish any pictures of the nearby planets of any consequence and the others photos will be pretty but beyond most people’s comprehension. Still, it is a milestone and what a perfect day for it. I have all the house windows open to catch the breeze and that pot of chicken soup I promised is now simmering.
           From this point onward, I’m just going to tell you how things went, this being one of the few blogs that likes you to make up your own mind. I drove up to see a property for sale in my price range and it was like, drug-dealer city. Forget that, so I drove down the old highway, surprised to see the door of a pub open on Xmas day. I stopped, and the door was ajar because the guy was painting the floor. I mentioned I knew how to cut in, so the guy said he’d pay me in beer. I finished an hour ahead of him.

           Then these bikers came to the door, attracted by the activity. They were thirsty, so I pretended I was the bartender and sent them around back. The paint guy, it turns out, is the son of the owner, so he let me handle all the cash, my reputation precedes me. This increased the activity and all these other people began to stop by. The paint guy speaks no Spanish, so in the end I wound up serving around 65 beers, unaware that I was overcharging by a dollar per unit. I let him keep it all, including the tip money.

           He says the regular staff all quit and went across town. That’s none of my business so I left that alone. I found out the property across the highway is slated for 90 low-rent condos, a Federal project. The units will be 14 feet apart. Xmas and I was a bartender. You can’t make this shit up.
           And I finally saw it. A musician’s ad for a vaccinated guitar player. Stupidity eventually creeps into every corner. Well, folks, you let the state “educate” your children and now they don’t share your values, hell, they don’t even understand them.

ADDENDUM
           For more than you ever wanted to know about Captain James Cook, this link is excellent. It contains a great mix of historical fact such as why Cook knew his ship so well and how his disease and scurvy policies were often 100 years ahead. The story concerns the recent toppling of statues, blaming British exploration and colonization on white people at large. Typical savages, not realizing in a world that changes, they should be glad it was white people who showed up and at least they now have a railroad. Is that harsh? Nope, look at any nation the Spanish showed up first, and anybody who calls them white has never lived in Miami.

Last Laugh

           x margin-bottom: 1em; margin-right: 1em; margin-top: 1em; margin-left: 1em;