Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Friday, February 25, 2022

February 25, 2022

Yesteryear
One year ago today: February 25, 2021, it still needs painting.
Five years ago today: February 25, 2017, hmmm, a busy day.
Nine years ago today: February 25, 2013, the same plastic chairs.
Random years ago today: February 25, 2007, only the French version.

           That’s great, lady. She says call at 7:30AM and she turns off the phone. Other than that, we have a day planned to get plenty done. Since I can’t start anything big until she answers, how about we fix that awning trim. This time, we’ll use cedar, so it doesn’t succumb to the weather in such short order. I’m reading selected passages of Rommel’s book on tactics and what surprises me is how no other attempt but his overland attack was aimed at pinching off the Suez Canal. We saw recently how one beached ship could shut down the whole operation.
           I would have sent a submarine with a boarding crew to the southern end to seize a neutral ship. Then ram it into the side of the canal. I don’t know what precautions the British had taken, but a ship underway is hard to stop and they dared not sink it, especially if it had been fitted with mines that exploded intermittently.

           The events in Ukraine are not getting the coverage expected. And what little we hear isn’t making sense. So what if Russia captures Chernobyl, a radioactive pile of crap? Not a single word on casualties. But it has hushed up all the lame COVID headlines and diverted attention from the J6 prisoners. The left is stuck with them, they can’t prosecute them because they can’t prove any crimes, and they can’t let them just go either. They got themselves a pressure cooker. They thought they could bait Trump into making a move, then claim he was abetting terrorists.
           That was JZ on the line, he wants to go up to Tennessee next trip, then immediately ride the train or bus back. Unlike myself, he has nothing against Greyhound, the dog line. It’s a grueling 22 hour trip and they force you to wear a mask. If I was him, I’d consider the bus only to the nearest train station, which is Columbia, S. Carolina. However, the fare is $100 one way. And forget trying to get a price out of Amtrak for Columbia to Miami. They want a blood sample first.

           A wasted morning, except for news and visiting. I rounded up the hillbilly and we drove out to look at the washers. That’s the waste, they were all junk. We kind of picked up on that as we neared the neighborhood. It’s next to a trailer park where people abandon things and other people try to sell them for a fast buck We had a sincere go at making a couple of them work but each needed some sort of repair that I’m not equipped to mess with. Now the bad news.
           Remember Hot Girl? And Lunabelle? Both gone. The funny girlfriend took them to her sister’s place, where the guy that lives there called the pound and both doggies were put to sleep. He [the hillbilly] never found out until a week later. He’s still going through that phase in life where he’s learning the limits of trusting other people, and admits he’s not very good at it. I told him to check around and find me a real washing machine, so I kept Cash, the big dog for the day. First, into the tub for a much needed scrub. Then a chicken and rice dinner and he’s out on the sofa. This could be the only time he eats until he is full.
           Now he found the warm laundry on the bed and does not appear eager to move anywhere. Unless, he thinks, outside where he can roll in the dirt. He’s not getting out the door until his fur is bone dry to the touch. I’m onto his tricks. Mind you, he is an easy bath, he knows it’s for his own good. Now he’s sound asleep so I don’t get my siesta. It’s past two and too hot to do anything outdoors.
Picture of the day.
Mahuffer’s Tampa Bay dive bar.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           It’s another muggy afternoon, something that’s not due until summertime. So, Cash and I did what well-fed dogs and old men are supposed to—we fell asleep under the air conditioner and did not wake up until a half-hour after dark. As if the other doggie news is not bad enough, the neighbor lady over where he’s staying wants Cash put down as well. Her dog wandered onto the property last month and Cash, I’m told, bit his eye out. That’s usually cause.
           So I treated him to an extra helping of chicken with rice. That’s nearly 3-1/2 pounds of chicken and bones he’s had today. There was enough left over that I tin-foiled up a hearty portion for the hillbilly as well. He’s still furious about Hot Girl, he and I were the only humans that she would not run from. For siesta I continued reading about Rommel’’s tactics but as always, you run into propaganda about how he was “outfoxed” by Montgomery, which is plain not true. What’s really the case is how much damage and disruption Rommel was able to cause with his meagre resources—which speaks volumes about Montgomery’s ineptitude.
           With such a crushing superiority in equipment and numbers, he should have walked all over Rommel. Instead he played the politician’s game, trying to pretend each setback and bloody nose he got was part of his plan which he was keeping secret until it was time to spring. Bull, if you examine the tactics, he just kept pouring more and more resources into each blunted thrust until Rommel ran out of supplies. That’s not really how great generals do things.
           This picture shows around $800 in silver, but it is not for sale. Today’s addendum has more info.

           Music is not a field where I count on luck. Luck hasn’t amounted to 1% of what’s happened in my long pursuit of a band that lasts. But today, I stopped to drop off the tray of trivia cards and who do I see on stage but this dude I used to jam with when I first moved here. He’s a confirmed solo act but he knows who is looking for a bassist. He was just getting back on after a break, so I could not wait around. This time, I have his biz card and he said he wanted to hear our duo sound again. Thing is, I can’t remember where we jammed or even one tune we played, which bugs me.
           My memory is bad, but I still should recall what’s important to me. He’s got that “Eagles” sound which I can follow in my sleep. I also read a short chapter on logic gates. This isn’t something to interest most, but I used diodes to construct that ROM card so many years ago now, and I ran across some diagrams of gates using only diodes. There are myriad books on the finer points of which components work best or fastest or use the least power, but the only component I could wire up myself is transistors.

           However, I have a large number of diodes, and they are easy to breadboard. I don’t mind the drawbacks as long as a circuit works. If I can find a spare half-hour, I want to build a working gate using only this device. The ROM card used a brute force approach, but can I get diodes alone to perform logic?
           Plainly it has been done, the source of my hesitancy is the same as ever, I do not like circuits that remain hot until you take something away. At least some of the diode-only gates must use that principle. Two opposing voltages, for example, keep a gate closed so when you take one voltage away, the gate opens. To me, it is just one added thing that can go wrong. But I’m confident I can build it, if I can get one working, I have a few ideas I’d like to try. I know they are not original, once again I say only that they are independently derived.
           Your trivia for today. The derringer, that little two-barrel gun, was not just popular in the movies. Remington sold 150,000 of them.
ADDENDUM
           I was unaware that ten ships per year (average) are lost to cargo liquification. Dry bulk cargo like aluminum ore (bauxite) reacts to pressure and motion in the hold and sloshes like a liquid. If it causes the ship to list or roll, there is danger the vessel cannot right itself.            Silver is again bloggable because of the war that cured COVID. That’s correct, the media was hitting a brick wall with their pandemic bullshit, and there has not been a word about it since the non-war began. But war always increases the demand for silver and it has not. Yes, I still have the silver from 2012 or so, it was my reserve. You recall, it dropped to half-price right after I fulfilled my target, but you don’t lose unless you sell. You see, I know something funny was going on but not what. Now I know.

           The big banks co-mingle the real silver market with the paper silver. Some estimates say there are 200 times more paper ounces than real ounces. So what happens is every time there is an increase in the price for real silver, the banks begin a flurry of trading. Millions of ounces trade hands at a lower price, say today it is $23.50. When anyone can then go on-line and see “silver” trading at that price, no way they’ll pay you what the real silver is worth.
           The question is, what is the real silver worth. Using the ratio of 200:1 would put it at $4700 per ounce, which sounds outrageous but is quite realistic. Right now, I would not sell you this silver for a tenth of that price. I’d wait two weeks and sell ten ounces at a time.

Last Laugh