Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Saturday, February 26, 2022

February 26, 2022

Yesteryear
One year ago today: February 26, 2021, pie, that’s what’s missing!
Five years ago today: February 26, 2017, cat, scooter, birdfeeder.
Nine years ago today: February 26, 2013, Chord Buddy made millions.
Random years ago today: February 26, 2001, a typical “calendar” redaction.

           The Webb telescope has completed half the alignment process. It will be a while yet, but the mechanisms have succeeded in getting all 18 mirrors to converge to a single point. This isn’t the same as them acting as one big Newtonian reflector but is indication of how smoothly this whole project has gone so far. To me, it is incredible it took ten years after the last Space Shuttle flight to get anything underway again. That damn shuttle robbed me of my dream to see a manned landing on Mars in my lifetime.
           I took a look at the 2019 tax forms, upon discovering the hillbilly did not file that year. We’ll get him something, what struck me was the instructions contained directions on what to file if you were “110 years or younger”. I thought only Democrat voters were over 110 years old.

           I had the dog for the morning while he ran to the store, so there might be some yard work accomplished today. Cash has to be restrained. The hillbilly has a long length of plastic-covered clothesline, but the end pieces are eyebolts that can attach to anything. He had to run off to the store, so I got into the shade of the workshed and fixed together something that works. Remember the carabiners from that swingset salvaged from Tennessee last year or so? That is seriously the most important thing that happened around here this morning. Possibly in all of Florida, as well.
           And guess what might be going right back to Tennessee? Remember that aluminum sofa frame we pulled out of the bushes? It’s here, I’ve cut new slats but never attached them because I never use the thing. That repaired and over-repaired lawn swing in the Reb’s yard still has the chains, I left them in the back yard, but I might get newer hardware. It depends on the measurement but the wood beam on the swing is still solid and it is the nicest lawn ornament in the neighborhood.

           By late morning, the hillbilly is still gone and the heat wave got us inside, Cash has now found that cool spot right in front of the fridge where the kitchen A/C flows best. All the web sites I peeked at say not to recharge your own A/C unit, call a technician. So, either learn what is so difficult about it, but easy enough for a technician to learn. I see the way the market is controlled is by requiring a license to purchase the freon. The gas itself is dangerous to human skin and flesh, but so are many things that come in metal bottles. I’ve been around while the recharging happens, just never paid attention. But I do know that there are few laws that can prevent a homeowner from working on his own gear. Still, that’s not helping if you cannot buy freon.

Picture of the day.
Decorative birdbath.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           See this bass? Your eyes must be funny. Okay, I admit, the picture is blurry. The camera autofocus gets fooled by the strings. The point is, this is the bass that used to weight 8.1 pounds. It now weighs 6.0 pounds and works just fine. My goal is to get it down to 4.8 pounds and I have the Forstner drill bits to achieve this feat of musical instrument dynamics. I would have set the focus manually, but it is a Sony there is no guarantee changing it back would not take a half hour of frustration. Once the weigh loss is achieved, the holes will be painted black to match.
           Recently I described the problem with Buckhead, the white community of Atlanta. How, if they separate, it cuts off something like 98% of the tax money that supports the whole city, the rest of which is pretty much on welfare. Trump finally took notice and said something. Apparently the split has to be approved by two levels of government—levels no doubt put in place smoothly and quietly by the Democrats under the guise of something else. Well, the RINOs in power rejected the move.
           It will backfire on them because now countless more people will become aware that RINO is not just a name tag or a mild insult. These people call themselves Republican but then vote and act in direct contravention of the things they promised to get elected. Now telling Buckhead they cannot separate smacks of much larger issues, all of them pretty ugly when it becomes white people who can claim their rights a violated.

ADDENDUM
           I did a good turn, they say if you mention it, it cancels the deed. I suppose bystanders would have that attitude. I stopped at Kooters to do some writing and the new tender was doing a fourteen hour shift. She was dying for a coffee. For an hour I thought she was just saying, but I caught the message and went to Wal*mart to get her some Folgers. What a good boy am I.
           As it was late by now, I stopped at the old club. I was only intending one, but the crowd was not like I’ve seen at my gigs in ages. Everybody was up to speed and I’ve told you before, if you like the married housewife types, this place was packed with all shades of blonde. I stuck around mainly because Karaoke suited the mood. For such a large gathering there were only some six singers, rotating fast. So at the end of my last beer, I read the crowd and sang “Tequila”. Smooth move mainly because it contrasted with the dirges the others were singing. That, plus I have two personalities. One, the bookworm over in the corner, two, when I get on stage.

           Something else, the bar was around 80% new people. There was a wedding nearby and they were in a drinking mood. The joint was a-rockin’ and there were so many housewives out there it could have been lady’s night. As for the men present, they were the type that would play pool in a stripper bar. Or maybe they just know their odds. Yes, there was more. It was five years ago (y’day, I think) when I met the mother-daughter band.
           The risk with singing “Tequila” is if you don’t pull the crowd in, you are sunk. I had the front four tables full of women eating out of my hand. What a show! When done, I turned to set the mic down and who is standing off to stage left but the mother-daughter. While I don’t like them that much as people, they are kind of clannish, five years ago we would have been an unstoppable band. They jammed out that opportunity and this is the first time I’ve seem them out together since the daughter gave birth. Yes, boys, she has her figure back.
           Well, I could not tell tonight but I assure you there is no animosity between us. None, just no cause for it. But if I am not mistaken, they were staring knives at me. I was on my way out the door anyway so I didn’t ask. But the thought crossed my mind, what if this was her wedding? If so, they were not dressed for it, nobody told me, and lots of regulars also sang earlier. All potential band situations are important, so it makes the blog.

Last Laugh