Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Wednesday, March 16, 2022

March 16, 2021

Yesteryear
One year ago today: March 16, 2021, buttered pecan.
Five years ago today: March 16, 2017, another guitarist dead end.
Nine years ago today: March 16, 2013, hate non-standard memory.
Random years ago today: March 16, 2008, Javascript sucks.

           Rumor has it the Governor of Florida just eliminated the state tax on gasoline. Canada pushes for an Internet kill switch, saying on-line hate is preventing too many good people from doing their jobs. There’s something strangely familiar about all that. The banks have hammered silver prices back below $25, it’s a classic pressure cooker. In Canada, 48 people have a newly diagnosed brain disorder that prevents them from writing the letter Q. An Aussie soccer star who pushed people to get the jab died of a heart attack on vacation in Thailand. He was double vaxed, so he would have wanted to go that way.
           The leftoid Cheney is afraid to visit the state that elected her. She tried to charge people $10 to hear her speak. A group of Republicans bought most of the 350 tickets so it is doubful she’ll show. And it is a good morning. A day to work on shelving in my silo. Feel free to help out. The good news is I’ve been contacted by a musician 10 miles from here who sent me a few recordings. All material I already know, and he is a candidate because he is a mediocre singer and a somewhat above average rhythm player. This is the ONLY combination that has ever worked out for me. Real pros are far too finicky to work with. More as it happens, you can count on that.

           Here’s a picture of 50 rounds of .22 Longs, or around 18¢ apiece. The last time I bought them they were 6¢ and the time before that, when I was ten years of age, they were 1¢ each. I used to laugh at the boys who “earned” money by shooting squirrels. They were paid 1¢ for each squirrel tail. So even if they made every shot count, which I have yet to see, they broke even, not counting the trip into town to buy the ammo. This is a measure of inflation, since bullets are a very competitive market. My dollar today is worth 1/18th of what it was. So for every $100 of pension I planned on, I must today pull in $1800 to have the same purchasing power.
           As Trump’s speeches tend to repeat, I watch them in segments, and fell out of my chair on his comment in South Carolina, “the stench of the Biden administration”. Could not have said it better.

Picture of the day.
Lemon Valley, St. Helena Island.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           Working steadily on past 2:30PM when another storm hit. It is not summer yet, so why the afternoon downpours? I got the new shower rod cut, one that cannot be bent, and I managed to get more of the rafter holes plugged, let me look up what they are called. Stand by. Well, they are just called blocks, and the instructions show each one secured by eight nails. Mine get two screws culled from my “used once” tray. I also hauled an extension ladder into the silo and got to work on that upper shelf, over six feet off the floor. It’s slated for food mainly and has to be solid as possible. The “survival” features of the shed are done, so it is nice, quiet, and dry to work in there. There is radio and soon a DVD player. There is even a cot.
           I estimate the shed is four times stronger than a regular structure, most pieces are metal strapped and most joining pieces have a lag bolt every12 inches. Wow, 40 minutes later before the rain quit, this yard is not going to dry out today. The street out front is flooded again, meaning most of my neighbors have trouble. Sad, but not my problem, this cabin and the house next door are up around, I’d guess, 9 inches at the east side, sloping to 6 inches in the west, so the worst I get is some puddling. If this keeps up another week, it often means a mild summer. Mild means at night it might drop below 80°F.
           This is my pantry, not my emergency food. The pic is because I spent nearly five hours getting the shelf underneath this photo into place. Two men, maybe one hour but as ever, nobody showed up in the morning or the afternoon. They only ask for work when it is convenient for them. Note the boxes of Rural King coffee. In my college days, I sometimes live two or three days just on coffee. My marks suffered, but at least I did not quit until there was no hope left.

           This photo shows the world’s highest trash heap. It is gear abandoned at the top of Mt. Everest by lazy climbers. At that height, you require oxygen breathing aparatus, so they just leave anything they don’t want to carry behind. The government should step in, that trash will still be there otherwise for thousands of years. I’m on my second coffee, it might be clearing up, let’s check my band bulletin board again.
           Here’s a lady from Lakeland, says she is 59 and plays 26 instruments from bagpipes to the ukelele, and has done studio work the “what” Yoakum. I like women who are intellectual powerhouses. I’ll pass, but I also know I’ve seen that lady somewhere. I think I may have danced with her.

           If so, she is one loopy ditz-head, but that is not a big minus sign for me. As long as they don’t get on my case, I’m okay with musical crazies. My ad clearly specifies that people must contact me first, as I can only reply—the site does not accept cash and therefore I cannot join as a member. If she responds, I’ll check it out. I have seen this lady up close somewhere along the line. You don’t forget a nose like that.
           There is another look-only type keeps clicking on my profile, Danny from Mulberry. He’s not reading the directions. I think I’ve seen this guy in the barber shop and he’s lost a lot of weight. I wonder if he’s the same one who practiced once and decided to quit since I could not sing his song list or he would not play mine.

           The sun came back around 4:30PM so I put in another three hours and finished, the shelf unit. The hard part is working up so high, every piece has to be lifted into place and even on the step ladder that is the max of my injured shoulder. I just took it easy and got it done, including a center bracket that I may regret later if I ever need to finish any of those walls on the interior. I’m pretty tired by now, that good kind of tired from a day well spent. Let’s take a late peek at the news feeds.
           Nothing much, just the usual that every mess is Trump’s fault while he continues to garner massive support and hold rallies the Democrats could only dream of. They could not pull that kind of enthusiasm out of a crowd even with hired help. The mess in the Ukraine is fading as people shift attention back to the border and inflation, both items the radical left has desperately tried to keep out of focus. Additionally, more and more leftist politicians are claiming they caught COVID in a sham to claim it is the fault of people who refuse to get the jab.

           Double ha on two items. First, Gateway Pundit is basically quoting what this blog said months ago. That Trump is avoiding leftist-implanted campaign finance laws by simply not running for office. Two, a Democrat has filed a complaint about Trump over this. They cannot touch him with their crazy laws which were put in place to use taxpayer money to clobber anybody who ran against them. But the laws have zero effect on Trump, because he is cleverly not saying if he will run. The complaint from a furious Democrat, says Trump is subject to the laws because he is acting the same as if he was running.

ADDENDUM
           Har, I could not help but laugh over this article about BBC buying a bulk tape eraser and blotting out their own archives. The article is an interesting read because at the time television was supposed to be “live”. Nobody anticipated the rise of the American idiot class and the market for old TV reruns.
           Another 36 views, but no contact from my music listing. If I was in Tampa or St. Petersburg, I’d probably be in a band within hours of arrival. But Polk is the orphan of the industry, caught between two megapolis cities, neither of which I care for.

Last Laugh
(Yes, that’s Emma Watson @ 31)