Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Thursday, March 17, 2022

March 17, 2022

Yesteryear
One year ago today: March 17, 2021, pretend to agree.
Five years ago today: March 17, 2017, Grove Roots, now bankrupt.
Nine years ago today: March 17, 2013, an odd-ball entry.
Random years ago today: March 17, 2011, that Tom guy again.

           I’m playing catch-up on dozens of small projects. The supply of pallet wood has dried up so I can’t work on the shed, but most of the shelving is done, so I can clear space to work on other stuff. There was a heavy fog, unusual this time of year and this far inland, since before dawn. It is now 8:30AM and it is not burning off. I went over the latest tax lists from Georgia and the place has been picked clean. The only new listings don’t activate until this upcoming September. But, our business side is set up for any opportunity now.
           The Reb reports it was a two and a half-hour grill session to open the business account. It was more like a survey and insisted she answer questions like how will you be paying your utility bill, by cash or check, this type of nonsense. She was treated as if we were applying for a business loan rather than opening an account full of cash. American banks have become nothing but tools of the state. I now have to show ID every time I make a counter withdrawal, from people who have known me six years.

           What I want is a new microscope. The Barska I have lacks the video software and the USB cable won’t read the memory card, plus it is the now impossible to find B model plug end. I found what looked like small tentacles in my drinking water. It turned out to be nothing but tiny thread fibers from my housecoat. Just then an article popped up that broke my little heart. Somebody finally wrote about the problem of bad teeth that the primary cause is not bad habits or hygiene, but, although they won’t say it directly, parental neglect. They prefer to say lack of dental insurance. In a larger sense it is parents having more children than they can afford. The tax and voting system in America encourage that brand of irresponsibility.
           This is garbage day, so I finally wonder what is with the sound of heavy pounding machinery outside my house? Turns out it isn’t the garbage truck. I’ve written about that bad sewer grill across the roadway. I think that grill was put in before the road was paved, so it sets too low on the curb. Water runs toward it so fast, there is no chance for silt and leaves to settle out. I don’t know, a city work crew is one of the few jobs I would reject for almost any pay. The commotion had me thinking they’d repair the thing, but all they did with six men and three trucks was pump the thing out. I don’t even like watching inefficiency so I think once you collect a government paycheck, you accept inefficiency as normal.

           The Webb Telescope. It is difficult to follow due to NASA releasing news to the highest bidder, in this case CBS. I don’t know if it is money, but the events get spread around, suffering from the degree of ignorance of each millennial reporter. We do know the scope now works “as advertised” in that the 21-foot diameter of mirror plates have been aligned to the specs claimed before launch. The process so far has gone so flawlessly, I believe they are going to try for alignment down to the molecular level at the center of the mirrors.
           So far, they’ve got the incoming light rays to converge on a single point. They succeeded and snapped a photo 35 minute exposure of star 2MASS J17554042+6551277. Thus proving what really needs alignment is the brain cells of people who name stars.


Picture of the day.
Hanoi slum electric service.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           I put gas in the scooter, $3 at a price of $4.29 per gallon. My total expenditure this month is $43, but I have not gone anywhere. I need to hit Miami some time soon. While downtown, I bought the bottles of spice, namely curry, ginger, and nutmeg. Over $11. Food has doubled and there will be consequences for whoever is responsible. Right now public mood says it is the whole Democrat thing. I tend to agree, Democrats buy votes and they have not paid back their donors yet. That kind of money doesn’t exist outside of drug cartels.
           You know why this photo made the blog? Because I misplaced that sprayer. I hate that and said I would search until I found it. Two hours later, it became the big event of the afternoon. I had set it on the ledge near a window, then inadvertently propped a large can of oatmeal right in front. I had convinced myself I was on an anti-senility combat mission, I was not going to let this go. So now I’m happy. During the process, a lot of stuff got moved in the silo, freeing up space inside the house, and that is always welcome. The raked back yard soil is very fertile for weeds, so I may see about starting some flowers. I’ve failed several times getting anything to grow.

           The rhythm player has responded a second time, saying he is not a front man, but that is what I want—somebody non-competitive, that is, who’s best game is to cooperate. I’ve asked twice for a sample short list, nothing yet, but his web area gives some samples of country material that I can work with. I’ve made it clear I’m seeking a duo, so it was duly noted he had recorded no solo playing. He’s said he isn’t in it for money but I tend to ignore that facet since once we get a song list together, it is always highly marketable.
           I’ve run the numbers again, the top pay for most weekend gigs in Polk County is $200. My last band with four people has gotten as much as $300, but the split makes it barely break-even. At $200 plus tips split 50/50, there is enough to tempt anyone if the performance is easy. And you’ll rarely find an easier gig than being on stage with me. I’m going over to Bartow for a St. Pat’s pint, but first, let me grab my bass for a quick session. I’m trying to memorize some bass lines to tunes the old band knows, but I’ve never heard until they came along.

ADDENDUM
           Democrat voter approval has sunk to 18%. These people must have been cheating with the voting machines since day one.

Last Laugh