Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Tuesday, March 15, 2022

March 15, 2022

Yesteryear
One year ago today: March 15, 2021, stockpiling, a few words.
Five years ago today: March 15, 2017, blizzard is an invented word.
Nine years ago today: March 15, 2013, at least one person.
Random years ago today: March 15, 2002, another database project.

           The hillbilly came by later this morning and I told him he cannot keep the dog here any more. Sorry folks, the dog is too much for me and has obedience issues. That’s twice in a row he’s stuck me with feeding and walking the dog and I cannot allow any other such obligations into my life. I would have gone to Miami already but I had no way to leave or take the dog without knowing if he would be fed. In this town, the dog catcher is also the animal cruelty agent and the last thing I need is something untoward on my property.
           The Reb’s car has finally become too much. The dealership reports she was to drive it around until it threw a code, and now it may have thrown a rod. She reports driving home last day it suddenly slowed to 60 mph (everybody in TN drives 80) and the engine light came on. Fortunately, she made it home and knows a friend with a code reader. It is not in condition to drive to the dealership, so we have a problem. I’ve contacted a lawyer.

           What you see is the cheapest piece of inhabitable property near Nashville, if you consider 40 miles nearby. It came up on my monthly search of the cheapest such place and this was formerly a three-car garage. It is unfinished on the inside, so there is something wrong, such as maybe it has to be torn down. But nobody is saying. The list price is $24,999 with just under an acre of wooded land. There is power and city water, the inside is nothing but gravel and 2x6” framing, ideal for a hillbilly. I’m throwing in an offer for $10,000 “unless somebody is willing to say what is wrong with it”. Since it has been on the market a few days, there may be a restriction against living in the building or something. The Reb says she can check it out, but as I was watching the listing, it changed from available to under contract.
           Things are brutal out there, nobody has any money and the banks are not lending. Will we see another collapse? I hope so, this time we are ready. And it finally happened. Some new law just passed has placed a restriction on my bank account. I have to show ID every time, and they key the information in. Each time. This seems to apply only to those with balances above a certain amount who pay for things in cash. And I did buy that car in Tennessee last month.

           The bank manageress suggested I could avoid the inconvenience by using a credit card “like everybody else”. I know it sounds biased but this is the outcome, and I know it is difficult to see the connection, when you let women vote. I’m not saying that is a bad thing, but there are many books written on the slow decline of a society toward wokeness when you give power to people who want you to “understand their feelings”.
           I’ve begun watching my gas mileage and total mileage for the first time in twelve years. My van mileage shown here today is 155,555. The horn and cruise control don’t work, the two things I did not check during the test drive.

Picture of the day.
Madeleine Refern.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           A drive to the only US Bank in the area was a waste of time. On-line says they were open, when I got there 35 miles away, I got millennialized. A tiny sign on the door, after I parked and walked over said due to COVID, temporary hours. They closed twenty minutes before I got there. What kind of bank closes at three in the afternoon? I took the long way home, via the road to Frostproof. The early orange crop is almost ready, this isn’t the best photo from a moving vehicle, but you can just make them out.
           I bought more food to stockpile but Rural King is starting to suspect my cover story that I own a restaurant. If I did, I would not really buy so much retail. I go eight cases of coffee at $8.99 each, up a dollar from y’day. But that’s okay, other coffee is now $33 for the same quantity. My next scheduled trip is next month, so I’m resolved to get more shelving in the silo for food storage.

           Florida has barely been hit with all the COVID bull donkey, but we are not immune to price increases. I don’t have storage for bulk items, or for that matter, perishable things like sugar and flour. Small, high-value stuff, like spices and peanut butter, I can always make room for. And I avoid what I cannot use myself. But I did buy a box of .22 caliber ammo to see what it costs and if there were any laws I did not know about. Some 23 states have passed open carry laws, meaning mostly you can walk around in public with a gun in a holster. This is something that citizens of less free countries can never understand.
           The thing is, open carry is a clear signal to the Biden group not to push too far. Democrats know stealing and election is a far less risky project than trying to steal a country. They would love to take guns away because they have to before there is any chance of grabbing power. I saw a revolver, what you’d call a six-shooter, for $150. I have not done any real shooting practice in many years, I should reconsider.

Last Laugh

           x margin-bottom: 1em; margin-right: 1em; margin-top: 1em; margin-left: 1em;