Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Saturday, April 16, 2022

April 16, 2022

Yesteryear
One year ago today: April 16, 2021, “their” Internet vs “my” computer.
Five years ago today: April 16, 2017, Easter Sunday. Food.
Nine years ago today: April 16, 2013, Chatham stinkweed.
Random years ago today: April 16, 2015, prototypes only!

           For those who cannot figure it out for themselves, particularly after Alexis, yes, your computer microphone keeps recording you even after you mute it. What a great morning, except I suppose for liberals and Democrats, but what did they expect? They are totally occupied trying to block Musk from buying Twitter. In case you didn’t know, they are using the Vanguard investment group’s money. Guess who the largest shareholder is in Pfizer? Yep, I’m going to move the shelf in the silo so the big TV will fit. And tomorrow I meet up with the pro guitar player from Winter Haven. Sooner or later, I am going to find somebody who can go the distance.`
           Here are some zinnia sprouts after just over one day in the soil. These are slated to take 6 – 10 days. Evidence again that early growing conditions in this area are ideal, yet that so rarely is followed by any mature growth at all. This soil is half and half potting mixture and local sandy dirt. The storebought brand has mild fertilizer built in that works just fine, so I leave it. Have you seen the price of fertilizer lately?

           We are being blitzed with a new ad, declaring “What You Should Know Before Getting A Second Booster Shot.” The opening warning is 1,237 words long. As a public service, I will tell the jabbed all they need to know about COVIID vaccinations in three easy steps.
1) you are a moron of the first magnitude
2) you supported an evil that harmed everybody
3) you gonna fucken die
           I went to recharge my A/C on the van and encountered an all-too-familiar situation. The thing is charged up judging by the meter, and a quick spray shows there is a proper gas mixture. But the cold gets weaker over a couple months until there nothing, yet it will not recharge unless I take it into a pro shop, who do exactly the same procedure. I’ll get this. Pisses me off, though. The guitar player and I are finally meeting up tomorrow, so expect band news. Why? Because from his communication, he has the same frustrations as myself. He just wants to get out there and play, he needs a band, and people keep letting him down. Good, it preps the situation for me.
           There’s a humorous parallel to this. Most men over 20 will tell you practically the only time you’ll meet an unattached woman is one who just ended a relationship. Same with guitarists and bands. How many times I’ve met the right guitar player already in another group. I’ve got a good idea this is the guy with the Eagle Lake band I’ve kept an eye on. If so it is an interesting path, the decline from wanting totally dedicated rock band flunkies to now just hoping to find a situation that works. I’m terrible with names and faces, but maybe he will remember what I think was our jam sessions so many years ago. If it is the same guy, once again the only barriers to us being on stage with a few weeks is a personality clash.

Picture of the day.
African super-highway.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           Another case of the summer doldrums, though I did get in several hours late in afternoon. I connected the new garden hose and ran a few fittings. I wish I’d mounted the tap higher up the wall, as where it is you can’t get a buck under it. I still have a section of plastic pipe to run so it isn’t all over yet. We do have a tiny new bird at the bath, but it may be a juvenile. I’ve also seen Mr. Red enough times to know he’s actually getting used to movement in the back yard signally food. I cut the bracket for the Roman A/C, deciding to push them though matching holes in an old board rather than try to rig up some kind of strapping.
           I’ve got to do something about the hillbilly’s gear. He’s plainly in the slammer or something because he was in the process of moving it. Now it will be an eyesore if the summer rains arrive and that means I’ll throw up a small lean-to. But that’s, I designed the shed so it would use up all the scrap lumber around the yard as siding. Otherwise out it goes, whether he’ll need it or not. Even that isn’t a given, the garbage truck didn’t empty my bin this week. It was out there a day early to make sure, but now I’ve got smells in that corner of the yard.

           So we’ll liven it up with this pretty picture of my sand mixing bucket. Best bucket I’ve owned. Great paint job. It’s been a couple weeks since I reported on my A.I. project. That’s because the necessary environment for the complier would not install on this computer. But, I’ve found something. If it flies, we begin on the logic part. What is the thing that makes it “intelligent” and how do you code it. This could well be an eye-opener for some future archeologist who uncovers it after the fake A.I that is out there today finally destroys civilization by replacing it.
           There is a intriguing aspect of how A.I. will affect the job market. While higher intelligence is a great thing, it is far from infallible. To me, that explains why fields like law and medicine are first targets for this software. Like machinery before this, and robots today, there is great concern that it will put people out of work. Instead these created newer jobs, though jobs with a higher drudge factor. Well, if you examine the projections, with A.I. as it stands, the jobs that are the safest are also the low-level shovel and bedpan occupations most people don’t want.

           After dark, I decided time to head downtown. The scooter, with its carburetor redone by a snowmobile mechanic (yes, they sell snowmobiles in Florida) is getting steadily worse and now often has to warm up completely. Knowing it is between paydays in the area, I was aiming for a quiet evening to review the new guy’s song list in greater detail. This time I’m looking for problems. That’s problems, Ken, not trouble. We got the good news already, that slapping together 40 songs and gigging won’t take long—if that’s all there was to it. So, what have I found that I need to be prepared for?
           Right off, the size of the list. Nobody I’ve ever met can properly play 87 pieces. We know your average guitarist manages only 12 – 15 good tunes and junk after that. I know on bass my upper comfortable number is 41. Even then, I don’t like to push it. Now, lets look at tunes I don’t recognize. I count 34. It hints at a lot of slow, draggy guitar music which I don’t listen to. Counter balance that with around 15 other songs on the list I would have played given the opportunity, such as “Cinnamon Girl”. But I cannot in the least place “Gonna Make Me Lonesome” or “So Sad to Watch.” (That last one is short for an old Everly Brothers cutesy, but to me they only ever had one hit and that wasn’t it.)
           A lot of Crosby, Stills & Nash, I hope this guy doesn’t think I do three part harmonies. By halfway through I’m convinced this guy is much older than I am, but this is a reality of playing non-electro-tribal-thump music. Kill the s.o.b. that ever told the Grateful Dead they could play blues.

ADDENDUM
           TMOR (to my overseas readers) here is some political humor. This picture is a play on a ridiculous situation the Democrat party has created for themselves. They love to champion themselves as saviors of the weak and downtrodden, so following suit, a lot of dishonest people like to pretend to be needy. I’ll describe the situation, you can figure out what’s funny. First, there is an old American Indian tradition that a mother names her child after the first thing she sees after childbirth. Hence you get names like “Black Wolf”.
           The lady on the left claimed to be an American Indian on a university application form, so she could get preferential treatment on admission quotas. She is obviously not Indian, though she later claimed one of her ancestors was 1,024th Cherokee or something, earning her the nickname of Pocohantas, the 14 year old wife of an early explorer. She parlayed this lie into becoming a US Senator on the Democrat ticket. Hence the play on words, “lying dog” which is not a dog lying down.

           The other woman is worse. She’s East Indian, daughter of slave owners who immigrated to Trinidad. She is the classic low-grade whore who slept her way into politics. Since the Democrat party could not find an acceptable black woman in 2020, they chose this disgraceful, uneducated woman to pose as vice-president. Spread eagle is to lie on one’s back with legs spread wide open, it is a gymnastic term with obvious sex position implications.
           There are countless American jokes that begin with the line, “walk into a bar”. Google some. So here were have another play on words, since neither of them is an American Indian and their names are the punch line.

Last Laugh