Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Sunday, April 3, 2022

April 3, 2022

Yesteryear
One year ago today: April 3, 2021, 553 million nobodies.
Five years ago today: April 3, 2017, Smithsonian magazine – only if it’s free.
Nine years ago today: April 3, 2013, perpetual scooter repairs.
Random years ago today: April 3, 2016, why tip robots?

           Productivity level 99 today. I got the extra three shelves put into the shed, which also tidies up the yard because I used up all the scrap lumber more than 16” long. The arrangement is not ideal, but like anything else, once it gets into use, it becomes what’s needed. I left space for one important shelf not originally planned—a place to put all my how-to books, of which I have at least 30 or 40. How was your morning? Later, I was do discover I had 63 of these project books, so far, pictured here. I had to reinforce the shelf to hold 400 pounds.
           For a break around noon, I reviewed the BASIC commands for animation in hi-res, although the charts and studies I’ve been flowcharting are lo-res. The logic works the same but lo-res can make movement chunky enough that some people don’t get the correct effect. There are minor differences in the command behavior between the two modes, but it parallels the decline of the programming trade as time went by. Early lo-res had the correct row-column arrangement and little gems that never cross the millennial mind like the capability of drawing a blank space.

           As the variations of BASIC began around 1980, versions nobody asked for because, well, because they were versions and not the real deal. Even Gates had plagiarized a version for the first MicroSoft computers. All my early programming was done in BASIC until I returned to college in my 30s. I witnessed the decline of programming, by 1984 MicroSoft had scrambled the whole market with early Visual crap, where instead of programming, you configured a screen button to do what appeared to work. (Shades of GPS?). This led to an inevitable swing away from do-it-right programming to buying pre-made versions that sort of worked. And as soon as one dominated the market, you changed the market to force-accept that “application”. That’s why you have tax junkware like Quicken.
           Another thing soon to be organized are my DVDs. Most major backups are on DVD just because. It’s the software I have all over the place. I used CDs for a few years before I learned you can format then on DVD disks, so they got stored separately. Now, for example, I cannot find my favorite burning software, Nero Express. I’ll get started on this, since the highest shelf can store stuff like that I use once a year. I had to take that shelf down again to install more brackets and found space to put two more shelves right away.

Picture of the day.
US retirement “lagoon” in Spain.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           Here’s a colorful shot, who remembers these magnetic letters? I picked them up for a dollar, thinking to spray them black and use them for titles, something I still want to do. For now, they represent my next algorithm. My plan is a small program that lets me enter a title or message, and the program will tell me if I have enough of the right letters to make that up. Since I got so much done today, I’ll describe how I would go about this, a glimpse into my brain workings.
           First, I determine the total number of available letters, since it is senseless to go any further if there are not enough. Right there, I’ve got 95% of millennial beat. Next, fill out a matrix containing the letter information. There are no numbers. Have the operator key enter the desired phrase. I’m already thinking this could be done on an ordinary spreadsheet. Sure, I could use BASIC, but that means always having to pull up that program on a computer that can run it. I’m thinking a series of 26 COUNTIF statements.
           The compare this with the contents of the matrix and reject the phrase at the first situation where there are not enough letters. The trick is to avoid “fall-through” programming or full-disk searches. These are the annoying situations where you know the application has done what you want, but continues on through the entire disk or to the end of the loop.

           The marigolds have stalled. I’m pretty sure I have an evenly spread crop but they stopped growing. The box said it would cover 25 square feet but from what I’m seeing, you won’t get any decent flower bushes as shown on the box more than maybe square feet. The Madagascar periwinkles have stopped wilting, they’ve always been a hardy plant that I wish I’d tended better. Like this morning, instead of checking the garden first, I made up a huge batch of chicken fried rice a pot of buckwheat. Maybe I’m just not a periwinkle kind of guy. Oh, an remind me to watch Trump’s last rally, I heard they turned away 20,000. I wonder if his strategy is to get people just to the point where the left doesn’t dare use their old tricks.
           Such as the town council that tried to shut down the Trump rally in Michigan y’day. All full of concerns, they claimed, for the “safety” of the packed arena and parking lots outside, supporters as far as the MSM cameras dared to show. This is nonsense, since if they were worried they would have provide free hot chocolate instead of trying to shut down the event. Their lame excuse (in general, not just this event) is that the occupancy of the buildings is being exceeded. What they mean is the number of bleachers, not the capacity if the arena floor is filled with portable chairs.
           It’s another demo of the growing panic among every tier of Democrat infestation. Their supporters seem reduced to a minority of not-too-bright morons and groups of seniors “struggling with loneliness and boredom”. You know how much pity I have for bored people, both those who have it and those who inflict it. And no pity for anyone vaxed because by and large, they tacitly supported a system that tried to force the vax on others. Now a Delta airline pilot died in the cockpit, which Delta denies, but that is viewed as confirmation.

ADDENDUM
           Dunce of the month award goes to the MicroSoft dolt who freezes the how to menu when you open any windows to follow the directions. Fifth generation retards over there. Did you hear 15 top tennis athletes withdrew from this years championship? All of them have had the death shot. I’m miffed because I got millennialized again. I have two quick-connect misters, which have a special fitting on the far end to plug the hose. It’s and attachment that fits into an ordinary T-joint, but it will not twist or pull out to connect two of these lines in series, which is what I want.
           The manual in both boxes was missing, there is no manual on-line, and the videos are useless. Unless you give a shit what the stupid lady in the yellow dress had for breakfast and how often her equally useless friends get drunk on the patio, there are no videos less than 15 minutes in duration that never actually show this connection. Of the eight nozzles that came with the kit, only two are still working. Low maintenance, my eye. Plus somebody come up with an ingenious idea of where I can hang my small hammer and crescent wrench inside the cabin. Yes, space has become that much of a premium.

Last Laugh