Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Monday, May 23, 2022

May 23, 2022

Yesteryear
One year ago today: May 23, 2021, I repeat, no women.
Five years ago today: May 23, 2017, where’s the wall?
Nine years ago today: May 23, 2013, the 4-cent calculator.
Random years ago today: May 23, 2015, a round of dill pickles.

           There’s no way I’m getting out of town today. It took all morning for chores, which included spiffing up the car but not washing it. There was a chill in the air. I tried to fight it with a big breakfast and two cups of steaming coffee. No dice, I am not an outdoor worker. I chill easy but burst into perspiration if I dare step inside for a quick warm-up. Thus, I was out there a long time. The good news is I ran the car for over an hour without any problems. I’d forgotten the heater switch needed replacing just before the water leak. The plan was if it ran 15 minutes without heating up, it is saleable. Mission accomplished. Sadly, backing out into the driveway reminded me of what a smooth and luxurious little car those can be.
           There was time to hose down the bar fridge, which I’m taking back with me. I used the leaf blower to blast the interior of the car clean and had to get snippy with the Reb over how long this took. She remembers when I did this much work in a wink. We missed going to the KIA dealership. Fine, I’m tuckered out something fierce. This picture is a battery like you have not seen before. I’ll explain if you keep reading.

           Next, the Reb’s dryer is on its last legs. It takes almost two cycles and I know she is attached to it because it has no plastic parts. It has to go, and the only replacement I could find was an inch or two bigger in each dimension. That meant trouble getting it up the landing, through the door, down the hallway, and up the stairs. Yep, the laundry is on the second floor. We had to enlist the nieghbor to get it up the stairs. Then to discover that the heating element does not kick in. It could be a thermal fuse but those are expensive and tricky to get at.
           My suspicion always arouses when I see any type of “Eco” cycle or monitor on an appliance. These are idiot-programmed and can often over-ride what you are trying to get done. In this case, a quick dry on maximum hot for some doggie blankets. No go and it is evident the Eco setting blocks some settings. Next, it appears the heater element will not cut in. Bear in mind this is after we haul the dryer up the stairs, connect the vents and cables, push it into place, and put a load of wet laundry inside. Because millennials cannot conceive of a message on the display panel that says, “Thermal fuse blown”. Tney do not have the mental capacity for such things. There is a message that says “Power Failure” intended, I suppose, for other millennials who cannot figure that out for themselves.

           The plan is to haul it out and test the fuse. Since it has to be hauled out, if the fuse is expensive or fussy or needs a drive across town, I’d rather replace the heating element in her old dryer. Speaking of idiot millennials, she has that lawn mower in the shed, a Honda GVC 160, one of the most common motors of its class. But it you go on-line and ask for directions how to start it, no dice. There is one youTube video, from the jerkwads at “Garden Tools & Instruments”, from Australia I think. These people are so retarded they post a video of written instructions over a background of flowers. Think for a moment about this level of stupidity.
           Without a picture or diagram, those assclowns describe in words how to open the fuel valve, set the choke, and adjust the flywheel. You friggen morons, anybody who knows all those things and where they are located wouldn’t need some dismal bastards like you telling them how to start a damn lawnmower. Do you get my point?

Picture of the day.
Old movie poster.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           I looked closely at this kitchen sink arrangement at Home Depot. You can’t see the far left, but the counter overhangs to form a two-person dining space. Sadly, there is no way to fit this into my existing kitchen due to the window and appliance arrangement. Robot buffs, however, want to know why the battery picture this morning is so unique. It is normally seen in banks of ten, ganged to produce 120 volts. You can’t easily find or buy these, but I got this one donated by a robot club associate.
           This morning I took the Reb’s lawn mower in for him to look at. As I figured, it is bad gas that polluted the carburetor. We got it running with spray cans, a heavy operation meaning the carb has to come out and get soaked. Despite warnings to run the motor dry for storage, few people do.

           The battery is a special model used for critical hospital equipment. They power up during any power loss to keep critical machines going. The reason I have one is any failure of this system means all ten batteries get returned to the vendor for testing to find the problem. Individually, each cell like this one makes a fantastic power source. I’ll probably wire it into the van to power accessories overnight. The battery has some type of valve-regulator built into the plastic cap to ensure constant voltage.
           What’s important is I now have the opportunity to learn basic small engine repair. People have learned to drop off stuff in case it needs minor repairs, so there is a backlog in the shed. We’ve decided next trip, we’ll try to work together to get most of it running and sell it off. I can learn any trade in three weeks, which is our time estimate. This is really important to me, the ability to fix small motors. He says it isn’t complicated but may not understand for me it all has to be learned.
It’s like of neat in the sense that he has eight or ten lawn mowers and somebody dropped off a $650 air compressor system, just left it in the driveway. He says as soon as he gets some help, he’d be glad to teach me how to get all these things back into working order. We’re both over the hill, but I point out unlike our detractors, at least we got to the top of it. This could be lucrative in Florida, where I regularly come across small motor devices that I know would be easy to fire up if I knew how.

Last Laugh