Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Sunday, June 12, 2022

June 12, 2022

Yesteryear
One year ago today: June 12, 2021, utlizing any resource.
Five years ago today: June 12, 2017, men who don’t plan.
Nine years ago today: June 12, 2013, good old Estelle.
Random years ago today: June 12, 2008, damage inspection, Wally’s Folly.

           Good morning, the news is the IRS is sending out millions of letters to taxpayers claiming they have underpaid. Since it’s a form letter, many including my self see it as an outcome of Biden hiring those extra thousands of agents. He’s broke and the administration is on life-support. Watch for the old scam, you can apply for it back while they are holding it. A glorious morning, just me, the birds, and French toast with peanut butter. Trivia, the few other countries that grow peanuts do it mostly for the oil. US peanuts are graded electronically.
           From our “It won’t be long now” committee, here is a photo of the J6 Committee using teleprompters. I told you these liberals just cannot come up with anything really new. If it worked in 1917, they’ll keep trying it today. It brings a truly modern meaning to the term “show trial”.


           Interesting times, indeed. The Democrats held a gun control rally in DC, promising $100 of your tax money to anybody who showed up. It’s a wonder nobody was trampled in the near stampede that ensued. Laugh if you want, it’s your tax dollars. I just got a message from Bryne, the Irishman. He’s very ill. He describes it as his tour in North Africa in the 1980s, where the food was so bad he was sure they were out to kill him because they thought he was German. I redundantly told him to take it super easy, but did not advise him to go for a beer. He’s the guy who had the liver transplant a few years back.
           We got rain showers, so I worked inside. This is a journal, what were the top events of the day? First, I rigged up the new shop fan. I sprung for a metal blade unit, since it is intended as a permanent fixture. Over the years I’ve used plastic Lasko, but shall we say I’ve never been a fan of plastic? Wow, nobody hit me. It is actually too powerful in some ways but consider the alternative. It was $65 but one lawn mower repair takes care of that. Which reminds me, heading over to check for pallets, I ran into Agt. R. I guessed right, he is spending all his time in Brooksville building his mother’s new house.
           I knew he takes old mowers, but has a neighbor who fixes them. That means any he’s still got, the motors are shot. But, what I need at the moment is not a motor but a pull starter mechanism. I had a go at repairing the Bolsen and it did not at all go like the video demonstrations showed. I got it out and discovered it is a special brass shape that is likely impossible to find. So, I asked Agt. R to donate anything like that to the cause. He’s far too all over the place to make a good partner, five things going at once, it would seem.

           Now, just when you think things may turn slightly back toward normal, the ultra-left website Vice.Com has published that SADS (sudden adult death syndrome) is due to climate change. Order! Order! I will not have this blog become an improv stage. Ultra is the radical left’s extreme publication that tries to pretend it is balanced. This is the site that is claiming Trump’s daughter said he was lying about the stolen election. She actually was talking about Bill Barr, the guy who chickened out, when she politely said she “accepted what he was saying”. Probably to shut somebody up, but Vice has singled out that clause. I accept that they have done that, the bastards.
           So much for Gay Pride Month, all they’ve accomoplished is disgusting ever more people. The laugh I get is postings of kids in the schools mocking them and defacing queer posters. There’s even on where the students avoid the staircase marked with rainbows. We had queers in our school days and it’s nice to know there are still so many others who smile politely when they are around but don’t buy their crap for a moment.

Picture of the day.
The royal waste of money.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           The extra lumber for the shed may have just been donated. The neighbor decided his kids were too old for the tree house and tore it down. He built what he needed, such as a mower shed and a rabbit hutch, but has all the pieces I would need for siding left over. Before the downpour, I hauled as much as I could over the fence and tacked all wooden panels over the studs on the exposed north side of the silo. I had planned on roughing in the washer plumbing but this is a chance to get that shed secure once and for all. Pictures later.
           What you want to see is the drill extractor in operation. Here you go, and I butchered the screw. Later, I filed it back to the next smaller size hex and put it back in, but the assembly is out of whack. Lack of experience, I bought the wrong shape of extractor. The top photo shows the pilot hole, the bottom shows the extractor tapped into place. What could go wrong?
           First, the extractor is not long enough. As it sits inside the cavity, there is not enough room to get a wrench with enough leverage and second, the tip of the extractor is square, not hexagon, so the small bits, as shown here, would not grab into the chuck. I finally drilled the hole too big, so I could use one of the larger extractors. This process took an hour, but now I now. The starter housing is not easily swapped out, as it is riveted to the motor cover, which is unique to each model.

           I do not know if this has a happy ending, but as I shut down for the rainstorm, I found an adult squirrel with an apparently broken hind leg. He (I think) was unable to flee but I caught him in a cardboard box and put him inside Agt. R’s animal cage, which he never did come by to take back. See the animal was probably weak from exhaustion so I cut open some boxes and lined them with shavings once meant for the chicken coop. I built a shelter over half the cage, which made the wee creature both terrified and exhausted. But he’s safe in that cage.

           Next I set out some food and water. I doubt that’s his concern, as the rain started and he was barely able to pull himself into the shelter of the box. I can’t help him with any treatment but if he survives long enough, I may consider keeping him safe and fed as much as possible. Hence, nothing got done toward my washer today. Did I mention, all the hookups are there, they just need to have taps installed in matching locations, now that I have something to match. If all goes well, I may for now let the wash water drain into the garden area. Agt. R says that is good for the plants and a waste to put down the pipes.

           Google has settled on paying $118 million over lawsuits that women were paid less than men. Did you know I have always agreed with equal pay for equal work? I first said so in the 1980s, that any man doing woman’s work should have his pay cut back to their level. Am I making my self clear? You may not know this, but for the final five years or so I worked in a cubicle, I had a standing reward for any woman who could do my job. It was a safe bet, mind you, because just in our department it took up to four men to do as much as I did in a given shift. I was not too worried. If there was such a woman who could do my job, she would never get hired by that company. They want clones and drones, not thinkers.
           And don’t think it was an empty reward. I had 57 phone lines on my desk, twice the rest of the department put together. There was an empty desk beside mine, since I rarely chatted with my co-workers. Any woman was free to sit there and try to keep up with me. She could work through her breaks, eat lunch at her desk, anything to keep up except get outside help. Often, to prove the point, I would work until mid-morning and do more circuits than I knew the rest of the department could manage in the rest of the shift, and just walk over to the library down the street.
           Would I do that? A number of reasons. Early in my career, I was passed over for promotion by a lady who had parents in upper management. Also, I had been force transferred into that position contrary to normal company policy (they shunted all the single men in there so nobody would listen if we complained). And I too often received “average” performance evaluations because no matter how well I worked, they “had no proof that I could not do even better.” Anyone worth a damn should be able to understand why I worked to rule. They would have to fire 15 people before they got me for not working hard enough.

           [Author's note: for those curious how I did it, I simply, over time, memorized how every class of circuit worked. It could take several hours to fix a malfunction if you start from scratch, as the rest of the department did. Sometimes it took three of them to tackle one. My average time to repair was less than an hour, but I would simply not sign off, saying I was "running diagnostics", which could take the rest of the day. Because I could look on the queue and see how the rest of the crew was performing, or not. QED.]

ADDENDUM
           The DVD I chose is another Viet Nam loyalty-betrayal army vs. one guy, but the acting is pretty good. Thing is, this is yet another day because I can’t watch it for more than twenty minutes. Like today, I got distracted by an article about this years best Arduino projects. The microcontroller realm is now taken over by the common herd. I got in late to the game, but now with that bunch in the majority, there will be very little innovation. The top ten were re-hashes of dull millennial junk. I’ve little use for a TV remote, a game console, an air hockey game, or a tea sensor. Those are, to me, starting points, not goals.
           Instead, I viewed some new web sites that have appeared featuring Arduino circuits. One that kept me reading is called NevonProjects because they tend to describe their projects. It gives a sense of why that’s missing in so many how-to sites. For instance, I did not know that mosquitoes could be faked out mechanical means. I was amused by different approaches to projects I had pursued up to flowchart stage, such as a sensor that moved solar panels toward the sunlight. Some came up with the idea of the panel itself being the sensor. Right, it needs just two degrees of motion to find the highest voltage and stay there.

           One idea I’ve thought-experimented with is so incomplete, I may get it wrong. But I’ll try to share it. Toy wooden rubber-band guns. The fact is, these things jam up too much and take far too much time to “reload” for the fun they provide. I would automate the process so it provided a cartridge system and the one that makes most sense to me resembles a volley gun. Shown here, a tray of 25 bullets in a large case was inserted behind the barrels and fired at once. The case was then extracted and replaced, so it isn’t really a machine gun, but if you look at the way the barrels are arrayed, if they were fired one by one, some sort of reloading system in place should make it much more efficient. As Rambo would say, happiness is a belt-fed weapon.
           My ultimate concept, the robot crawler with metal detector, never got even to the drawing board. The rig is some kind of platform that uses GPS, or if nobody is looking, stakes in the ground. It begins a systematic deep search for sunken treasure, never revealing to observers if it locates anything, but storing and transmitting a coded map. You take it to the chosen site at night and let it crisscross the area. You return with pick and shovel, but treasure hunting is pretty much a dead end. Most governments lay claim to any treasure and anything found can be difficult or illegal to sell.
Last Laugh