Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Wednesday, June 22, 2022

June 22, 2022

Yesteryear
One year ago today: June 22, 2021, Hyundai buys Boston Dynamics.
Five years ago today: June 22, 2017, an expensive mistake.
Nine years ago today: June 22, 2013, Marion calls.
Random years ago today: June 22, 2012, I’m okay with deflation.

           Here’s the seven pallets taken down to size. There are some pallet designs this bar does not work on. The ease of use is great enough that I will likely avoid those models. Again, a few things to buy had me downtown and another half-day gets eaten up by logistics. It’s fine Florida weather which most northerners would find uncomfortable, and being a northerner to an extent, I’m taking an extra siesta. So this pile of lumber with all the nails can wait.
           There is enough lumber to complete the west wall, the trick is getting me up the ladder to do it. Plus the other lumber (from the play house) measures out enough to make a really decent canopy for the compressor. I stopped for a couple brews last evening just before quitting time (11:00PM) and sketched out the plans. Yes, each of the projects delays things I should be working on inside the cabin.

           See this next picture, that’s a match up of the air line (NPT) ¼” tubing with copper of the same stated size. I already told you about this and now there’s more on it. I’ve been to two plumbing departments and there is no commonly available union of these pieces. The Internet shows hundreds of videos going on about the copper piping, but not one of them details how the pipes were joined. That is so typical of millennials ruined the Internet. They are all experts on the simple stuff, ask a real question and the run for the hills or hand you non-answers.
           More rumblings out of South Africa. As usual, the whites don’t fight back properly and the result is usually civil war, with such an event in that area taking a definite white vs. black agenda. The blacks are a majority but it is not their homeland as they are claiming. They are getting a lot of support from the western liberal media over this false narrative. Mostly, they are tribes from central Africa who ran south from war and genocide between other tribes to the north.

           The issue was always whether the blacks have a right to access whites. In the 1960s, South Africa showed the world something very disturbing—and it was not Apartheid. It was the revelation that unless blacks have access to whites as a source of funding and control, they quickly took to murder, theft, and rape, which is what you basically have in South Africa today. The western world ganged up on the nation’s whites and released terrorists like Mandela from prison. Once again, we see two South Africas and America is repeating this failed experiment, wasting trillions of dollars on idiotic social experiments like affirmative action.
           In no instance in history have certain peoples ever established a supportive parallel economy that competes on its own terms with the world at large. Look at the middle east, with unimaginable wealth from oil for a hundred years, and they still create and produce nothing. Myself, I am a middle-ground Libertarian and isolationist, and I believe in segregation with the full knowledge that the resulting chaos will be blamed on everybody but themselves. But that’s my point, that the total chaos remains constant and I have no issues with confining it.
           The stats are in, the last trip to Tennessee came in $600 over budget. It’s actually worse, since some amounts are already adjusted for additional costs. So more like $800 over in a month where groceries alone soared to $588. Remember, organic food costs more in the first place. This does not include nearly $700 for insurance and registering the scooter. I spend ten times as much going out to dinner in Tennessee than I do here, where I’ll mostly stop for coffee. In my six years in this area, I’ve only been to maybe six restaurants. No Reb, no fun.

Picture of the day.
Red oak wine barrels.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           I bought a heat pad designed for shoulders, which works great, but is designed for the upper shoulders. I’ll devise a clip to hold it across the shoulder blades. For now it works only when applied, there is no lasting relief. My room is designed for an easy chair to view the window. The desk faces a wall, so I miss much of the bird antics unless they make enough noise to be heard over the fans and A/C. We have a small flock of grey birds not yet identified, around the size of sparrows. The cardinal family is down to three, the grandparents and one juvenile, probably male. I had the treat to see all three at once today, they are not a jittery as before.
           Just before sunset, I got outside. The neighbor will throw some sheet metal over the fence for me for when I next feel energetic. I succeeded in drilling through the shed metal with a special bit, so the ceiling in there becomes a two hour job instead of two days. Very soon I’ll get some overhead lights into the scooter lean-to, as that is where most of the yard chemicals are stored. And summer is bug season. The peach tree produced no flowers and no fruit, but maybe it’s not supposed to.
           This great shot is from the back yard, looking up into the mid-morning sun today. Yes, that’s the canopy that all has to be cut down before it smashed down into my roof some windy day. These are not native trees and the roots cannot support after a certain size. I removed and soaked the weed whacker carburetor, but somehow it is not drawing fuel into the carburetor. And it won’t turn over despite how it was running just last week. I’ll get this. And has anybody seen my crate amp, or did I leave it in Tennessee. It’s wild operating two households.

           I truly riled some nincompoop on-line. He publishes this big glowing back-to-nature article with pictures. I called him a hypocrite because the pictures showed around $2 million worth of farmland and trees, plus another quarter million in farm equipment. If he is going to tell us about such a great lifestyle, I said, he should tell us where he got that kind of money. He said I had “negativity”, to which I replied I don’t go around humblebragging. Which, when it comes to playing bass is not strictly true, but he don’t know that.
           There are two sorts that irk me most, one is the people on private estates because they had the surrounding land declared a nature preserve, and sailboat owners who swagger. What’s my beef? It’s minor, but when they start crowing about their lifestyles, I like to call them out on the finances, just to see how they react. It’s been a side hobby of mine for years ever since I found out Jimmy Buffet did not work his way up through the ranks. Nothing sinister and it is actually a very limited situation I don’t like, not rich kids in general.

ADDENDUM
           Pocket, (getpocket.com) a site I rarely visit except by unintentional link, has an article on meritocracy that I find annoying. But it raises many arguments that I am in favor of, such as the level playing field. Whereas I agree it should be level, I do not agree that it is my responsibility to make it so. My support goes only as far as removing external barriers such as inherited privilege. Internal matters are different because things like talent and intellect are not that evenly distributed. I would not do so well in a perfectly level boxing ring and most boxers can’t play piano.
           The article is long, but if you get to the part of the “Ultimatum Game”, there are a few great points raised. That’s the game where there are two players and one proposes a split of some money to the other, but if the other rejects the offer, both get nothing. Hence, most splits tend to be 50/50. Now this is where I come in and beg to differ. They quote the variations of the game such as adding skill or chance. Those with skill are less likely to want equal divisions. What’s more, the game does not specify if I’m allowed to negotiate the outcome.

           You see, in my world, nobody merits a share by merely showing up. So let me propose my own variation of the game. If the amount was $1,000 or less, I’d say offer half for altruistic reasons. But the game only works that way when it provides the notion that the other person’s behavior can affect me.
Up the ante to $10,000 and I would tell the other person, listen, you get $500 and I get $9.500, take it or leave it. Why? Because to me $9,500 is nothing, if I don’t get it, I could care less. The other guy is more likely to be hurt by the loss of $500, so my task is to let him know his rejection means zip to me. Remove the fear of loss and the results reverse.
           The explanation is that my beliefs depend highly on differing levels of involvement. While meritocracy isn’t perfect, I would still choose it over most other systems. It doesn’t work on every level, but as my example shows, after a certain point, my level is different than the other guy’s. To put it another but similar way, instead of giving the first guy the money, make him earn it. You can’t make him give the other guy half without coercion. That has a name. It’s called income tax.

Last Laugh