Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Sunday, July 24, 2022

July 24, 2022

Yesteryear
One year ago today: July 24, 2021, where’s our banker movie?
Five years ago today: July 24, 2017, the pump was replaced.
Nine years ago today: July 24, 2013, shallow water; shallow women.
Random years ago today: July 24, 2012, my heart & sweet potatoes.

           Insomnia, even my mild version, let’s a lot of work get done if you handle it right. I may be able to bypass the cold water line purchasing only a single ten-foot length of pipe. Under the flooring, I left a lot of slack and I left a six-foot length near the new water tank location just in case. At dawn I was treated to the chattering of one very angry squirrel. Let’s see if he can surprise me yet. An hour on acoustic guitar let me know how far it is I must go. Pretty far.
           I’m running into the same barrier that guitarists have, but they are generally too pudding-headed to notice. I usually word it that guitar players scatter like chickens when they find out they’ll have to learn new material. That’s the job of the other guys in the band, don’t you know? I know the real reason, it’s that each tune means a huge investment of time for a professional.
           Just as I complain when a guitarists wants to learn “his version”. It means if that guitarist quits, I’m stuck with something I can’t play anywhere else. Well, for a guitar player, most every song has become like that because standards are so high. It does not seem to matter than many guitar players can’t reach that standard, they still do not want to put in the time.

           Now, dumb idea or not, I’ve decided to begin moving all unused lumber to the far back yard. It will be inconvenient but right now I have three piles of lumber that just don’t look fine where they are. All nicely stacked and sorted by size, but you know what I mean. It will also incentivize me to keep the kudzu back there under control just so I can get to my supplies. There is another consideration. I have no convenient place to set up my chop saw, the most used tool in my collection. I’ll have to wait for the day my back is completely unsprained.
           My papaya tree grew back, but kind of funny. It dropped all the leaves below the level of the shed roof. I’m okay, because it’s easy to walk under it now, but should it ever bear fruit, you’ll need a step ladder. And when I get to it, I’m moving the old raised planter to the center of the yard, just outside the back bedroom single window.
           When I say raised, I mean this time it will be on the ground, but with 18” of slab sides. One problem I encountered with root veggies was a true raised planter could not be filled deep enough. Even a carrot seems to need two feet of soil around here. Where will all this wonderful soil come from? The front yard, where it is already a foot deep but can’t grow anything because of too much shade most of the day.

           Dang, Sony. I missed some excellent footage of one irate squirrel and the new baffle works 100% so far. He was too smart to repeat it for me once I finished swearing at the camcorder, which Sony made so that it can look like it is recording when it isn’t. I was busy with more measurements. The question is, if the repair is so easy, why am I on day two? Easy answer. Because once I cut that iron pipe, there is no turning back. No temp service like now. If anything goes wrong and it takes 12 hours, I have to keep going the full time. And I don’t feel up to it at this time.
           If I can reach far enough, I may not have to remove any more floorboards. When I turn the water on for the day, I get a rusty discharge from the old pipes, which is probably harmless, but still. With the new connection, there will still be two small sections of the old pipe, but neither of them flows toward a drinking faucet. I’m leaving the old pipe in place for something to strap to.

           Here is a well-made video of a model train, but it is not the scenery that got my attention. It is the realism of the models, a precision pretty much impossible with the old rheostat controllers. This is definitely a microcontroller at work, or possibly several of them. I say one because if you pay attention, only one [powered] object is moving at a time until the four minute mark. At around then, several passing trains are seen going the opposite direction at identical speeds.
           In my mind’s eye, I can see the Arduino sketch and modules used here. I first saw this level of realism in Colorado some ten years ago. It is the artistic use of PCM, or pulse code modulation. That’s what I was just beginning to study when I bought this place and time became a premium. I’d rather see these than the animations out there. These railway scenes show what is possible with a microcontroller. Well, a microcontroller and a shitload of daddy’s money.
           The photo shows a tiny castle 3D printed on the point of a sharpened pencil. This is a laser technology I do not understand, but the only real unknown I have about 3D printing is how is the shape programmed? I saw the code needed to print a single tiny cube and it was Martian to me. But the code must control the printing and that part I grasp. Actually PCM is one of the simpler things you can wire up to the Arduino.

Picture of the day.
Welsh laver bread.
(seaweed on toast)
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           Book sales on personal finance are up nearly 60%. I thought, why do people who know it all need such thing?. So I read a few of the summaries. Ha, they are all books on managing debt. Stupid stuff like which credit card and how to scrape by on $500,000 per year. My advice is no credit cards and punch all commission sales-people in the mouth on sight.
           Here’s a view of this summer’s kudzu attack. This one will require a [full] day to combat, it has be uprooted and that is only a delay, not a cure. The roots go down 15 feet. Feeling energetic later, I got under the floor and mapped out the piping. That extra piece from the back yard turns out to be PVC, so I can’t use it. I will have to crawl under the building, but that may be just at the far ends. I also want to see how I connected iron to plastic, since I know I did but cannot remember.

           The birds have taken instantly to the new setup, I knew that squirrel was stressing them. It is a small flock of titmouses which share withing their pecking order, but also keeping other birds from the supply. Self-regulating, you might say. And at least one cardinal has staked out his spot under the new Chinese hat baffle. I was only ten minutes at cleaning up the yard and another twenty throwing out trash and a lot of dead leaves. The floorboards have to be lifted.
           I will need two ten foot lengths now, and for strapping I’m going to use strip ties, the big ones. NPR radio is making fools of themselves trying to pretend there is no resistance to liberal policy, that if people would only cooperate, all their troubles would be over. Problem, nobody is buying it and in Sri Lanka they burned down 38 houses belonging to politicians. No reports on how the population is eating and working, but I would not doubt if they can grow their own food at least. In America, the sabotage of the food chain won’t be apparent until early next year.
           That’s because the crops are planted. A typical difficulty is harvest, if diesel is so expensive the farmer can’t afford to harvest the crop at current grain prices, he’ll leave it in the ground. Most cash crops can’t be stored. But a lot of my stuff still in the house can be, so how about giving me enough time to put up a couple more shelves in the silo? Let’s plan tomorrow to lift the flooring and determine what pipe and fittings, then make a trip downtown. I’m tired thinking about it. Get the water supply fixed and back on schedule, that’s my plan for the week. Right now, it is coffee time.
           In Moscow, a chess robot broke the finger of a kid. I’m not sure who to blame on that one, as by age seven, the kit should have known to wait his turn. Then again, there are lots of ways to move chess pieces without a gripper arm that is capable of break bones. How about that woketard ad that says nuclear power plants are having trouble staying cool due to climate change. Like a power plant is going to not have enough cooling gear, duh. This libtards will stop at nothing.
           In Utah, a Tesla on auto-pilot drove over a motorcycle on the Interstate (I-15). There was a driver in the car not paying attention. He should be charged with at least homicide. The rules are very specific, these cars are not really self-driving. Have you seen that clip of how they can be tricked by drawing a circle around them with dashed lines? Once again, the fundamental problem is the low caliber of the coders. I cannot warn often enough that coders cannot think out of the box. No way a real programmer would “just do his job” and presume anything not on the spec sheet was somebody else’s job.

ADDENDUM
           What’s this? An on-line survey that gives instructions on how to deal with six toxic behaviors in a relationship. Let’s see what they say and how I deal with it.

           1) Keeping score. Bringing up old issues. That’s a tough one for me because I believe those who do wrong in the past usually never correct the behavior. The advice says deal with each new recurrence as a present issue. I don’t know if that works because by then, I’ve dumped the broad and moved on. Even though I don’t meet date-able women as much as I would like, I know there are good ones out there so don’t waste your time on chronics.
           2) Dropping hints. That’s instead of saying what’s on your mind. They say to encourage openness. I say any part of that is nonsense, that if a relationship is not open enough naturally, it’s time to leave. Usually people who have this difficulty can be shown to have paired off too early in life and spend their time patching up the ship. Such women last maybe a week with me. Their problem is by the time they wise up, they are no longer attractive.
           3) Holding the relationship hostage. They call it emotional blackmail and I agree. Don’t have anything to do with such people. I don’t like starting over with somebody new, but it beats putting up with aggravation.
           4) Blaming others for your emotions. This is another tough call for me because I’m usually the recipient. The article only talks about the initiator and how it leads to co-dependency and the need to negotiate everything. The closest thing I’ll put up with is maybe some minor disagreement on which movie or restaurant.
           5) Loving jealousy. That’s what they call feeling dissed when your partner appears flirtatious with others. This is the most common reason I dump women. But it is also a different context. It rarely bothers me to have men around trying to pick up my lady. It is when the lady entertains those passes that I draw the line. It’s important to note that I still don’t get confrontational. I mention it once, if it happens again, I never call the lady back. Obviously she must have done it pretty seriously for that to happen.
           6) Buying solutions. This is where they have a spat, but instead of dealing with the issues, they go on a cruise or buy something. Or they get married. I’ll have nothing to do with such people except seeing them put money in my tip jar.

           This is a terrible survey because it addresses only the solutions, as if problems at this level are a given. They aren’t. It just goes to show you how little experience people have at sidestepping bad partners to start with. Instead of looking for someone to work things out with, put the same energy into finding someone where you don’t have to. I realize I complain a lot about women with destructive behaviors—but from a distance and that’s the important thing.
           In my life, my second relationship when I was 19 to 22 had all the above ingredients. But when you are young and horny, too many people mistake that for love. This, folks, is why I believe in very long courtships. Time enough for deal-breaking problems to surface. That, plus I’ve fussy who I date anyway, means lonesome stretches. But the payoff is the important thing. The Reb and I are still in cahoots 35 years later. We’ve had three arguments and all were in late 2018. Artificial shallow survey advice doesn’t carry far with me.

           These surveys also reveal how little progress there is between generations. The problems and advice at that level never really change, do they? It boils down to spending whatever it takes to find the right person, even if it means a late start. Like I said when I was17, “Men who have a choice tend to make one.”

Last Laugh