Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Thursday, September 15, 2022

September 15, 2022

Yesteryear
One year ago today: September 15, 2021, long-winded.
Five years ago today: September 15, 2017, some Taurus details.
Nine years ago today: September 15, 2013, don’t joke with shrinks.
Random years ago today: September 15, 2014, a failed robot picture.

           What’s this, the Bidenistas are going to buy votes again? With printed money, no less, the only way I can think of to outdo that is headline with a picture of my toilet seat. (From the blog that dares.) Talk is just before the election they are sending out $1050 checks. Can you get any more blantant? I still have the money they sent last time somewhere. And zdnet reports companies lament the loss of skilled tech workers. Nonsense. The phone company can have me back any time they want. For $12,000 per week. A bargain by any standard.
           I well recall the onset of this changeover. When I started with the phone company, you could not operate the gear without some knowledge of how the system worked. The company hired in batches of six every five years. Computerized testing the circuits was just beginning so I had a huge advantage once I got a few weeks field experience behind me. Five years later, the company knew which computer tests worked best and hired people trained to operate only those tests. The ten year bunch knew only how to read the computer screens and had zero knowledge of how the hardware functioned.

           At that point it was funny to work with the new people. When there was a simple problem in the field, they could dispatch a truck with a good 95% chance of getting it right just by reading the computer display. However, you guessed it, when there was a real problem, none of them had a clue. It was an Xmas Eve when a drunk boater sliced through the Coast Guard cable just as I came on duty. I was on duty 24/7 earning double-time-and-half until the Sunday after New Year’s, I think it was 13 days sleeping under the desk and showering in the exercise room. The computers could not test underwater cable and none of the knew people could figure out how to work the analog circuits.

           I got working early on the plumbing system. I am now more than glad I didn’t get into plumbing, but it is sort of fun when it goes well. I prefabbed more than half the job inside the shed. The neighbor hired the tree guy to cut down all the limbs, same guy that cut down my 60-foot dead tree back six years ago. I asked him for an estimate on just cutting down the six limbs that overhang my roof. Most of the work is hauling away the trimmings, but once more, I’ll do that myself if he’ll give me a good rate.
           Meanwhile, I’m working away on the bathroom plumbing. Here is a shot of the view as you enter, if you think it looks small and cluttered, it is. You should have seen it before I moved the wall. Where the vacuum rests on the floor is where the sink used to be. The work is slow at this point as I often have to wait for a solder joint to cool before proceeding.

           And, he knows the name of the pistachio tree, I think. I’m going to look it up right now, if you’ll hold on a second. Yes, it is some species of linden similar to the common linden and the European linden, as always there is never the exact one you have on the Internet. I now have seven of these trees in my yard at some stage of growth. They grow fast and shady, so I leave them be. Now, if the tree guy can get rid of the overhand, maybe these linden trees can crowd them out. They are much easier to trim and look after.
           The Washington Post has run an article that appeared in my blog back in 1986, if I ever get those key-entered. They detail how the government uses facial recognition on driver’s licenses, scans utility bills to track where you live, and keeps copies of your photo and phone records when you travel. All of these activities are forbidden by the Constitution without a search warrant. You have a right to be secure in your person and effects and most anything. The customs people are behind it and imply it has not been going on for very long, but this blog spotted it at least 36 years ago.

Picture of the day.
The FC Porto Museum.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           Four hours later, I’m soldering pieces in the bathroom, as they have to be hand fitted at this phase. I got pretty far, right up to the joint, when I found a big mistake. I relocated one of the holes that feeds the water pipe up through the counter so it would not hit a brace, and forgot to move the other tap around to the opposite side of the supply. I’m going to just cut the piece out and see if I can resolder copper pieces. I know you can with electronics.
           Now that I’ve almost completed
the project, I may redo it. I’ve learned enough about this that I could do a much nicer looking job the second time. But I’ll retain the rusticity for now. Following my rule of working only until a major mistake, this photo shows the problem. My index finger is the water supply, the tap is on the wrong side, you can see the open stem where the supply should be on the far right.

           Time to stop and think it through. Maybe just cap off the other stem and relocate the supply line instead of the tap. Y’know, I have not been downtown for a beer since last Friday. If I drive over to Bartow, it is right near the lumber yard where I need a few items And pay that $120 electric bill. I’m okay because that is comparable to Miami but I’ll be the locals are pissed right off.
           Biden is trying to pass the increase off as part of the cost of his “Green New Deal” but the fact is probably half the people who voted for had no idea he was going to pull this stunt. They just hated Trump because he is what they never were, a big factor in America where very few people feel responsible if they aren’t rich. The fact is, the administration is on a big money grab to pay off their donors and they have not come close. Somebody has already tabled the motion to defund his tax collectors and that money laundering through the Ukraine is only paying millions where they need billions.

           I should be on the guitar, but I hauled out the bass this afternoon. I like that, “hauled out” because only those who really dedicate know how that works. Do you know how to tell the difference between real playing and guitar-freak repetition? It’s when you come back to the instrument after a break. If your playing suffers, you’re lacking talent, old pal. Don’t confuse this with a little loss of muscle memory, that part is like shooting a pistol. I blasted through my “top eight” bass tunes, the ones I like the best. It changes, but here’s today’s list below. Why eight? Because that’s normally one set.
           Not all of this material is on my current set list. Remember, some of these tunes are deceptively simple to the untrained ear. One of the most difficult to play right has only two chords (Memphis). Also, this material dates me as pre-New Country but the reality is most of the newer material is boring to play but I could play it any time I want to. Generally, boring things and me don’t mix well. Those who watch television may never know what I mean by that.

In any order:
Memphis – Johnny Rivers version
Next Broken Heart – Brooks & Dunne
Act Naturally – Ringo Starr
Hot Dog – Led Zep
Midnight Special – Any except CCR
Love Me Two Time – Doors
I Want You To Want Me – Cheap Trick
Mama’s Broken Heart – Lambert
           Like most, I have a secondary tier of tunes, most of which are in my repertoire, but of those my favorites are the ones that require touch. It goes by other names like soul, and the two examples I quote are “Stand By Me” and “Country Sunshine”. I have a few moments here so let me describe how they work for me. I never denied having a stage ego, so don’t any future “analysts” start with me. “Stand By Me” because it is one of the tunes some guitar player will try on a bass, but they lack the touch. So when it gets to my turn, I like to play the exact same notes which lets the room know who’s boss. I’ve had guitars later beg me to show them how I did that.
           The second tune nobody plays first, so why me? Easy, “Country Sunshine” is so bad it was once used as the sound track for a telephone commercial. Worse, the original recording lacks the touch, so you could listen to it forever and not hear it. But let me play it live and there will not be a dry eye in the place. It is one of those tunes that responds well to what I call “the treatment”. How would you like a description of one element of the touch? Okay, although this won’t help you much.
           When the riff has consecutive notes, don’t hold the string down on the fret like a guitar player. It’s not only lazy, it makes the note drone. Fine if that’s the way the song goes, but usually it doesn’t. Instead, between each note release the pressure slightly so as to control the decay in a manner that matches the original sound. Heads up, for some people (such as myself) this can take years.

ADDENDUM
           Only a little tired, I parked my arse and wrote four letters. Hand-written. Nobody in my circle mistakes this for outdated. I went through the typewriter, world processor, instant message phase so long ago. I grew weary of always being some 15 years ahead of the times. I peered ahead at what this whole wired crowd represents. Then I decided to do something they cannot – revert to handwriting. The person I miss most writing to is Mike, my accountant who passed away. Our careers paralleled for 40 years and that included our senses of humor and business.

Last Laugh