Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Sunday, November 20, 2022

November 20, 2022

Yesteryear
One year ago today: November 20, 2021, early silo siding.
Five years ago today: November 20, 2017, Santa’s pub, Nashville.
Nine years ago today: November 20, 2013, first stop, Foley, Alabama.
Random years ago today: November 20, 1982, forty years ago.


           Nope, too cold this morning. Here’s the pic of Mitch, the Sasquatch, from Louisiana and now living in northern Canada. He likes the snow. In this photo, he’s tobogganing. I did that when I was a kid, no thanks today. Look at that bleak and barren landscape. It’s hovering just below 60°F and I’m fine with staying by the heaters. Got all the paperwork done and there was a slight error in what I reported on tax increases. The first year was pro-rated wrong by $113 but not enough to change the drastic increases of the past two years, most of it in 2021. Trump is back with 55 million followers already. I hope his breakfast was as good as mine. Two eggs, biscuits, gravy, and coffee.
           I’d already decided to proceed with that REIT on-line, mainly to get familiar with how their system works. I chose Caltier but have not made the leap yet. Thus, even if Caltier is not my final choice, I will use that platform to gain experience. I’m finding Boomers don’t understand the Internet and millennials don’t understand doing it any other way. I’m toying with the idea of posting the performance of the chosen fund right here for my exclusive group of readers to follow along.

           So you’ll know in advance, I’m choosing a fund that specializes in residential rental units. The 2030 catchphrase is you will own nothing and you will be happy. This is to have a stake in the property they don’t own, just on the off-chance the establishment is lying. Once again, we see the revival of account 1140 Found Money. You haven’t heard of it in a while for reasons. The goal is to own two-tenths of 1% of the fund by 2030, double my usual goal. I’ll elaborate if you wait until I get a refill. Remind me to do a shop later, we are out of hot chocolate.
           These funds make money in two ways, if you are careful to chose one that pays frequent dividends. Most are required to by law or they begin to quickly act very Ponzi-like. But companies that pay dividends (or whatever they call them) must necessarily be run different than the others. And that is what you want. You make money, usually monthly, which you plow back in plus any found money that comes your way. As the fund establishes a payout record the shares you bought also increase in value. Hence, you make money two ways. My books are set up to track this sort of investment, as opposed to books that record lots of daily transactions. To me, that’s too much like bookkeeping instead of management.

           [Author's note: my intention in the above paragraph is not that clear. Normally, when you buy something now and sell it at a higher price later, the diffence is (keeping it simple) a taxable profit. This is what Biden is trying to attack. Say you bought a house for $100,000 a few years ago. Ten years later you sell it for $500,000. That's a $400,000 capital gain taxable in that tenth year. The guiding principle is you do not make a penny until you actually sell. The price gains over the years are on paper only. Biden wants to tax you every year on the percieved increase in your house value.

Picture of the day.
Thunderstorm, from space.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           It stayed too cool to work, so I set up the set of books to track some equities and such, only to discover I have misplaced a folder. There is only one place I keep those and it is not there. The joint account, which is kind of important. As always it will hit me where I put it. Matters are not helped that the banking site is down. It’s a hassle but all the books are in order and operating at a surplus. This is one odd situation, in that 99% of people who were once like me with money don’t know or trust anyone who could teach them how easy it is to get on the winning side. I have people I’ve known more than twenty years who are too distrustful of others to even show them a bank account.
           For one, I shouldn’t talk because I know that fear very well. There is no safe place to put your money except the bank and the bank doesn’t respect you or your privacy. In the end, the real money I made was applying the principles I learned to my own affairs. Why? Because there was nobody I could trust either.

           Let’s see how the world is getting along. Germany puts a 93-year-old woman in jail for remembering first-hand a different version of Germany during the war. It seems people by and large still think the purpose of all these tax laws is just to collect taxes. A hospital is charging $39.59 for parents to hold their newborn. It seems some of the lineups caused by ballot machine malfunctions had random lawyers noting what was going wrong. The average religion website has an average of 115 viruses waiting to infect your computer.
           The imploded money pyramid FTX reportedly owes its top 50 creditor more than $3 billion. Since too many of them were Democrat donors, nobody really cares. Same with all the special committees and investigations against Trump. It’s beyond obviously part of a smear campaign, if they were ever going to find anything they would have long ago. It’s pathetic how the media never mentions the litany of failed cases, only to keep drumbeating on the next one. Twitter remains a question between whether the bad boys can shut it down for hate speech, or the Constitution allows criticism.
           The far left classifies all contrary views as hate speech so get the popcorn. Canada announces it will spend untold piles of money to become the world’s center for fighting disinformation. Makes sense, their school system hasn’t managed that since day one. And the EU is going to build their own broadband network, all by satellite. Militarily foolish, but a slap on the Internet’s face.
Last Laugh