Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Monday, November 21, 2022

November 21, 2022

Yesteryear
One year ago today: November 21, 2021, the fake turkey dinner.
Five years ago today: November 21, 2017, funny taxes & the Opry.
Nine years ago today: November 21, 2013, roadside repairs, Ocala, FL.
Random years ago today: November 21, 2018, hit the eject button.

           Warm enough. First, a nice breakfast and I found several old batch coffee cartridges in the bottom of the drawer. At least we start the day with a good brew. I sometimes get asked the difference. Start with extremes. Make two cups of coffee. Your favorite and a cup of Folger’s instant. That’s your answer. My palate can discern that down to 1% of what you just experienced. To me, Folger’s tastes like the central African dirt they must cut it with. Check back later as we have conference call in a half-hour concerning the 2030 Plan, the investment in the real estate fund. Shouldn’t take long.
           How much has life slowed down? Take this entry: this morning, because I cannot break my lifelong habit of grabbing my shirts behind my neck to take them off, I ruined yet another of my favorites. All but a few of my shirts are pullovers and I never remember the right way to remove them. And here is the traffic cone I liberated for my shop sawdust vacuum.

           My morning laff was from MIT, who published a study that concluded that the robotics replacement of low-skilled workers is contributing to a wage gap. This is why MIT types are geniuses, they can figure this kind of stuff out all on their own. The report is many times longer and more complicated than it has to be. I can explain it much faster. Ready? The amount that unskilled workers get paid can never rise above the cost of using a machine to do the job. And as we know, the cost of those machines has been plunging due to unreasonable worker demands. Sure, we had demands when I was younger, but none were based on the assumption the world was obligated to pay me a living wage. I lived on what I got, a lesson apparently too difficult for today's teens.

           And that type of costing is something I’ve studied some six years of my life, including a lot of lecture time. Beside to cone is a pallet that I will later attempt to clean in less than seven minutes. Around here you’ll further see a photo of some lumber with nails. This will also be tested for timing. I believe even my basic system to be far superior to doing anything by hand, but that it will prove more economical for me to do these jobs myself. You may have to return tomorrow for the experiment with this lumber. It has two tests in one. The timing is important, but also I’m going to use the portable air tank to see how far it is capable of driving the Airlocker™ tool.
           If it proves successful, that solves a major problem in Tennessee. The big doggie can get through the now seven-year-old fence. It is best repaired with pallet lumber and the most difficult part of that is cleaning the lumber. If the gun will punch even 49 nails (I have it calculated) on a single “charge” then that makes cleaning possible on-site. You see, even one of those chintzy 12V car tire compressors will eventually top up an air tank. It’s an interesting experiment, be sure to return for the results. I’m recording it so it can be posted without breaking any rules around here.

           Less than a day back on Twitter, President Trump has around 90 million followers. Joe has under 28 million and some sources say up to 70% of those could be fakes. I checked Gab for another laff, but Gab’s blocking system filters out the really bad ones. They never last without an audience. To infuriate them, use your edit feature to change the wording based on their snarky replies, or reword your post to make them look like total idiots. I cut my teeth on these techniques back at the phone company.
           Trump proposes three changes that terrify the establishment. They must be banned from insider trading. No using taxpayer money for campaigning. Lifetime ban on lobbying once they leave politics. Sounds pretty fair but again, most people have no idea how deep the roots of corruption go. I’ll wager more than half the civil service don’t believe they are corrupt because they think this is the way it goes.

Picture of the day.
Feeding swans in winter.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           The high point of today was going over some rather technical changes to the tax code and a brush up on capital gain laws. I won’t explain, instead I have here a move about the Yamato. That’s the largest battleship ever built. That was in Japan, built for a type of warfare that no longer existed. “Riego” is top-shelf stuff from Dollar Tree, let’s read the jacket. The Yamoto on routine patrol (by that time in the war oil was so short there was no such thing) fires on what it thinks is a submarine. But it is the cub of Riego.I need a nap, as I have an unexplained mild headache. That’s one symptom I don’t ignore.
           Somebody has made a 2019 movie using the “Jaws” shark or a replica. I’ll stick with the underwater Godzilla vs Yamato. I’ll pass on “She Kills”, the woman whose vagina has been stoked by cosmic forces. Let me settle in to watch a Kaiju movie, this is called. “Reigo, King of the Sea Monsters”. It’ is Japanese with subtitles. It begins with stock footage from ironbotttom sound, a wartime bay where the Japanese lost half a fleet or something. So far the movie is in black and white. The Japanese word for penis is apparently jing-jing.

           Later, I scored a big load of pallet lumber that will frame in my compressor and also the sawdust vacuum. It dawned on my I could make things even more efficient if I chose only the parts I need. Hmmm, between my Yeti and a small compressor, or even an air tank, have enough to punch out say 30 or 40 nails? I got 36 pieces of excellent lumber that still needs to be cleaned. That was my limit today, I’m in the mood to just pile in the van and drive to Tennessee. This load of lumber will be carefully timed for how fast the nails can be cleaned. That used to be the slowest part of the operation. Plus, I want to see if the gun can be operated even a few dozen punches off an air tank. I could do that right now.
           Instead, I drove to Bartow for a brew. I stayed a couple hours, sketching out the compressor stand, the vacuum system, and the surprisingly large amount of electric cable, boxes, & switches to bring it all together. I stopped for supplies to notice that a Thanksgiving turkey now exceeds $50. I last cooked one on principle when I moved here. More celebrate my own place, knowing I might never do it again. That turkey cost $18 and I never cooked one again. Not over the price, but that I had to eat turkey for a month. What’s more, it was an inauguration of this cabin, never meant to be a trend. I’m more a baker of muffins than of family-sized meals. So no, I’m ain’t cookin’ no $50 turkey. The election is over and gas prices are already climbing.
           Here is one of the few fast food items I consume. It’s from Dollar Tree and the ingredient list is just marginally over my limits. For convenience, this is my choice. I know the exact calorie count and it is ready in 85 seconds. Sadly, the product itself is now downsized to what you see here. The package remains large but the contents are shrunk a good one-third. It’s now the size of those wimpy burgers or whatever they used to call them. Overall, the price per unit has now risen by 38%. There are several wrong ways to calculate this, but first the price went up 25%, then the size went down by a third. You are paying 25% more for 2/3rds as much burger. Do our own arithmetic. No Ken, that is not math, just ordinary arithmetic.

Last Laugh