Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Tuesday, November 29, 2022

November 29, 2022

Yesteryear
One year ago today: November 29, 2021, toys have changed.
Five years ago today: November 29, 2017, I like audio-books.
Nine years ago today: November 29, 2013, one quick look.
Random years ago today: November 29, 2003, Coconut Grove.

           I made it out on the road by 7:30AM instead of 5:00AM. A perimeter check showed one of the window shutters was loose and I could not leave until it was fastened. Which meant hauling out the ladder. You may have to wait for the details of this journey. It was a different format, where I used the van to crash during the day just north of Valdosta. This chews up valuable prime driving time, but if you plan the rest stops right, it really breaks up the driving into easy pieces.
           Once again, I took the freeway west of Sumterville in Florida because the other roads are so confusing. Stopping for coffee and a breakfast burrito nearby, I met a lady who knows the terrain. Ah, she says, that area baffles people and GPS settings. The road is referred to by a name, not a number. I toyed with the idea of taking side roads, but instead stayed on I-75 north to Valdosta, where I stopped for a 1-1/2 hour siesta. Strange they call them rest stops, but you cannot stay overnight even with a camper or van. I’m sure there is a reason just as I’m sure it was some bureaucrat that came up with it.

           Back on the road until dark, I hit a fairly bad rainstorm just north of Macon. Otherwise the trip so far is uneventful. The Yeti battery is disappointing, it seems to power only small fans and lights, but I'm still testing. I have no working tablet so I’m dependent on finding user-friendly libraries along the route. User-friendly means they don’t demand and copy your ID and log your information into a database “for future reference” beyond your knowledge or control. Call me a conspiracy theorist, but if you do you have not paid attention to what happened to the guitar player in my last band. We warned him, and now he’s up the creek. Nobody knows what will be made illegal or suspicious tomorrow, so keep your trap shut today.

           Checking the news feeds, I don’t have long enough time to verify this news, but California is going to allow robots to kill. On paper, it is crime prevention. In reality is it crowd control. Most of any good people ever left in California are leaving and what’s left in places like San Francisco are the dregs of American society. Those over-fed, over-coddled products a far-too luxurious welfare system and the entitlement generation that it spawned. This people are no longer physically or mentally capable of ever becoming self-supporting. I say they would rather riot and pillage than even consider such things as getting a job.
           One predictable outcome is the robots will necessarily be programmed to spot criminal behavior. How long before one of the criminal races we have in this country files a suit for discrimination. Remember the facial recognition software? It picked what was it 84% of blacks as criminals. Remember the outcome? They cancelled the program. They said it was racism. They did not say the software was wrong.

Picture of the day.
Ypsilanti water tower.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           I made excellent time, including through Atlanta in less than a half hour. What was the name of that town I snoozed, ah, I remember now. Cordele. That’s the place they would not believe me that there was such a thing as a newspaper. One of the blurbs said it was near the site of the infamous Confederate prison at Andersonville. They lied, when I finally got the facts, it is some 28 miles off the freeway, or a minimum hour’s drive. Plus, the ads did not say the prison, but Andersonville Town, and after the rip-off at the Alamo,
I prefer to sift through the bullshit at home, while that is still possible.
           Sure enough, see this photo? It’s the best available of what’s there, two reconstructed walls with a gate. For some silly reason, I thought there was a museum, or that some of the original parts had been restored or preserved. I saved the hour and got back on the highway. No alternative stops were planned, even though it turns out I’ll be arriving in Nashville a few days earlier than expected. Dang, I did not double check for my winter jacket and forgot it behind. That’s why I’m lucky to know where all the great thrift stores are in that town.

           Now, you know how Sony cameras function as expected—except when they know you are on holidays or need to keep a special shot? I had videos from this trip that were interesting. But they kept storing themselves in folders that would not play back or open. I had a scene of tons of leaves swirling down the roadway, Poof, the folder appears but you cannot open it. That’s Sony for you. How do they know?

Last Laugh
"You had one job . . ."