Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Monday, December 12, 2022

December 12, 2022

Yesteryear
One year ago today: December 12, 2021, most were NWP.
Five years ago today: December 12, 2017, the museum @ Polk.
Nine years ago today: December 12, 2013, still no cell phones allowed.
Random years ago today: December 12, 2009, I lost the video.

           Down to 44°F and it went right to my legs. We got to an early morning appointment but by 8:00AM I was out of commission, leg-wise. So I read a detailed article on submarine propellors, in particular cavitation. I thought (like many) that the bubbles were caused by the prop blades churning oxygen dissolved in the sea water. Nope, it is because the blades push sub along by creating a higher pressure behind the blade. This means low pressure on the other side, and as we know, water under less pressure boils at a lower temperature. Hence, cavitation is not oxygen, but bubble of steam. They make a popping sound when they cool and gives away the submarine.
           The trick is to slow down the propellor and add more and bigger blades. These were also milled to a special finish which was top secret until some Soviet agents walk in and bought one over the counter. We attended a meeting first thing this morning, getting back here just after 8:00AM. About this time, Delta Airlines wised up and found the lost bag, and delivered it to the door. Evenwiser, they plunked it on the door step and got the hell out of Dodge. The bag had been opened, but all was intact.

           Here's the only footage (no sound) I have from the jam last evening, no views except these because in the end it was not really a jam. But I was ready, willing, & able. I only see the Kaiser once a year any more and even that is sporadic only if he's gigging while I'm in town. As speculated, I did get an excellent sound recording of “Beer-Flavored Kisses” which I will convert to MP3 and work with a bit on the bass. That, in my opinion, is the closest we'll ever get to having a hit recording, so keep alert for it, peeps. It will take the radio stations by storm.
           There's a bit more to the missing luggage, the anxiety means nobody got a good night's sleep, I mean how do those airlines know which bag contains the sentimental cargo? The pressure was off and we were able to order some presents on-line, including my long-awaited router bits and my guitar pick punch. That's an interesting item the credit card pick punch, because they now market strips of ordinary plastic. You can't get much more fine-tuned than selling somebody gear to make ordinary guitar picks at five times the store price, but such is marketing in the 20's.

           Wait, there's more. As I don't order on-line, the process uses the Reb's account. This creates a scenario I find somewhere between farcical and lamentable. I draw a line at around 2002, when most people I'd known who never used (and in some cases hated) computers, finally began to go on-line. With zero background in what computers were supposed to do, they were prime fodder for selling crap. Today this took the form of some of the items on my list not being Amazon “prime”. Stop for a second and think on that one. What would have happened if, instead of a generation of suckers, they had tried to sell me that in a supposedly computerized environment, that some things were prime and other were not. The only thing prime about that concept is that there are people who'd believe such drivel. (I know you get other stupid prizes on Amazon prime, but let's stay focused on ordering stuff.
           It's like valet parking and those rope lineups in the bank, as long as you have a critical mass of ignorant people to buy into the concept, you can sell them anything. As if ordering one item or another by pushing a button over at headquarters makes a lick of difference. To me, such thinking is a hallmark of the millennial class. They can't create or build, instead their entire mentality seems to be grabbing a bigger piece for themselves. So don't build a parking lot, rather paint some lines on the one that's been there for years and charge people extra to park near the door. Oh, I know it works. I just hope I live long enough to see such sheer disguised stupidity come back to bite them in the armpit. It's amazing, but there are still people out there who have to be told to stay away from Windows 10 password manager.

Picture of the day.
Largest know spider web.
(Spans 80 feet across a river.)
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           The returned baggage had a calming effect, great because I know the Reb was fitful the entire episode. So finally got some real shut-eye, which I contributed to by flopping on the downstairs sofa so the pets would stay put. Next thing I know, it is 8:30PM and everybody is now wide awake. We talked a while about her parents and she's given me the last stuffed toy she made for them, knowing I can't really keep a real pet of my own. There should be a picture. Her parents were born in Rhodesia back when it was a nice place and they stayed married 70 years. Sadly, I last saw them in 1994. Mind you, I was there for a very interesting part of their lives, as they transitioned to a very well-deserved retirement.
           I mentioned the difference in computer backgrounds and today's shopping shows how wrong things have gone. Take a look at this stopwatch. When I want to locate something, I first design a search criteria that filters out the obvious baloney. Then I key it in and usually find my quarry unless it has been totally millennialized—and you've seen that happen often. You have to get past the bullsh and figure out what “modernism” they've given to some ordinary article. They can mansplain it better than me.

           The Reb, who began using computers within the past twenty years, has no such legacy. She will go to a site and begin scrolling through the offerings. And scrolling, it is the millennial national sport. To latecomers, this is reality. To those who know computers were originally designed to get around such nonsense, it's a travesty. I'll describe it, but two things first. One, I'm not saying my way is right, two, I am not singling anyone out, but describing a major inefficiency with an edge that all inefficiencies are wrong along with the people who unthinkingly support them.

           Okay, I searched for this special watch because of qualities I wanted, not for the selling features being plugged by some web-site. It has to have 24-hour display with the date, as the most common navigational is forgetting the Sun is past the International Date Line. It also has to be a non-magnetic metal case, and cheap because I tend to lose such items rather than break them. (I'm posting these criteria so you know there is some seriousness to my method.) The account for ordering is set up on the Reb's computer and here's where, if you look, you can see what is wrong—and why most people can't see any such thing.
           That system has been gradually taken ove and is controlled by the site, not the user. They've been sold it wrapped up as “better matched” when in fact they are being led down a garden path. Even when I took over and plugged in the exact search criteria I had used moments earlier, this stopwatch could not be found on the upstairs computer. To a classically educated person, that is a huge danger signal. And pointing it out offends the power-user class.

           This tells me millions of Amazon users have no idea how brainwashed they are. It was a simple process for the system. Educate them so poorly they have nothing to compare it to. They'll brag how COVID brought an upsurge in on-line ordering without a clue that is how the commies promised big tech they'd get their payback. They rarely connect that the hoax was designed to remove their options. To the average “power user” of today, you would get flak for even suggesting to them they've been taken because to them it is the real deal. A crappy system you could not get a thinking man to touch has become a millennial daily routine. It's their own fault. I've seen them spend an hour looking for their smart phones because they they've been conditioned to think phones that fit in a shirt pocket aren't “smart”.

           There are two follow-on dangers. First is, these people don't realize that they're being swindled. This blog talked about this in 1985, how computers open the possibility of cheating millions out of a few pennies each. The snag is when the people doing the scam themselves begin to number in the millions and the pennies become dollars. The second threat is the emergence of tertiary software that takes advantage of the sad fact XYZers have accepted the fraud as normal. It now wipes out their reality—only due to their near-addiction to blind trust in their devices, they won't know what hit them. Can you imagine the hilarity if the government shut off all their phones for 24 hours?
           But don't include me. My communication system is so slick I only have to make around two phone calls every three days. Oh, they tried to sell me on the concept of “running out of minutes” but got about as far with me as [they did with] that “overdraft protection” bunco. Folks, it is 2022 and the computerized smart phone era. If you still manage to botch up your bank account, they've got you.

ADDENDUM
           The last 48 exhausting hours is finally over, everybody is asleep except me. I'm watching an idiot video, the docutainment crap on ancient buildings. Why? Because they unawaredly show great usage of ground and water penetrating radar. It was 1995 that good old what's-his-name wanted to invest in them, but the software that produced the 3D images was not ready, so I sensibly said no. I have no regrets that it was a lost opportunity, I mean, get in line. The development [of user-friendly ground radar] was so dreadfully slow I'm just watching it now for signs of real improvement. There were not many.
           Those little metal tabs on some electric box cover plates, I found out what they are. These plates are raised so they stand a bit away from the box and are held in place by the four corner screws. This would leave the plugs (receptacles) in the wrong position. The metal tabs are odd-shaped nuts used to secure the receptacles to the cover plate rather than to the box itself. They just look funny but apparently designed to be held conveniently with pair of pliers.

           Switzerland has banned electric cars over their excessive energy use. This blog has long been a proponent of naming names when it comes to civil servants. This is not doxxing, they give up any right to anonymity as a condition of employment. Read the fine print. And I've also said do something about the ballot harvesters. These are vulnerable people with names and home addresses. It seems Musk may finally agree, although I can't see him giving this blog all the credit that is due. He's apparently buying the movie “2000 Mules” and publishing the names and home addresses. I hope the mules are shitting their pants. The former Twitter head of trust has had to flee from home due to threats. These people need to know their evil follows them home at the end of the day. So, imagine what most people would do if they found out their next door neighbor was killing old people at the nursing home.
           And ridiculous as it all sounds to sane people, the authorities have just announced a vaccine for babies and advised they get the shot “before the holidays”. Every major news outlet accepts the bribe to lead off with a COVID item and to continue the charade that the pandemic is real and those who don't believe it have mental problems. They are shooting for lockdowns and mask mandates apparently without any clue that these tactics are no longer working. Notice how the announcement was made by “the authorities”. I say list their names, phone numbers, and home address, and see how long they continue to announce such things.

Last Laugh