Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Tuesday, January 24, 2023

January 24, 2023

Yesteryear
One year ago today: January 24,2022, the van is misfiring.
Five years ago today: January 24,2018,rehearsal 6 is psychological.
Nine years ago today: January 24,2014, a $50 contraption.
Random years ago today: January 24, 2009, memorize that phrase.

           Another low-energy day had me reviewing the investments. Nothing to report except some details with Caltier. I’m happy with the move, I do not believe I could have invested in this form of rental properties any other way. Now I own a measurable fraction, which is slated for a monthly increase through March. Expect a dividend next Sunday. You can review this fund on-line so I’ll mention what I like. This is the B&C markets, think of it as the middle-class working rental units. If predictions are true, this is the next wave in the housing market. Unless housing drops to half-price, it is out of reach of most workers. I’m banking that even if it does, the rental market remains.
           If you didn’t get in when I did, the entry minimum may soon be doubled. I threw in $500 and watched, that move is well-documented in this blog. The Caltier site and system is quirky. It’s actually trickier to log on than to join up, duh. It seems people obviously not that bright have an easier time with the site than I do, but then, I don’t know what they are watching for. Maybe they are just checking their balances? I’m watching for everything from turnaround time to how they are weighting their averages. Here are my four favorite properties which, I believe, this fund owns outright, and I own 1/10,000ths of the fund.

           In order of appearance, these are
The Lakewood, Houston, TX 88 units.
The Glenwood, Provo, UT 194 units
The Apex, Ft. Worth, TX 152 units
Lake Elsinore, CA 36 units.
           The Caltier Fund itself has struck gold several times by having money when nobody else did. Witness the Solano Vista in Arizona, which was showing a 74% IRR when they flipped it for three times the purchase price. However, I’m not keen on such gambling so otherwise, the fund is [so-so] behaving itself. The fund is evolving and seems to approach the market in a manner I recognize. That’s mainly buy what you can afford in cash, buy when the other guy has to sell, keep rental standards high, and expand out of revenues.
           The alternative to this fund was American Tower, the people behind the cell towers, and they own 43,000 of them. I balked upon learning they were heavily government regulated. Did I add this investment has not even taken off yet and JZ is jealous? Ha, tough tit, guy. You could easily have played copycat. Well, not that easily, since you gave away that computer I set up for you 15 years ago. But that’s another tale from the trailer court.

           Boeing, the airplane people, have more than once nearly bankrupted the company by betting on a design that required technology not invented yet. Sometimes, like the 747, it pays off. The Dreamliner, not so much. Boeing has announced no new aircraft designs until after 2030. They will let other companies exhaust their reserves because Boeing is waiting for, an engine breakthrough. I have basic understanding of the turbines and how bypass engines use larger vanes to push larger volumes of air. This was supposed to result in jet engines with propellors but they had a far too loud buzzsaw noise. And were scrapped.
           The compressor blades of the intake turbines is a process I never understood. One set of blades moves, the second set “smoothes” the flow. I guessed that’s where the breakthrough must occur. Somebody else, with no such confusion, has figured out how to use the same setup to operate thrust propellors. Yep, I was surprised. It’s like a ducted turbofan without the duct. Just you watch, now somebody will figure out how to “fake” a larger turbine diameter. My hunch says this prop design is a better bet than concepts around hydrogen fuel. We’ve grown weary of all the “breakthrough” announcement concerning fuel cells.

Picture of the day.
Used seismograph drums.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           How about Big Media now trying to push “stroke season”. So many people are dying from the vaccine, they are hyping that it is normal for increased strokes right after flu season. They just don’t realize how disgusting they really are. The problem with remote work is (just like I said), the company does not like when they can’t oversee the worker. One of the toughest aspects of my career at the phone place was the long hours of being forced to associate with people I would ordinarily not take a piss on. It’s impossible to quantify just how this went, but I did have a stress related heart attack over it.
           I survived because I was always quick to learn the minimum amount of work to do so as to keep just ahead of the radar. Each new supervisor that came through tried to get my phone and address of file. None succeeded. Management was constantly conniving ways to get more work out of you, which led to the joke that they wanted you to shove a broom up your arse so you’d sweep the floor while walking around. Hence, although I don’t side with them on working at home as a “right”, I fully understand them not wanting back into the cutthroat office atmosphere.

           Some dickhead has posted on TikTok that women should go husband-hunting at Home Depot. Dang, up until now, the lumber yard was mostly a safe space. Let’s go over to Gab and list the top eight comments:
1. All the men are named Alejandro, Pedro, or Juan.
2. That explains the outfits I’ve seen there lately.
3. The aisles must be crawling with sexy coeds.
4. Only works if you’re looking to get nailed.
5. When you are looking to marry an illegal alien villager.
6. Yikes. Get stalked by a blue-haired bunny boiler with a quadruple digit body count.
7. The smart ones will be outside scoping the Pro Parking spots.
8. Last year it was the faggots using that strategy.
           What’s this? The average egg consumption per year is 1,826? That’s five times as many as I eat. Including those I bake with. Next item, Apple laptops from 2020 are being scrapped because their locking features, once activated, cannot be unlocked unless the owner can prove it is legally acquired and contacts Apple within 30 days. MicroSoft, under the guise of counting how many out-of-support installs are still in use, is trying to con people into an update. MicroSoft refuses to say what it intends to do with the data. To me, there is one reason only why MicroSoft would want to know if you are running an outdated version of Windows. The significance here is that by implication, this is the first time MicroSoft admits to this brand of wrongdoing.
           I say they’ve been doing it since Vista, way back around 2005. This, folks, is a message to people who think because I’m not current on the latest shit-ware, that I’m behind them when it comes to computers. What was that crashing noise just now? It’s dark, but it means that squirrel has finally unhooked the woodpecker feeder. I should have cut that new baffle today but I never even make it outside. Instead, I began watching the 2005 version of Jules Verne’s “Mysterious Island”. A tacky production but okay acting. I mean, a giant mantis?

           Rumor is Google will axe another 28,000 by year’s end, and the losers are already publishing articles over how Google will “regret” the loss of brainpower. Union Pacific, the railroad, has embarked on a major share repurchase amidst the howling of their employees, who just got a 14% raise. What caught my attention is that another issue was sick leave. In 2023, some unions still don’t have sick leave? That’s one on me. Mars, the makers of M&Ms became such a laughing stock they’ve pulled their fatso and queer candies off the market.

ADDENDUM
           Some people were shocked to hear that ChatGPT has passed the Wharton MBA exam. Not me, the exam has become progressively more full of bullshit questions for the past 30 years. It makes perfect sense to me that what today’s imbeciles call A.I. would excel at telling people what they want to hear. I’m for anything that puts those Hindu-accented help desks out of business.

           I’ve dropped my link to the International Journal of Trends, which used to have interesting articles on new science. Now it’s nothing but a sounding board for Hindus & Pakistanis, who, in my opinion, should have their own Internet and their own journal sites. Being that they have such a vastly superior culture to begin with.
           In 2012 I looked at that ancient site in Turkey which is now causing troubles with Egypt, who dates the Sphynx at 4,500 years. I looked as much as possible at Gobekli Tepe, but left it hoping it would make news. I rarely heard of it again until now. I don’t know the implications but it would seem the Egyptology mafia do not like their work being questioned. I tend to agree that the sphynx is very old based on the water erosion patterns found in the rocks. The finding was important enough I spent a half day on it and how strange in ten years nothing is heard much until now. Did somebody find something?

Last Laugh