Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Wednesday, May 31, 2023

May 31, 2023

Yesteryear
One year ago today: May 31, 2022, me & a carburetor.
Five years ago today: May 31, 2018, them little drain holes . . . .
Nine years ago today: May 31, 2014, some comments on silver.
Random years ago today: May 31, 2010, seeking the second DOS.

           Aha, some news from Caltier. They just paid a dividend that was 40% more than the total of all dividends since I began this account. That’s more like it, but my rule that says never invest in anything you don’t understand is strongly in play here. This brings their total return for the year into line with some of their advertising claims. But I’m not budging on finding out their methods, though it likely means I must wait until I return to my office computer, which may not be this week.
           It's a big hello from the little guy, peeking at you from behind the mesh of his private estate in the back yard. It’s a nice mesh, too, signaling “Members Only”. I put in time today laying out the tools for the security light, slated for tomorrow. This is a two-hour operation but just you watch, it will take much more than that, which I may describe at the time. I finished cleaning all the good lumber from the pallets and decided to do some reinforcing work on the ladder. The old wooden ladder which nobody remembers where it is from. It’s a bit wobbly and been repaired once already.

           Inspection shows that it was repaired with nails. Duh, you do not use nails on anything that moves or gets moved. This means to do a good job, I have to haul out the chop saw and that means all the extras. Fortunately, I now have two manageable extensions cords instead of one massive 100-footer. Or maybe it is 75 feet. Folks, get two small cords, not one big one.
Chicken. I brought home twenty pounds and cooked 15 of them because that is all the big pots we have in the house. Place smells great, the small pot is chicken for me as the Reb rarely eats it. I still use minimal salt so others may not care for my recipes. This time, one ingredient, namely chicken. The doggies are also on a careful diet.
           Sadly, the little doggie is getting on in years and he’s somewhat reverting to puppyhood. Playful at times, but mostly would prefer to find a warm spot and stay there a long time. I threw on a DVD, “One Man’s Hero”, kind of an interesting plot. It concerns the ill-treatment of Irish recruits in the US military in the 1800s. There was a strong anti-Catholic sentiment and it is a religion that rarely owns up to its own excesses. A troop deserts and after some swirling circumstances, wind up fighting for Mexico and facing their own former people.

Picture of the day.
Joyland, abandoned wood roller coaster.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           The first plan for this evening was a movie. Nope, nothing worth seeing. There were a couple action movies but we both have to be in the mood for that. We decided to stay home and play music, recording some of our older duet pieces. Can’t, the battery on my camcorder finally went super dead. I wonder if that model in Winter Haven is still on sale? As usual, despite the battery being one of the most mass-produced by SONY, the NP-BX1, it has proven impossible to find locally. We ordered on-line but it won’t be here until Friday at the soonest.
           The millennial system is beneath inefficient. You’d think they’d have learned to use the computer to increase productivity and move things faster. Instead you get the opposite. I’ve learned if they don’t have it in the store, don’t let them order it. As a defined segment of society, they are so inefficient they cause their own screw-ups. The very best of them seem at best capable of one simple on-handed task at a time, the other hand won’t let go of the phone. Morons. Like I want them to order it and make another trip down to the store to see if they got it right.

           The evening was at home, she’s got a gig tomorrow so I’ll tag along and play audience. Hey, one thing I can tell you for sure is the venue will not be an ordinary place full of ordinary people. That’s why I’ll plan to take along a little homework or reading. I did not finish the DVD “One Man’s Hero”, since I went to put it on pause and accidentally hit the stop button. It’s a millennial design so no way to fast forward it without a remote. And the dog chewed it in half last trip.

ADDENDUM
           What I learned today. The Canadian donut shop chain Tim Hortons was started by a drunk who died in a police chase. Twitters true value (and if you ask me the Internet businesses in general) is now estimated to be a third of what Musk paid. Ants can use landmarks to navigate. Climate change activists claim Earth has passed seven out of eight “scientifically established” safety limits.

Last Laugh