Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Thursday, June 1, 2023

June 1, 2023

Yesteryear
One year ago today: June 1, 2022, Canada’s worst employer.
Five years ago today: June 1, 2018, book repair course.
Nine years ago today: June 1, 2014, robots are expensive.
Random years ago today: June 1, 2007, Seattle drizzle.

           June 1 and what am I still doing in Nashville? I know, today was mostly trying to get the new yard security light installed. Ha, I got a tale from the trailer court for the guys. This job should involve three or four trips up the ladder in a couple of hours. Nope, four hours. What? Ah, did you factor in the whole situation? I took out the instructions and put them on the desk. They went missing, you know how guys will create a mess if you don’t throw things out. So the package had fifteen pieces, you can’t just figure what each is for, this is a millennial product. You have to figure out what order they go in and if there are any extra pieces.
           The early morning was eaten up repairing the ladder, I had to reinforce the bottom three rungs. And the chop saw is still missing that guide bolt. All the pallet lumber worth anything is piled in the van, but that’s another delay. You see, if it was me, I’d close the back door for a couple hours so I could leave the porch and gate open. Not so fast pal. Poor little doggies. So, if since I was back and forth around 30 times, this meant opening and closing the screen door and the gate 60 times each. You know what I’m talking about.

           And without those instructions, I have no way of knowing if the wiring is right or the dials are set. So instead of up the ladder a few times, it was more like 30 times. And still no way to confirm it is done right. You see, the light stays on. But is that because the sensitivity is too high and the leaves in the wind are setting it off? Finally, after 4-1/2 hours, I took the empty box to the library and looked up the manual on-line. Seems I got it right, but the manual does not mention the sensitivity, only that you are supposed to adjust it. Good thing I left the ladder in place. Would not want some millennial to have to write an extra sentence or two describing the range settings. It’s easier on him for you to crawl back up the ladder as many times as it takes to get it right.
           The Pacific crossing book gets a second closer read. I’m combing through the parts that deal with navigation and found mention of a rock in the middle of the ocean. No mention of it on the Internet. According to the old Spanish accounts, it rises 325 feet above the waterline. Has it been renamed? Blasted? Toppled? The picture is a hobby I find utterly non-fascinating. It’s called coin-cutting. Never heard of it until today.

           Look at the millennials and xyzers going ballistic. Hey, they wanted $15 and hour for unskilled labor and now their rents are going crazy. There are reports from Las Vegas of apartments hitting $7,980 per month. While I have definite views on people who borrow money to buy into real estate planning to pass the cost onto renters, as for these xyzers caught in their own quicksand, I’d rather laugh. Most of them had resources I could only have dreamed of and they still wind up on the skids.
           Another example of their bullshit is Bitwise. It’s a company I see as taking mediocre employees and teaching them to code “green” applications or some such nonsense. Well, today they canned all 900 of them. Sent them packing without notice. How about those “pay for content” quarrels. Established media wants on-line media to pay a fee for any news items they re-broadcast. I see both sides of the issue. But it mainly boils down to big media has had 40 years of Internet time to get off their asses and adapt, and I also think big media had it coming. They are essential trying to censor gossip, which I am not against except that the methods they propose all involve so many privacy issues that their motives are suspect.

           And today’s list of who to boycott reads:

Target
Bud Light
Kohl’s
Calvin Klein
Nike
Pantene
Dove
Citi
Adidas
Gillette
Picture of the day.
Museum in Cairo, Egypt.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           By later, I think I got the wiring right but now there seems no way to test the range without two people in the loop. Inasmuch as we are both busy today, that will now wait with the ladder set up. Fine, we took off to a showcase at the Elm Hill, oh, what’s that hotel? Black House or something, I don’t like it because it is a dusty old-folks home. I’ve never seen the place more than 10% full and usually that is the people waiting their turn. Stick around, I have some good news in a moment. If you want to experience what defines Nashville music these days, attend one of these functions. One is enough, the entire musical show is formulaic. There was once a Nashville sound and it was a bit rustic, a bit rough on the edges. Then along showed up these fat older guys with guitar licks so perfect you’d think it was a studio recording. The more so because you’ve already heard every note, every fill, and every lick they play. I propose a new term for these boys, “guitar jockeys”. Because they are really just playing somebody else’s music so exactly, they might as well put on a recording.
           My Tennessee DeLorme is here, this is not a guide to city streets. You can pick those up at Wal*Mart. This shows the back roads and I’m contemplating a different route back through the mountains. This has been an extra-interesting visit, a part of that is Caltier. After three hours of trying to figure out their methods, I give up.

           Finally I met the gal that the Reb writes music with. She plays more perfect guitar licks but is too far down that path to be creative enough. It’s great listened, it was also amusing to see the difference the North American diet makes. The Reb is twice that lady’s age and still looked like her younger sister. I promised good news. After the Reb got off stage somebody tipped her $50. Yep, it’s been years, but there it was, a fifty. The Reb invited me to dinner, we went up to the Sunflower CafĂ©, our long-term favorite. We had the “Bruschetti burgers” and it was excellent.
           Sorry for the lack of pictures, the new battery has not arrived. For the record, the old battery lasted for years, I must have got lucky. While I’m still not certain it’s the problem, it makes me realize what an integral part of this blog that pictures play. The photos in this journal are almost exclusively my own and I have no plans to change.

Last Laugh