Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Thursday, July 13, 2023

July 13, 2023

Yesteryear
One year ago today: July 13, 2022, reading and music.
Five years ago today: July 13, 2018, one hour.
Nine years ago today: July 13, 2014, all drum boxes suck.
Random years ago today: July 13, 2009, my Internet business- failing.

           Up early enough to do some tinkering with the plastic squirrel rings. I’ve learned to glue them in threes, then build up from there. I may scout around for those tiny clothespins, if not they are from Dollar Tree. Gradually I’ll discover some optimum method here. I see the globalist Dutch government has resigned in disgrace. That’s odd, I say, because that government had far more power than they used against the populace. Somebody got to them. Israel is preparing to evacuate Jews from France in case the Whites start fighting back.

           Really, I should not be wasting time on squirrel baffles when the cabin requires about 500 hours of work. That’s how far I’ve fallen behind since November 2017. Here we are and here is the progress on the plastic squirrel “onion rings.” It’s as messy as it looks. The pieces are not bendable. That means at least the pilot model will be rectangular, not that the birds care. They must be able to get inside the rings and perch to get the food. Only experimentation will show if this is a viable approach. This is the blog that dares to feature gluing plastic rings together, and that is why you love it.

           The PVC cement is difficult and expensive. The aroma of acetone gives me the urge to try that chemical. Using a medicine dropper would be a great help if it works out. The cement also has a longer drying time than when used for piping, where we presume is smears better between the fitted joints. Wider rings are not the answer, as you want to be able to see the birds, right?
           Eureka, a mild breeze picked up and I was out there. That avocado I threw in the pot has sprouted, but pretty weakly and it’s been almost a year. I gave it a favored spot “midst the oregano”. It looks funny but I’m not going back out there for a picture now and no, you can’t borrow the camera. This guy on GAB posted an article on paying his son $1 for every book he read. The kid read 120 books so far. I’m happy for them, but no way to avoid the angst of wondering what it must be like to have parents like that. I read more books per year than all by relatives combined read in a lifetime. Let me double-check. Yep, if I keep this pace and I usually do, by end of the year I’ll have read 70 books. That’s real books, not the Harlequin Romances.

           And I’ve discovered that acetone does not bind PVC, in fact, it has almost no surface effect. It must be added as a drying agent or something. As with most newer vehicles, the KIA has the design defect there is no place to prop anything inside the cab. I get the safety and liability issues of a plastic dash, but they go a step further and make it so you can’t rig something up yourself. Thus, I’m making my own bracket for the dash cam. Rather than piece it, I’ve machined the frame out of a solid piece of wood, which will use thinner plywood to wedge the camera into the center cavity. Once there is wood to hold a clamp, we’ll find something to hold it in place.
           This photo shows some lumber I’m upgrading. I’m still building tool boxes, but sometimes when I score better quality lumber, it gets this treatment. It’s pretty straightforward, furniture companies do it all the time. Cut away the knots, splinters, and any defects. I don’t rejoin shorter into longer pieces, rather select those already long enough for a box. In this case, any box. The size is determined by how the pieces come off the saw table. The purple marking indicates the lumber was from the cull cart, 70% off.

Picture of the day.
Huge Austalian feral cat.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           Every third trip, something gets forgotten in Miami. That’s JZ’s rule of thumb. This time it was the charger for my new phone, but any C model works. Soon as the doctors have the machine calibrated, I’ll be back there anyway. Meanwhile, I’ve got plenty to stay busy. Post-industrial America or not, there is a glue out there that will handle my project. The wind abated but the afternoon stayed cool enough to move some lumber and tend to the plants. When the potatoes are planted, I will have trouble reaching the far back shelves.
           It was a good idea to mount an extra exterior tap (hose bib) outside, but I managed to get it in an inconvenient spot. The prototype camera bracket is mostly done. The mount may require I fasten something flat to the KIA dash, or drill another set of mounting holes as was done for the GPS unit. This is the most exciting activity today. If you want adventure, you’ll have to wait until I key enter my 1980 material.

           Here is the box of the week. This is not fancy joinery. It’s typical of the tool box style I make from the raw pallet lumber. The slats are usually connected with biscuits. Warning, the biscuits are not strong enough to keep the lumber from warping. As seen here, there is a solid layer of screws holding the lumber flat. The lid has just been cut and it is important to take care the depth of those screws. The one saving grace of these boxes is they are tough. I’ve never had one break even dropped from height.
           There will be hinges and rope handles put on later, and this one is big enough to hold something expensive. That means the corners may be reinforced. I’ve also learned to line at least the bottom of the boxes with hardboard as the pallets can still warp enough for small screws and accessories to drop through. For me, this was a good day. I moved some fence lumber and cleared space for the water heater. I may connect the plumbing and electrical on separate days, much as I would like to do it in one shot and cut service over.
           My mass readership from Singapore has evaporated, that’s the term I use for the end of a bloom. This time beat my all time daily record, which is a closely-guarded trade secret. But 5% of the clicks from all time in my blog history occurred within a twenty-day bloom last month. Bloom is my term for an unexplained surge in blog hits. This one was a doozie and not one of them left a comment or clue what it was all about. I have not been in Singapore since the early 80s. It’s nice, but there is nothing there for me.

           Changing topics, the German government has sent GAB a request for user information. I can’t believe they are that stupid, they basically handed over a list of what they don’t have and the meta-data on how they intend to cross-reference the material. That would be considered a serious security breach even in my small office. It’s akin to being in a war and handing the enemy a shopping list of what you don’t have. And folks, make no mistake about it, the government is your enemy. Their focus is control, they are no longer even attempting to run the country.

           Here are two of the damaged photos. The water damage is extensive. I published these photos as August 12 & 13, 2002. It’s the right time period and there were no journals kept at that time. You can barely make out two figures seated at a restaurant booth. I’ve researched some extra notes of the Long Range Desert Group, the truck and jeep patrols that kept a thorn in Rommel’s side. They were a lucky bunch, considering the slightest damage could leave them stranded. Some soldier named Moore walked 210 miles out of the desert with a pint of water. Another later sued the BBC for making up propaganda on he survived, suggesting he sat waiting on a sand dune and waiting until a regular British convoy showed up to give him lemonade.

           Speaking of military activity, have you seen the numbers of White Nationalists. If you still think it a few dozen hot-heads up in Idaho, look again. The ranks are swelling by the thousands and these people mean business. They appear in columns in such overwhelming numbers the police no longer openly confront them. The gain in experience is remarkable.
           They are against all non-white immigration, their motto is along the lines of “Send Them Back To Hell”. What’s more, they are learning to march, cover their faces, disperse their vehicles and leave cell phones at home. If these changes keep up at the same pace, all I can say is certain people had it coming. Right now they are carrying flags. If they get harassed like they used to be, that could change in a hurry.

           The US military is so screwed by wokeness that recruitment of real soldiers has fallen off the scale. Staunch military families are counseling their children to find other careers. The problem overflows into overseas commitments, which I should mention I am totally against. Let these countries at least provide their own manpower. Biden has become so desperate that he’s escalating the war in the Ukraine and wants to send forces to Europe. Except, he doesn’t have any. He’s had to call out the Ready Reserve. That’s the American term for old men who’ve already served their time and gone home. I call them the Volksturm.
           Bud Light continues to bleed out. The once blue-collar beer favorite did not back done on its association with queers. They thus became the epitome of the “Go Woke; Go Broke” slogan by losing $20 billion in sales. Their bull-headed refusal to apologize has made the brand take what by now is likely a permanent plunge. It isn’t even in the top ten any more. I say the parent company is getting some kind of back door money, as they are just not cash-rich enough to absorb that kind of financial hit.

ADDENDUM
           Let’s not overlook the ideas that come out over all the coffee consumed around here. One mentioned recently is selling rubber stamps with political messages. These are intended to be used on dollar bills. The phrases are left to your imagination. The problem isn’t. Such stamps would have to be sold in a way that isn’t as private as I would like. Then again, that undertaking has not been thoroughly discussed. The direction I took is software that prints what you want using your inkjet. Who remembers those check-printing machines? Well, dollar bills are the same size as checks.
           I say electronic money has made all kinds of these old check printers lying around pretty much for the asking. They used that MICR ink, but I’ve seen the bottles and for the messages needed here, ordinary ink will work just fine. Also, most printers have those sliding envelop guides that, if you ask me, should be adjustable to a stack of dollar bills. Or close enough.

           What’s needed is the concept of how to sell this idea without getting into any hot water or running afoul of some regulations. You know, I don’t think I’ve even see a stack of new $1 bills in decades. Don’t tell me I have to start doing some gal at the bank.. This is not photocopying anything, so the EURion pattern won’t block the process. What, you didn’t know that you can’t photocopy money? Try it. The scanner reconizes a series of concentric circles hidden in the design and you’ll get something like Error 105.
           But, printing the envelope setting is a piece of cake. The address positioning can be adjusted a bit but I found this isn’t needed for effect. Here’s a sample on the back of a twenty, which I can neither confirm nor deny was made here. Besides, the message is pretty tame to some of the other suggestions. A few quirks would have to be worked out, such as the tendency of the mailing option to print one copy and clear itself. But that’s why you learn how the import mailing list feature works.

           This negates the rubber stamp idea to a large degree, but not entirely. A rubber stamp is more portable and you can react to the moment. But for real production, use your computer. My advice is you use a separate printer, vary the denominations, and keep your suggestions sort. The best slogans are two words, and they aren’t “Let’s dance.” Another challenge is that a reasonably good stamp making machine can run you $2,000. Why didn’t I print on the face of the bill instead of the back? It’s called a serial number, Chumley.

Last Laugh