Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Saturday, October 28, 2023

October 28, 2023

Yesteryear
One year ago today: October 28, 2022, cost-mapping saw ponies.
Five years ago today: October 28, 2018, only $80, sigh.
Nine years ago today: October 28, 2014, cheese is GMO, folks.
Random years ago today: October 28, 2015, my $655 flat tire.

           This morning I received an ad for vacant land in Franklin, TN. Price tag: $37,500,000. Somebody must think I’m rich because the only connection is that is near to where the Caltier fund thinks we are situated. Mind you, it is 15 miles from Nashville so it is worth plenty. But what does one do on 37 million dollars worth of land? Dune buggy? It was off to the used paint place, where I picked up a six month supply of polyeurethane and polyacrylic. There is enough to go back and apply a finish to some of my earlier work. I have noticed which piece have begun to dry out, see, I’m learning.
           I was lucky to find a quart each of mineral spirits and turpentine which have skyrocketed in price. I got a few other goodies like chain saw oil and some products I would not likely try otherwise. I got there about ten minutes late. So the couple ahead of me got the choice wood stains, but such it is when you want things for free. I stopped at the pound to say hello to the doggies and I found a candidate. But the chart was wrong. She was not fully grown. But she was already a little over my size limit. Sorry, Sadie, the name on her tag.

           They have over 150 dogs this time around, mostly listed as strays. Most are fixed before they allow adoption, but there is a 30 day waiting list. If you want now, you have to pay. The pound has huge ventilation fans but the aroma still takes over. They had around 30 new dogs in the higher middle weight range, just too much for me to feed and I have to consider since I want an older dog, I may one day have to lift her up. Sammy is only 20 pounds and I can’t carry him more than a few hundred feet. Unlike the Reb, who has a pouch to carry him, I must slow down to his pace when he tires.
           On the return leg, I paused to mail a letter and almost stayed for dinner. It is near the famous Catfish restaurant. I missed apple Sunday last week so I could have, but then I remembered I only had twenty bucks on me and a big batch of chicken at home. Today I take more measurements on the air compressor. It has become a tool I use almost every day in the shed and it is loud enough to hear from the house. So the neighbors hear it, too. However it is already 85°F outside so we may not get very far on that.
           This picture is the end fitting on factory air hoses. It needs a special two-ring crimper which turns out not easy to find, but if you do, the one at Grainger can set you back $449. The piece has a funny name, ferrule or something and everybody on-line wants to tell me to splice a leaky hose but nobody talks about what goes on the end. Let me go put those cans away and get back here for nap. Okay, I’m back. It didn’t really take me an hour to move those cans, but everything in the shed that looks like wooden box now has a nice coat of protective finish. The can said 2-3 hours drying time and I didn’t want to waste the time in case I slept that long. You know me by now.

           First, we check the news. A 20-year-old bicyclist dies “suddenly”. Johnson & Johnson, the pharma giant, is filing for bankruptcy. Are you familiar with the term “social loafing”? It’s people who join a team so they can slack off because others have to pick up the slack. Turns out the same thing happens when they work around robots. It seems the geniuses who signed up for student loan relief didn’t read the fine print—they can be drafted first if a war starts. It seems the mainstream media avoided reporting drone attacks on US bases until Biden returned from a beach holiday. This is also the first many Americans learned the US even has bases in Iran and Iraq. The Trump trial in sick New York is not turning out at all like the Democrats planned.

Picture of the day.
Gobi desert scene.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           I applied more poly this afternoon than in my entire life. At least I can now tell whether something is brushed or sprayed. (Sprayed is better.) Ere long, eveything got a coat or two, sometimes three. Since I began, I’ve built, I’d guess, between 36 and 40 boxes that still exist. Shown here, even the boxes that are now relegated to holding junk parts are now all nice and shiny. It was a polyeurethane spree. Even unfinished lumber like the chainsaw box (bottom center) got a nice layer. My next small box, I intend to apply the best techniques I’ve taught myself. That’s right from biscuit joining the pieces up to this nice final layer.

           I’ve finally figured out why Bryne can’t hear the audio on the nice files I send him. He forgot how I repeatedly tell people if you use Android, their MP4 is different than the rest of the universe. Same with SONY and Windows Media player. They call them codecs, I call them stupidity. The instant you change a standard and call it the same name, you should be liable for damages. I do not know how to load the right codecs—but it’s a screwy millennial concept that in this day and age one should even have to. Sure, my generation had “drivers” but they finally learned to burn them into the gadget. Millennials love to make the same mistakes all over again.
           Next, Windows Movie Maker will not install on Win 8. Or, it installs, then won’t work saying required files are missing. These XYZers deserve all the shit that is coming down on their heads. I’ll eventually get it to work but it should never have not worked. Remember what I said about forward compatibility way back in 1985. It’s not like smart people don’t know it is all still Windows 95. Even top-notch outfits like Protonmail suffer from Millennial code-rot. When you activate the spam filters, the spam goes into your trash bin, which counts against your storage limit. Where do they even?

           Well, if I can’t make movies, I’ll learn some tunes. Let me put on the coffee and grab my bass. And spend a Saturday evening the way it should be. That was JZ on the phone for an hour. Miami prices are out of line but most of us saw that coming ten years back. That 150 condo unit across the street has only sold 17 in the last three years. I gave him the news on Caltier, he swears his portfolio contains REITs but he knows if he can’t follow and learn, he isn’t really the one making the investment. There was a death in the family recently, but I only vaguely recall meeting the lady once fifteen years ago. His father’s cousin’s wife, I believe. They adopted two kids, one of whom married a Japanese lady and all their grandkids have blue eyes. My condolences but memory fails.
           But JZ’s prediction the cactus is accurate. I can’t get a great picture of the budding but if you examine this view you can see the yellowish flowers near the bottom of the stem, then green higher up, until they are tiny and just starting. A pity, I liked that cactus and how it is turning yellow and brittle.

           Later, I went back out to the shed after dark to check on all the boxes, stacked everywhere, some outside. My preference seems to be mid-size boxes just over a foot long and around eight or nine inces wide. It a handy dimension for my chop saws and work area. If all added together it takes around five to six hours to produce a box, down from sixteen hours when I started.

Last Laugh