Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Friday, October 28, 2022

October 28, 2022

Yesteryear
One year ago today: October 28, 2021, Formula Six.
Five years ago today: October 28, 2017, important research, obviously.
Nine years ago today: October 28, 2013, this is day five.
Random years ago today: October 28, 2015, NATO miscounts, again.

           Such a beautiful day, I used it to get the van unloaded and built a pair of saw-ponies. I had called them knee-horses, because they are convenient to kneel on while working. The Reb said saw-ponies so that is the official designation. And a lot more convenient that heavy yellow plate with the lumber cutouts. I’m still experimenting but the basic design is fairly fixed. Here is a sample set I built today, this is not as functional as a slightly larger model. The explanation is the larger model cannot be made from a single 8-foot piece of lumber. This was to systematize the marking, cutting, and materials list. It requires seven pieces of lumber and sixteen screws. Shown here is new lumber, at $3.19 each.
           Thus, a profit at this is entirely dependent on getting a source of free lumber. There is more labor involved stripping and removing nails, but how that calculation is done is not as plain to the average person as it should be. As long as there is a positive cash flow, you never “lose” money in the sense of working for less than a living wage. The screws are 11.8¢ each, sixteen of the means hardware cost is $1.88. Total wood and hardware as depicted, means $5.07 each, and a pair means $10.14.

           This set took two hours, but they are hand-made. On paper, that’s a $2.43 per hour gross margin and addresses only variable costs. I have not timed how long it would take to cut these in batches of ten, but it would drop the cost rapidly. I would design new jigs and seriously look at a source of free pallet lumber. If the cost could be dropped to less than $2 per set, the deciding factor is labor. I further don’t know how long it takes to disassemble a pallet, only that I now have tools for that. I estimate if the work was lined up, these could be completely assembled in twenty minutes each.
           During the warm hours outside, I tested the new nail punch. It works good but should be used carefully. I shot the nails down into a bucket of water, but that will have to change to sand due to mosquitoes. The prybar used for removing nails is misplaced, probably in the silo. Overall, if this was run as a business, I don’t know what sales would be, but the potential output if they sold three an hour would be around $36 gross and that is not too bad for such an idea. The idea is attractive because the work can be done any time and the sale could be a piggyback at some local swap meet. This is all speculation at this point.

Picture of the day.
Clever bunks.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           Have you used one of those handy AC current detectors? Mine is the $10 Kobalt model. It beeps when there is AC current in a wire and doesn’t when there is not. What happened next is I don’t know if it is normal. I had the instrument on in my pocket and sat down next to my computer. Every piece of metal in the vicinity tested hot. Drawer handles, door knobs, my wrist watch, even the lid on my salt shaker. The computer is powerful enough to induce a current in every nearby piece of metal, even though the computer works only with DC current.
           This kudzu pic is from August, but represents the work. Pile it on the firepit and in a day or two it will burn easily, similar to bamboo. I speak with authority. I should be getting to the yard asap but instead, I’ll grab a day or maybe the weekend to drop back into local mode. There was a massive Halloween parade. Rather than relax like I should to go I instead had to drive 40 blocks out of my way to get to it as I needed supplies from a store that direction.
           Here’s a good one for you. Adobe Photoshop, it turns out, licenses some its colors. You heard me, some of the colors are “owned” in a technical sense. Pantone is a system used to make sure colors are true to an original when the paint dries. And now they want to charge for using it. Thus, when a color is identified as a distinctive Pantone hue, your computer monitor may begin backfilling the spaces with black, even on pictures that are decades old. This is consistent with the millennial generation, who have failed miserably to make the pie bigger, so they resort to slicing it up ever more finely, hoping to get a bigger piece at your expense. And that is why I’ve never used Photoshop in any real way, it was too commercial from day one.

           It was a busy enough day, though still disappointing for my usual. The laundry, birdfeeders, raking, and mainly unloading that van. There is something I’d like to try. The manual says the front seat can be folding completely back by removing the headrest. It does not say which front seat, or both, but if that can replace my current bed, that’s what I’d like. And I may have figured out the backup camera, I’ll let you know. It does not come on automatically apparently. You must put the shifter in reverse and press a button on the mirror. I think. Manuals are piss-poor when it comes to directions for this sort of thing.
           I further tested the special cable I purchased for the Yeti that uses one of the 12V ports built into the van. It would be nice to have the Yeti in a position where the panel is accessible but that also makes the unit visible from outside the van. Also, the van ports than can be used are permanently on, I wonder who came up with that one? If I have to make a custom panel, the first option will be a kill switch.

ADDENDUM
           Ha, top news story is Nancy came home early and found her husband in bed with his bum-boy. Thinking quickly, they threw a hammer out the window and claimed it was an attacker. The MSM is running cover for them as the speechwriters go bonkers trying to pin this one on Trump. Nobody is buying the bullshit. When the police arrived, the ‘attacker’ and Pelosi were in their underwear.            These sick people were toast, now they are even worse off. No way Nancy squirms out of this one.
Later, there is a report circulating that Nancy was arrested for lying to the police, but the picture does not provide proof. In America, arrested people are always handcuffed, even when unnecessary, as a method to cower them. The photo only shows her being led away. Do your own research, but this is a disaster for the already sinking Democrat Titanic.

Last Laugh