Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Tuesday, October 3, 2023

October 3, 2023

Yesteryear
One year ago today: October 3, 2022, somebody else’s job.
Five years ago today: October 3, 2018, tops in one thing, ha!
Nine years ago today: October 3, 2014, quit, up $20K.
Random years ago today: October 3, 2013,steal your own identity.

           Spicer Farm is for sale. I must see if the Reb wants to go partners. The price tag is $7 million but they only want $1/4 million down. Ha-ha, but for that you get 9 bedrooms and 8 bathrooms. A private bowling alley and indoor golf practice range. No mention of a library but the kitchen seats 30 and has a 15 foot big screen. For those who like a little CNN with their caviar. It’s 15,000 square feet, not counting the stables. It got past my filter because the resident is listed as 21 years old. Somebody called Reese Hankin? Never heard of him. Quick, lend me $7 million until the next time you see me.
           Granny has not answered my inquiry about music. She lives on-line so I hope she hasn’t kicked the bucket just when I found a use for her. I gather 100% of the other entertainers she knows must be pretty damn boring by comparison, so where is her reply? I send her video to the Prez, with a warning some things cannot be unheard. She bellows out them old broadway hits, what’s that “nothing more than a fish in the ocean” song? That stuff.

           On the way to pay bills, I found a curbside ammo box, made in Korea. With some interest I examined the construction, noting it was designed to carry 25 pounds of ammo. (The empty box is 12 pounds.) More than anything I carry in a box, even my chain saws don’t weigh that much. The presumption is in Korea they would make this box to the cheapest of standards and that demands I look closely. Hmmm, 9mm Luger ammo, so this was enough ammo (1,000 rounds) to wear out the barrel. I rather like the look of this. But it is Gunsmoke Tuesday and that takes priority. I did examine the transplanted springs in the dawnlight, the raccoon took a nibble and was not interested.
           The Prez likes granny’s vocals, says they are hard to sing. (If so, my thoughts would be, “why bother”?) Anyway, she has not responded other than to say she was more than impressed by the duo sound, but this has little effect on me because it is designed to be impressive. I follow up every possible lead so who knows? Here is the box for you to see. It has a number of interesting design features. The interior is stapled, the exterior is nailed. The frame shape on the ends serve as carry handles. The flat piece on top is, if you look closely between the planks where I’m pointing, held together by some kind of metal dowel assembly.
           One supposes this box is sturdy enough to withstand some damn rough treatment. The pieces are mass produced, of course, but the fit is very fine considering there are no angle cuts. There was no gap in the lid, that happened while I was handling the wood and no apparent glue. Just visible are two runners under the box, making the bottom the strongest part of the box. I’ve decided to put some hinges on the lid and think of something to keep inside later.

Picture of the day.
Alsace Lorraine, France.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           Welcome to America, this is what 50% inflation overnight looks like. Both same company, same product. The can on the left is 15 ounces, the can on the right 10 ounces. And, due to the ratchet effect, prices rarely go down due to competition. Take eggs, they are $1.06 a dozen, and used to be 94¢. People way, whew, at least they are not $4 a dozen with out thinking they still went up in price by 12.8%. The overall rate of inflation that affects me is 30%. Biden just wiped out a third of my retirement and the libtards still think we should vote him back in.
           Unable to find any problem with the PA system, I will reserve enough cash to replace it. But because of forest arson by climate cucks out west, my latest deposit is not 38 days overdue, and I just got word this upcoming weekend at the soonest. We are okay, but between all that’s gone wrong this week, the mood is not blissful. I repaired the coffee maker, a loose wire. Now, I’m taking two hours off to relax and study. To date, we’ve had the microcontrollers talk to the computer using the IDE (like a small word processor for code, an Independent Development Environment) which I recognize as emulating the computer terminal function.
           Getting two computers to talk is a more interesting challenge for me at this time. Oh, what is it called, hyperterminal or something. I’ve never actually seen it but I’ve read about people doing it. I would like to examine the serial transmission and maybe get familiar with the terms. What’s this? MicroSoft quit hyperterminal after XP. You have to download it. I’ll do the reading first, I’m familiar with ASCII and some of the protocols, all asynchronous. That means each device has its own “clock” and needs to know what and when to react to incoming data. As for outgoing data, sensors are the only part I know much about and they are sending all the time.

           Later in the day, Caltier reports. No wonder they took their time, it’s a disappointing 1/10th of 1%, that is, $13.00. Sure, they may be acquisitioning and all that, but if they don’t say, it’s viewed as underachievement. Tonight we watched Gunsmoke where Kitty actually had an acting role. The episode is some lady (Bette Davis) kidnaps Kitty to get Matt into a shed where he is to hang like her husband six years earlier. The neighbor, who is from that era, says Bette often had this effect on movie scripts and roles—that other women had more active parts. In the end, Kitty shoots the lady.
           Myself, since you asked, hot weather or not, I dealt with shoulder pains, acting up for no reason. That’s why we’re glad I fixed that coffee maker. It’s 90°F out there and I still have the heating pad applied. I have some small electric motors (AC) to test tomorrow and a strong urge to take the whole day off again. Wilford has a computer for sale that replaces this one reasonably well, so I paid him $50. It should be here by tomorrow. In time for me to learn some music I would hardly otherwise spend time on. An outbreak of dengue fever in the east. Also called the bone-breaking disease because that is what it feels like to people who get infected a second time. Mosquito-borne, much like the way Bill Gates wants to spread birth control.

ADDENDUM
           This is a whirlwind on the Martian surface. In Texas they call it a dust devil, and this video reminds me why I hate NASA. We should already be on Mars, living permanently except for their “Shuttle Welfare Program”, designed to keep their own jobs going. Mr. Trump, shoot down that stupid, stupid “International Space Station and send them NASA featherbedders packing.


           My feelings on this blatant case of NASA bureaucratic job preservation is well-known. If not for you, NASA cooked up the space shuttle to keep their jobs when the last they realized in 1972 that moon shots could be cancelled, but a space station flying around in circles with people permanently aboard meant job security. Why innovate and forge ahead when you can sit back and collect a paycheck?

           The program was 1982 – 2012, but set mankind back 40 years because the delay is semi-permanent and all the technology has been lost. America now has 8t million people on outright welfare, a generation who can’t read or tell time on an analog clock, cars that catch fire, and about to collapse in civil war between those who want to be left alone and those who won’t leave them alone. Each President gives some promises to get moving but in reality, since 1980 the welfare system has rotted America to the core.
           Today, I quit smoking twenty years ago. October 3, 2003. Zero withdrawal, as the once I quit before, I just stopped and never thought about it again. The joke is if I live to be 91, I’ll start again because I rather enjoyed smoking. I was the usual pack-a-day after work coffee drinker and smoker, no big deal. Smoking and smoky rooms have no effect on me. Most food tastes the same. And I’m probably $30,000 richer.

Last Laugh