Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Wednesday, October 4, 2023

October 4, 2013

Yesteryear
One year ago today: October 4, 2022, Chooks on the alert.
Five years ago today: October 4, 2018, running A/C cable.
Nine years ago today: October 4, 2014, one less Englishman.
Random years ago today: October 4, 2007, east-west tech support?

           How I love seeing it, two properties in east Nashville drop by $20,000 in one day. They are still $600,000 junk, but let’s hope for a trend. I could care less if property speculators lose their shirts or if people who borrowed to the limit get foreclosed. They are the ones who fuel the bubbles, let them spend cake. Don’t lecture me on ethics, I was born poor. My view of the world is processed through that lens. If the only punishment for their crimes is a fine, that means it is legal for a price. You do know what today is, don’t you? Pet blessing day.
           A Missouri court has affirmed it is okay to ask openly queer people if they have AIDs. Trump is being nominated as Speaker of the House—and oddly powerful position many Americans don’t really understand. (I don’t, fully.) It’s confirmed, this last month Caltier paid a pitifully small return—but have faith. I’ll bet they are up to something, like unloading their least performers. Don’t like ads on your personal space, Meta plans to charge you $14 a month for that peace & quiet.

           I test a batch of electric motors this morning and fixed a doorbell kit. That doorbell retails for $60, I got it for $4 now it’s working fine. It was the solenoid. The gadget is a lesson in simplicity. Two metal bars, the current drags the striker against on, then when the doorbell is released, a spring pulls it back against the other. This picture shows the vitamin E box lid now with a layer of poly finish. I’’ve not yet learned to sand the wood to get rid of various surface defects, for instance the mill marks seen here.
           I bought Wilfords computer for fifty bucks, it has no software, just Win 10, which I do not care for, but hey. He knows a lot about the latest of everything, which is not that great for getting things done. I wish I could corner the guy for some knowledge but, like Agt. R, he always has to be somewhere in a hurry. He reports my phone going direct to voicemail The Reb & JZ said the same, so whe stepped through every menu on my “smart” phone and there is no setting for this feature. It has to be Boost, who else?

           The only thing coming through are the so-called emergency tests. Which continue to tone forever until you read the alert—and let them know you have the phone. The true reason for these “tests” has nothing to do with emergencies. They are tacitly letting you know who is boss. Other have no problems with their phones, so we examined the situation more closely. It’s not like I don’t know how to set a phone and I’m mucking around with the thing. It’s become clear that the phones regularly have the same malfunctions, but they remain minor for a simple reason. Can you guess what it is?
           Usage. I make maybe eight phone calls per month, mostly to one number. Contrast with an XYZer who is on the phone constantly. They know almost immediately when something goes wrong and learn to fix the situation without thinking. That’s the clincher—without thinking. If they are not consciously aware it is a problem, they accept it as normal. The solution is to also wonder around all day with my nose to the phone, but I don’t want to live like that.

Picture of the day.
Oregon’s Proposal Rock.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           A great drive to Punta Gorda, listening to Merle Haggard tunes. I must learn them and I don’t think I’m doing that badly overall. The pet ceremony is now mostly dogs. When I first attended, I was alone carrying pictures, this year almost all non-dog pets were photographs. The atmosphere with so many doggies is a bit much for other animals. It was a nice outing, with the doggies helping sing the hymns. I’ll see what I can do about videos.
           Alaine and Snookie were there, she volunteers with the Church so we don’t have much time to visit. There were around forty dogs of which most were well-behaved. Absent from the event were any people between 10 years and 60 years old. The priest is a strong personality, I did not know he used to own a 2003 Harley, one of the100th anniversary editions. The evening was perfect for this gathering, it is still not officially an annual event. I got on the list for a free gift and it is a doggie bowl and padded leash. Very nice.

           Most of the crowd gathered after for coffee at the pizza shop. Myself, with an aversion to night driving, headed back with an hour of twilight. I don’t trust myself around pizza, anyway. I recognized a few people this year, none of them were Taylor Swift, however. But I tell you one thing, anybody who thinks America is weak and divided should attend something like this. While the libtards may command a few rotten city cores, the rest of the land is solid as it gets. I took side roads back since it did not get dark until I reached Zolfo. I would have stopped at the Limestone if I knew they were open on weekdays.
           One last item, I was on my feet for a record 15 hours today. This is unusual, but except for the driving time I was walking or standing. It’s just one more thing that wasn’t supposed to be so easy. The great news is I did not notice anything. It’s blogged because it’s a far cry from 2006 when I could not walk 130 steps without taking a half-hour rest. I’m thinking of a pair of Moonwalkers. Can’t buy them unless you can walk to begin with, right?

ADDENDUM
           According to the Onion, here are some comments received upon the news that a pair of front-row balcony tickets to Ford Theatre on the night of Lincoln’s assassination just sold at auction for over $250,000.
1) Looks like Lincoln’s assassination wasn’t all for naught.
2) I’ll just wait for the movie version.
3) Most theaters won’t let you in if you’re over 150 years late.
Last Laugh