Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Friday, March 8, 2024

March 8, 2024

Yesteryear
One year ago today: March 8, 2023, 90% of them.
Five years ago today: March 8, 2019, plainly not my best day.
Nine years ago today: March 8, 2015, it's about improving you.
Random years ago today: March 8, 2009, Lo, I am Finkalodeon.

           Welcome to Tennessee. The library has removed all their office apps from the entire array of computers. Seems nobody much uses them, they might as well put in a few rows of televisions for that bunch. This is a record of what happened this morning. Up at 5:00AM because I forgot to se my watch back, the doggies got a reluctant two mile walk before dawn. Poor old Sam, he's got a permanent limp, but he was leading the charge the whole say. Then again, he knows all the paths and which ones lead back to his nice warm blankets.
           It's chilly and that got my shoulders and every other old injuries to slow me down. First stop was supplies that I need. I arrived to find all my good stuff was used up and the only coffee in the house was this concoction. Mushroom coffee. It has a sandy taste, much like the instant coffees when I was quite young and any coffee would do. As soon as I got everything from paper towels to Carnation, I stopped at my old donut shop on Lebanon Pike. A coffee and a ham & cheese croissant now set me back $8.00 Over twice the 2019 price.

           Next, over to the DMV for some paperwork, as once again they tried to convince me I had to give them a phone number. They will insist and you can't insist back, but I have the perfect cover story. It's in this blog somewhere. From that office to Walmart for doggie supplies. Only to find once again all the chicken quarters were sold out. How sad that stockouts have become commonplace in this country. Never in history has a country that lost its lead ever been able to regain it.
           Then off to finish up with my investment banker. If I did not say, Tennessee has become the center of my financials. The outfit I use thinks it most quaint that I do not have a credit card, use only mail-in or personal deposits, and have never taken a penny out of this account. Good, let them write it off as old-fashioned. You can never hide your investments, but you can make then the last thing they can find easily, giving you lead time to clean out your accounts before they do. Yes, I do think the Democrats will get desperate enough to try anything.

Picture of the day.
Eastern Oregon.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           Back home, had a ton of paperwork to catch up on. When the Reb got home, we had tentatively planned on a movie but there was nothing worth spending the $50 on. There was one animation, but she knows I'm not keen on spending that kind of bucks to watch a cartoon. She is a fan of that category, me not so much. We have the big screen, but same as me, she does not watch cable. So I drove up to Wal*Mart and bought an el-cheapo DVD player ($25) and we watch that semi-documentary "Blow".
           This is book a read long ago, about how this son of a plumber started selling pot and soon was flying in planeloads of cocaine from Columbia. Based on a true story, it embellishes things a bit much. The book was from the perspective of the authorities trying to catch him, similar to another druglord named "Dr. Snow", a Jewish dentist who was the east coast kingpin. The stories are so similar I just watched the movie for the good-looking women of the 60s and 70s before today's rot set in.

           Here's what I belive to me dogwood blossoms. They are everywhere in Tennessee and is properly called the Flowering Dogwood. I think the state flower is an iris or something. It's a soggy mild spring, so other than an evening walk on the pavements, it was a quiet Friday at home. We both fell asleep before the movie ended, preceded by the dogs.
           The Reb's arm is healing quite well. They gave her this ultrasound machine that is for stimulating bone growth. I'm not so sure, plus it was $2500. On the trip up, I had the check engine light come on for a few minutes. Getting it read by computer says there is a valve positioning solenoid acting up. My theory is that gadget is there to optimize the cam-shaft operation for that "Eco" setting I don't bother with. The replacement piece is $400 and has to be done by a mechanic.

Last Laugh