Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Wednesday, April 17, 2024

April 17. 2024

Yesteryear
One year ago today: April 17, 2023, another generation.
Five years ago today: April 17, 2019, daffodils barely grew.
Nine years ago today: April 17, 2015, maybe once a year.
Random years ago today: April 17, 2008, no more sausage.

           What’s this, Brazil is wiping the floor with their journalists, as in seizing passports and assets? Something doesn’t tall, few people in America would have any objection to the entire staff at CNN or NYT being run out of town. For that matter, many want the lot to be hanged, so what if the nation loses the 3 or 4 good ones in the process. Silver stays over $28, will this be the one? Millennial marketing, you search on today’s silver prices and the top ten responses are shit. (Sign up here for daily silver prices, sucker, free membership.)
           Here’s the ten million in gold from Hong Kong, disguised by a smuggler as machine parts to avoid the 10% tax. It was a fine effort, but nothing original. Not if you’ve seen some really old “Mission Impossible” reruns over at JZ’s place. YouTube is on another anti-adblock campaign which I hope fails. Why? Because the default Internet should be free. Intrusive advertising should not be allowed. This time it is different, if what they are describing is true, they can now activate sleeper code on your phones. If they do, it serves you right.
           Nor can beginners be informed that metals are a bad first investment. Buying is easy, selling is fraught with hardships and danger. Do not believe sellers who “promise” they will buy back anything they sell you. (Sure, they will. By check, six weeks later, after your ID goes on a watchlist.) In fact, I advise you to not buy and sell at the same place. Stick with gold and silver. Trying to unload even an ounce of palladium will get your name on a watchlist. Never sell more than 100 oz of anything at once. Buy my book on investing if I ever get it written.

           How [without advertising] will they make money? Easy, go get a job. Seriously, there should be either a separate youTube for people who want to watch ads or catalog shopping only for those who want to see it. And as you know, I do not approve of statistics that presume every last person who views something without watching the commercials is a lost customer. I purposely do not purchase products that use intrusive advertising and I believe there are millions like me. Advertise all you want—elsewhere. How about PETA holding that big anti-red meat protest in Wyoming. Nobody showed up. Did you know most Hindus are unaware that Christians are allowed to read the Bible for themselves?
           The one that’s tough to judge nowadays is the on-line “sexploitation” scams. This is where boys are blackmailed after being conned into exposing their privates. To me, anybody stupid enough to do that are the same stupid grunts who laugh when old people are taken by telemarket operators. If you are that retarded to start with, you deserve to be taken for all you got. It’s how the roughly bottom half of Amercan society ever learns their lessons.

           Something new, canned meat from Lithuania. At the Russian market, I found a can of buckwheat. Always interested in products that wiill keep, I opened it today it was a mixtrure of ground pork and buckwheat. Cooked to perfection, I instantly tagged it “K-rations”, it would make excellent survival fare. If you ignore the price tag, that is, four bucks a tin. The receipt said “tushenka”. This morning found me still flagged, I crawled back into the sack until late afternoon. I highly recommend it, after you fill the birdfeeders, that is.
           Beepers are back in the news. A few smart people spot the advantages over a smart phone, but rest assured some millennial will turn it into a $500 device that accepts spam. The article, from the Pessimist’s Archive accurately recounts the “beeper scare”. At the time, most people knew it was not a took of the drug trade, but the loosening of society did let it cause an upsurge in early teen prostitution. I had one for years after cell phones arrived, they could not be traced.

Picture of the day.
The staff at Tucows.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           This will not do, another day down the drain. The warmer damp Miami weather is sauna-like for the shoulders. Back here, it’s a disadvantage when there is work to do; I’ll get working anyway. Tampa radio, millennials are now being advised to never say the word “yes” on their phones, another indication the world they built for themselves is only beginning to come back and bite them in the ass. Here’s what I got done this afternoon. I finished cutting and installing a large temporary shelf in the red shed lean-to. This is storage for the boxes of tubes not yet sorted. It frees up space in the kitchen.
           What took time was carrying all 30 or so boxes out there two by two, and I still have a pile of the WIP boxes in my bedroom office. Unable to work more than five minutes at a time now that I’me favoring my back. The labor part was around three hours today, walking to and fro past the papaya tree. You know, if I had some type of small wire basket on the end of a pole, I saw JZ harvest mangoes that grew in a very similar fashion. Not today, by 7:00PM I was bushed.

           Opting to not stray far from the coffee pot, I watched such documentaries as I found interesting. One was from Business Insider by this single mother who only dates men are not fathers. It seems the ones with children are sub-par and can’t devote their lives to raising her two sons. In other words, it is okay when she does it, but not you. She also wants a man who both works full time yet stays at home so she does not have to do “the lion’s share” of raising the kids. She’s not gonna make it, is she?
           Usually I don’t bother with youTube unless I find an adequate ad-blocker. And it has been a while. Today I ran some searches and has that platform ever gone downhill. Around 80% of the results were not videos, but animations, and no way to filter them out. Even the best productions were sub-par. You ask for a documentary on Rommel and you get a cartoon. Way to go there, XYZers. Now your history is as plastic as your lifestyles.
           My search for ad blockers was spurred by rumors encountered last week that youTube was again on a purge. No kidding, they burned right through my ad blockers. It’s like they not only want to force their poop medicine on you, they want to make up for lost time. I’ve tried everything I know and the ads remain, for now I mean. Forget AdBlocker with its fake “free” extention. It’s only free after you pay for it, yay millennials, truth and honesty mean zip to the entitled.

           [Author’s note: that last comment has a precedent that I’ll publish if I ever find the paperwork. In the 80s, around two years after starting my chosen career, over a period of weeks I wrote out my reasons for not socializing with my new co-workers. This was my first “civilized” job, prior to that I had worked in mills and factories and forestry camps. And I was unprepared for what today would be called the “entitlment” bunch.
           I was a novice at the game with no experience at office politics. But I was quick to notice the way that others around me talked about the job. When you work in a crew, you’d best not consider anything your right. Where I saw that paycheck as my barrier against cold and hunger, I was surrounded by people who’s main concerns were whether it paid enough for cable TV, a riding lawnmower, and a brand new car every three years. And they behaved accordingly.
           These people voting themselves $20 an hour and voting away their student loans are no surprise to me. They will get theirs.]


ADDENDUM
           unmarried couples on a yacht, I would have to be suspicious that the man disappeared. But the best line is about the navigation using “only” a sextant and a watch. It’s like nobody ever told the morons of the universe that is how it is done. For her next trick she crossed the pond using only a canoe and a paddle. But what one could really wonder about is how anybody on a yacht in 1983 could possibly be “caught” by a hurricane. You know, taken totally by surprise. I read the papers, I mean, and she isn’t reallythat good-looking. Then again, I’ve noticed lots of rich guys with girfriends you just know they are stuck with.
           Seems somebody wants to make a movie out of it. Just don’t expect me to have much sympathy for anybody who has the money to sail around obliviously in the empty ocean southwest of California. I got ten bucks says there is no way they earned the money to do that, and my take on income taxes is it is the earning that is being taxed, not the income.

           Mental illness makes the news again. Around 1960, the USA closed the mental hospitals. Cruel, said the virtue signallers, let’s scream about the patients and forget what happens to others in society when they are let out. You can surmise I have an opinion on this. I say there are different brands of craziness. And the one the taxpayer should not be funding is anything hereditary. Fund them all you want, but don’t force your neighbor to do it. This is pretty consistent with my take on similar situations. In Nature, the ones who don’t fit are taken out of the equation and that process should not be messed with.
           This time around, I see the game plan. Homeless people. If you can classify them as mental, that’s a huge voting block. Folks, it was only in the 1940-1990 era that large swathes of Americans became homeowners, and if forced house prices through the roof. Prior to that, most people did not own a house and millions of people paid room and board. What’s more, they got bey without going on welfare. America has no shortage of AOLs who will bellow about the rights of a minority while ignoring the plight of the less-visible public who they force to pay for it. Look at abortion. I’m not for or against it, that is not my decision to make. But nor should I be compelled to pay for it.

           It is unlikely I’d budge on the issue when any defect is hereditary. Thus, families who produce crazy should be held fully responsible for the consequences because dumping the problem on society is a woeful disregard for the safety and hard work of others. It’s the scenario where I don’t have the solutions, but I know which solutions are unfair to people who are in no way at fault. Help anybody you want, the real problem is trying to force it on others. Say, you know who else is back in the news? Miss Moneypenny, from the 007 movies. Now over 80, she is being ragged on for ancient movie scenes with minors. Her lasting good looks are probably all the explanation needed for that.

Last Laugh