Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Friday, June 14, 2024

June 14, 2024

Yesteryear
One year ago today: June 14, 2023, ond bluejay is okay . . . .
Five years ago today: June 14, 2019, he’s got that flash.
Nine years ago today: June 14, 2015, I’ve always hated taxi laws.
Random years ago today: June 14, 2018, I still have the cart.

           What’s that aroma? It’s onions and tomatoes frying in garlic and ginger. It’s almost Middle Eastern, I’m making up a base for fried rice at suppertime. Ginger reminds me of Lebanese food, JZ will dip sliced ginger in sugar and call it candy. I’ve no room to talk, to me onions are just as much a vegetable as carrots. Food is the exciting event, it’s nothing Friday when you got no gig. When you are successfully retired long enough, the days of the week have only two names. “The weekend”, and “Not the weekend”.
           It was in June 62 years ago I figured out the I-IV-V progression on a piano. I knew nothing of the Blues and had not yet thought of forming a band. I never went though the phase of wanting to join one because there were none to join. I then figured out how to play fourths all the way up the scale till you came back to the start. When I started thinking of a band two years later, I only knew of two bands, both from radio. The Beatles and the Archies. I did not know there were other bands or if such music could be played, but I knew I was getting the hell out of where I was.

           see, the big doggie got into something and was off to the vet with an infection. There’s another aroma in the air, around the whole neighborhood, somebody is burning plastic. It’s pretty bad, but there is nobody from the city around. That’s only if you try to paint your fence without a permit. Trump has again stated he’ll abolish the IRS, and all the naysayers are in a flap, saying the IRS is too big and too entrenched. They are spouting off, because nobody as ever really tried. The analogy is Rittenhouse, the kid who shot three Democrats. They are sill bleating about it years later—the very horror that somebody could fight back scares the daylights out of them because it reveals how fragile they really are. They rely on you giving up easy.

           I have no picture today that makes the grade, so here is a Russian gal who claims to have invented a method to tell if boobs are fake or not. If you send her money, she will tell you. Her name? I didn’t get it, but all Russian scam artists are named Svetlana. I’m sure of it. Soon as I saw she was Russian, I sent a copy to Bryne. I swear, that boy takes old car motors apart, cleans them with silk hankies, and puts them back together because he can. This is what happens when you move to Texas. You know tomorrow is Apple Sunday, third Sunday of the month. I can eat anything I want and that $10 Mexican hamburger is beckoning, yes it is. I’ll let you know.

Picture of the day.
Know your pool table.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           Three’s a charm, the rain missed my cabin again and we have the lower half of the shed wall framed in. A light sprinkle got me measuring some way to store and present the loose tubes. They are a hodgepodge but I’ll key in one batch to wee if that reveals any gems or if not, some pattern I can sell in bulk. Once more I notice the lack of organization in the competition. They seem to use a lot of guesswork. I’ve learned some groupings don’t “fit” together, for example I would separate out all the rectifiers to sell as a batch. Here’s my largest batch sale to day, four RCA amp tubes, $76.
           I can also sort them by wholesale price. Looking up a gem (the term I now use for an expensive tube) I’ll sometimes find them offered in a batch of $3 specials. Am I up against people who have never even checked what they are selling is worth. If so, I’ll consider maximizing my offers by sorting the tubes by price, that is, all the $3 specials in a carton of say, 50. Not one would get past me. I would never have imagined working these tubes without a database, yet I appear to be up against people who do not seem to even understand sorting. Sorting was one of the first topics covered in computer science in my day.
           This would be consistent with other coding and procedural errors that are surfacing as I begin to do business with this generation. Amazing, was my first reaction. These are people who think they are coming up with original ideas and new material never suspecting that a large reason for the invention of computers was to prevent the things they are doing. Not a clue, they do not have a clue.

           So I drove into Bartow to the old club, a good move because they had that old guy band of excellent 1960s types who play the standards to a tee. CCR and Skynyrd, that’s the meow. The only band in the vicinity older than me. A five-piece, shoe-horned into the same space that crowded my duo when we had an extra. I find it amusing to see 45-y.o. groupies, as it’s a contradiction of terms. (Groupie’s grandmothers, maybe.) It really picked up for an hour by 9:30PM, but quickly faded thereafter.
           There was just the one babe present, and she was taken, so I took to scribbling in my scribbler. You know, I’m beginning to sense a connection between the allure of tube guitar amps and the way these tubes were built. Often I’ll glance at the data sheet or reviews to pick up any phrases to perk my sales, and there is a pattern I can just make out. Over time, without knowing how to read the graphs, you can sense which are good. Most of the tubes do the same four things. There was massive collaboration and I would now bet the industry spent a fortune gering up for television. And part of television was the audio.
           That’s where the tubes I see come in. They are all radio frequency, manufactured for television audio. Sometimes a tube will be touted as specially designed for guitar amps, but glance at the chart—all are radio tubes, I’ve not yet seen an exception. And a lot of the earlyTVs had great sound, with built in turntables and stereo, they called them entertainment centers. I’m tempted to wire up some of these tubes but the club limit is 9 volt dry cell. These tubes are rated at 300V. The most expensive tubes are the full wave rectifiers that take house A/C and output DC. This is not as convenient as it sounds, the DC always has a “ripple” that eventually wears out your equipment.

ADDENDUM
           Here’s the phrase from 2019 that defies all decoding. I got impatient and ran it through over 40 on-line decoders. Nothing.this relates back to my mention yesterday that simple codes may soon be back in vogue because XYZers cannot only not read them, their decoders can’t either. That’s an important issue. I’m going to have an old school shot at cracking this code using common sense. Here is the phrase and a bit of my thinking.

NUEJTVOFV BK ZEJVQ . BUMEQWYSBEU BK TBAVQYSBUF – NEMB YUUYU.

           Okay, that BK may not be “is”. Earlier it threw me because the second last word could be a name, which could end with an “i”. The double letters in the last word will eliminate some dead ends. The fourth word ends with that same letter. If the U is an E, the last word seems to have no common surname, maybe it is not the author’s name, but a snappy conclusion to the phrase. We know it is a substitution code, so which letters the B cannot represent because we know the phrase is English. But is still could be an D, E, F, H, I, K, M, N, O, R, S, T, W, X , or Y. See that? It could be a word like “ow”, “hi”, “ok”, or “ax”.
           We know also it is likely to be a quotation because it was printed in a puzzle booklet. All standard methods have failed so time to look at the relationship between the words.

           In keeping with my assertion that I experience Internet dead-ends far more often then others—and for the opposite reason, here is a screwdriver thing from one of the tube boxes. It must have fell in there, because I took half a small rainstorm to look it up. Bearing only the stamped number 1253B, I determined this is a special slot screwdriver for placing tiny screws in deep slots. It has cutting flanges to make the hole bigger. The brand appears to be “Quick Wedge” and a glance at the single on-line mention of this prices them at $30 minimum per screwdriver. I found this single ad in a 1953 Popular Mechanics history site.
           It took very close examination to see this tool has a tiny split in the blade. It is meant for slot screws only, the blade tip is in two pieces, cut along the top. You slide a shank forward from the handle, if you look close you can make out the part, and it squeezed the blade together. You then position your screw and slide the shank back. The two halves of the blade spring apart and hold your screw until you get it started. But you will quickly ruin this delicate tip if you try to drive the screw home. Here’s the only video I could find, skip to the one minute mark. If I get ambitious, I have try to get a photo of the way the blade is split.

           Later. The code is cracked, I used the old standby method, eliminating what the code could not say. What took time was the confusing last name, ANNAN. Never heard of KOFI ANNAN, a Morgan Freeman lookalike who, from this quote, rather likes to piece together other people’s clauses as he came up with:

KNOWLEDGE IS POWER, INFORMATION IS LIBERATING. -- KOFI ANNAN

           Did you know people like ANNAN get Nobel Prizes for this nonsense?

Last Laugh

           x margin-bottom: 1em; margin-right: 1em; margin-top: 1em; margin-left: 1em;