Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Saturday, June 22, 2024

June 22, 2024

Yesteryear
One year ago today: June 22, 2023, the hardest part.
Five years ago today: June 22, 2019, the marble.
Nine years ago today: June 22, 2015, Alabama Jack’s.
Random years ago today: June 22, 2007, we played Jimbo’s.

           Happy Barbarossa Day. That’s a joke that has made the rounds, but there is an emerging meaning to it. Contemporary feeling is that the German invasion of the Soviet Union in 1941 was not motivated by what we’ve been told. For years, propaganda has it Hitler was a fanatical racist, which is a viewpoint that gets crazier over time. He was anti-communist, but so are most people. I doubt a communist regime has ever legitimately taken power by popular consent. But that’s another story for another time, I’m busy fixing that porch door.
           And it is too rotten to be fixed. I did put in a new jamb and cut away the rotted portions. I replaced it to look a match, the second door does not work. If someone wants to open it, the tools are in the shed and Home Depot if just a five minute drive. This morning’s thrill picture is JeePee’s fan mail. Can you see him just right of center at the top of tee photo? That’s his shell as I tried to get the best angle for this shot.

           See that, Ken Sanchuk, I know a turtle that gets more fan mail than you do. Yep, Ken, who thought it incredulously stupid that I did not watch TV. How, he wondered, did I ever learn what is going on in the world? He and those who watch it, I suppose, are ready to save the world. Nor did he have any hobbies and he was terrible at finding quality women. That’s odd for a salesman, you know, the gift of gab. He had it, I had it, but the types of women we met were, to put it kindly, quite opposite. Like the difference between “wow” and “yuck”.
           But one thing I do have in common with most guys is the difficulty finding the good ones. Let’s just say I don’t leave it as much to luck as they do, and when the rare occasion presents itself, I have something to offer in return. I still have the rule that in most areas of compatibility, I avoid ever expecting in a woman anything that I don’t have to offer in return. Hey, that’s why I don’t like people who utter that trite phrase about your standards being too high. It was four hours in the sun, with JeePee in the playpen again. The rule is I always forget something on these trips and this time I don’t have an electric drill. Nor any of my casual shirts. Too bad, those were ready near the door [in Florida] and I still forgot them.

Picture of the day.
Highest quality Japanese whiskey.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           Soon as some afternoon shade appeared, I decided to fix the shed door before fixing the porch door. Simple, you can’t fix nothing if all your tools and hardware get nicked. One again, no help, so I’m glad I left a pair of clamps in the shed. Something has to hold up the other end of the board. I wound up staying busy until 9:00PM, well past dark. What took so long, and I admit it, is every time I had to get down on the ground to do anything, like drive a screw, I had a heck of a time getting up again. Much more than usual. Not age, but a similar weakness to 2003-2006 while recovering.
           It’s done, in the end I repositioned both doors. Then I went over to Old Hickory for a couple cold beers. The price in a saloon these day in Tennessee if $5.50 per bottle. That’s over 36 times the price I paid for my first bottle on my 18th birthday.


Video has sound.

           This video is out of sequence, I think it was taken tomorrow, or the next day. This is the pub, called Shooters, and this video was taken without permission, etc. Oddly, there is nothing illegal about it, because pubs are deemed public places in America. The most danger comes from any of the footage going viral and you getting sued for a share. Anyway, always keep it low-key. And trust me, the week-day patrons at Shooters definitely qualify as low-key.

Last Laugh