Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Sunday, June 23, 2024

June 23, 2023

Yesteryear
One year ago today: June 23, 2023, I love my compressor.
Five years ago today: June 23, 2019, roadways never work.
Nine years ago today: June 23, 2015, immigration as a charity.
Random years ago today: June 23, 2008, 3/8”.

           If you spot a mixup in the postings, the explanation is simple. The power went out in the library a half-hour before closing time and all my screens were active. Some, like my e-mail (protonmail) behave properly and drop every link that goes dead, others like Google, leave you logged on knowing damn well that is a severe security breach. Google relies on dunces who think they are safe because nothing has happened to them yet. I kept quiet until noon [others sleep that late], then fired up the compressor and the saw, once again fixing the shed. This picture is the big doggie and his eye/ear meds. Before you give a big boy like that things in the eye or the ear, I suggest you kind of make friends with him first.
           Hot or what, the big doggie, the turtle and I spent seven hours in that back yard. Alas, old Sammy is not up to much other than snoozing and he is suffering, I think, from hallucinations. He howls like hound dog and things that are not there and is definitely going somewhat deaf. I took them on a walk around the library grounds but he wants to stay on the sidewalks and is not getting much benefit from being outside any more. He just wants back home into the A/C and his favorite pillow upstairs. I sometimes feel the same.

Picture of the day.
Somewhere in Switzerland.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           Eventually, I took the sawzall and cut out all the rotten or dry lumber from one of the doors on the porch. Then I fastened it securely as I thought it would get to. No way that door opens anymore unless somebody ambitious frames a whole new piece. Because I have nothing more, here is a picture of JeePee snoozing in the heat. He's a fan of cool rocks on days like this and this one seems a favorite. Next to his private wading poo.
           I'm stuck on some non-fuctioning equipment at the local library. I'll wait another 10 minutes before quitting. Here's the news that interests me. The library has blocked all but the pro-Biden news feeds, posting a message the computers are to be used for research only. (Tough luck if you are researching anything they don't like.) I naturally disagree on many counts, one being that the computers do not belong to the people at the library, so they can bugger off. Another is that I would intellectually object to any civil servant telling people what they may or may not look at. Gab and Bitchute are blocked for "hate speech", or so they say.

           Car dealerships, hit with cyber attacks, revert to manual order processing. Only to find almost nobody has the brains to do the job any more. I'm reminded of that story about Captain Cook and the stone axes. I left the phone company partly because they embarked on a similar computer approach, where the people troubleshooting the lines no longer had any idea how to relate the printouts to the physical problem. A poll of Democrat voters reveals they are terrified Biden will fck himself on Thursday. Rumor has it they have outfitted an airplane hanger with a mockup of the debate set and are round the clock coaching Biden on what to say. They'd be wiser having him memorized some good defense catch-phrases. If he tries to go up again Trump with talking points, he might as well crap his drawers already.
           China blows up 15 condos while Boeing Starliner makes it to ISS, bragging "nothing blew up", indicating with today's engineers, they expect it. Mind you don't go dancing in the streets, the hullabaloo ove a successful launch could be a cover for other problems.
           Okay, later, here is regular blog material, on-line. Most of what you read here is not composed on-line, but word-processed and then pasted. It's not like I don't trust Google, ha-ha. Today I viewed a number of A.I. products that are used to generate movie scenes. Yep, it will put people out of work. The movies have a slight eeriness to them but if they have come this far, they will soon overcome that. I can see the demand, the movie industry was ripe for something like this. It was getting insanely expensive to produce movies, in particular special effects. It doesn't take much research to see how this situation as spurred so many innovations lately. If you make it too pricey, somebody will find a way to get around you. I watched a short video produced as an intro a movie about a western town in the 1850s. While a few glitches were noted, the reality is that single item probably saved the producers a million bucks.

           If you look closely over the past 50 years, there is a pattern to success and it does not leave room for slowpokes. This A.I., if all it does is save money on movie sets, will pave the way for more A.I. In my opinion, too many millennials have skipped learning the trade. I suspected this whn I first saw a GPS unit and the end was always trouble. I could write a chapter on this brand of shortcuts. Why learn to spell any more? Why learn to tell time? The library computer is down and nobody has the smarts to fix it because what is wrong is not one of the menu options. BWAAAAA-ha-ha-ha-ha.
Last Laugh