Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Saturday, June 8, 2024

June 8, 2024

Yesteryear
One year ago today: June 8, 2023, $974.87.
Five years ago today: June 8, 2019, turtle with clean sheets.
Nine years ago today: June 8, 2015, click to find out why.
Random years ago today: June 8, 2017, a generic day.

           Another two hours entering tubes, I know there is some kind of limit before you pay more. That would be eBay, putting a count limit, unable to differentiate between toothpicks and yachts, one limit for all. The more I deal with millennials, the more I understand about the world they have created for themselves, where they think they can vote the crops to grow. When I consider the speaking, writing, math, social, and intellectual resources of this bunch, it makes sense to me why they think the world is flat and the Moon landing was faked. They cannot comprehend, they must not comprehend otherwise, or they’ll collapse to a cringing mass. I know all the symptoms, I grew up with such people.
           This morning we address the problem how to speed up data entry. One factor is my relatively slow Internet connection. It’s suitable for what I do, but over time sites like eBay place increading demand on the bandwidth. For example, if I do a search on an already posted item, there is a lot of dead time, same after hitting the enter key. Since I have the listings completed for the smaller tubes and I know I can take around 60 pictures per hour, I know where there is free bandwidth for the asking. The library. I’ve used them for similar tasks and it is four times faster.
           You can’t read these signs but I hate them, so do most Americans. They are at a highway rest stop, paid for with public money. But you can’t park there unless it’s an EV, pool, or gimpmobile. They care so much about everybody and everything—except you.

           If eBay has any limits, I will ignore them unless they block inventory entry. I estimate there are 2,000 tubes. Let’s imagine sales are a function of what’s on display. There must be a balance there, a critical mass that then requires only replacement of what gets sold. Can we home that is 2,000 tubes or less? I also have a crappy camera that takes at least ten seconds for each shot.
           The Legion texted back confirming the show tomorrow and asking for our business card. Great, I don’t have any. I dug up some old blanks and printed up a few, billing us what we are, a lite country duo “for fans of Johnny, Merle, and Hank”. That covers every important base. Now to find my three books of printed lyrics and make one that matches our set. It’s too expensive to print them up new like I used to.

           The birds had the fountain on all day, plainly a welcome treat. I did some research into why the British had such difficulties in North Africa despite vastly outnumbering the Germans. Again, it was technical details of the equipment and training, plus morale. Germany recognized early than empires cost as much as they contributed and the British had been fighting small but continuous wars for centuries. This sort of uses up a lot of a nation’s enthusiasm for dying in far-away lands for dubious ends. It was also the first time the British pitted their Matilda against the German 88 now ready for them.
           Other Brit tanks ahd been caught in France and outside Tobruk, but wrote these off as chance encounters against desperate Germans. The Germans learned to lure enemy attacks onto dug in 88’s, which first took place at “Hellfire Pass”. The 88 was not ideal, it had a low profile and when used with the barrel near horizontal, some poor German guy had to lift the 40 pound shell up to shoulder height about ten times per minute. Time after time, the Germans waited until the British were less than a mile away and took out their tanks by the score. Of the 200 tanks the Allies used, around 98 were knocked out in a few days.
           Now you be extra careful after the 88 has fired a few rounds. In the desert heat, the barrel and mountings don’t get much chance to cool down between rounds. All this damage, by the way, was accomplished by about 400 German soldiers. The British tanks were so bad, when the war in North Africa was over, they left them behind.

Picture of the day.
Almost the entire Fijian army.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           This afternoon is time off. I had a few choices, including going for another van trip or maybe that movie theater we found Lakeland. CMX, that’s the outfit and I said nope after viewing their listings. Another undead movie, another Jesus theme, and yet another Planet of the Apes who now act like Apaches. Disney is scraping the bottom of the barrel. I decided on a cheeseburger. That’s right, I missed last Apple Sunday. You know that Latino market on 17th? They have a burger (price is now $9.62) combo. It’s air conditioned and the cafĂ© area plays old-timey Mexican music. The locals each there, mostly the workers from the orange juice factory.
           I’m back home, stuffed, and ready for a big siesta. There is a delay with my tube boxes, I mentioned the Dollar Tree doesn’t have the ones that work right. Turns out they have a lot of empty shelf space because the trucks are not arriving. I found out they declined a truckload a few weeks back and not themselves on a blacklist.

           As soon as some afternoon shade appeared, I had my bass on the shop bench. It has had a slight open circuit somewhere I cannot find. I’ve tested every junction over and over until I think I found something. (By then it was 9:40PM so it will have to wait.) When the assembly is tested, then placed back into the cavity that houses the volume and tone knobs, there is a spot where the wiring touches the wood in the instrument body. I had to remove the back plate to get at this angle, hoping I’ve not thrown something else off in the process. I don’t like removing protective plates, when it comes to musical instruments, they are made tough for a reason.

           At the same time, I had to load speakers and gear into the van. We need this show to look good. This sweaty work didn’t go easy but I left the shop A/C on full blast for the hour to get it within working conditions inside. Alas, the cooling could not keep up. I sweated it out and examined and tested each solder joint. I’m going hit each with a drop of silver solder but tomorrow in the morning. I can’t be dripping perspiration on this brand of work. I plan to slightly bend each metal flange very slightly into each assembly, away from the sides of the guitar body. That’s if I can get in there with needle-nose pliers, I think I have a pair just small enough.

Last Laugh