Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Thursday, July 18, 2024

July 18, 2024

Yesteryear
One year ago today: July 18, 2023, only weeds grow here.
Five years ago today: July 18, 2019, model TR45.
Nine years ago today: July 18, 2015, proof of funds nonsense.
Random years ago today: July 18, 2008, that monster fig tree.

           You can stick around today to see if things pick up, but I’ve got to work on the tube shed. It’s inventory concerns. I now have a better idea of how the sorted tubes need to be stored and the shed also has to be made comfortable. Much of the finished boxes are stacked in my back room in the house and I want to reclaim that space. Thus, I need 32 more feet of shelving. I’m planning on the space to be used for other stock once I get too old do other work. I have no intention of wasting away in the nursing homes, though I would have no objection to a live-in maid. But, if I live that long, I have at least a 20 year buffer zone to think it over.
           This kind of kills a day for me and I’m already behind schedule. I sent a note to Valdosta to check if Tonio is back on the road. That guy needs a new wrecker (flat bed tow truck) that will make a trip like this and I was quick to note when he opened the hood, all the belts and hoses were expertly maintained. Back to these tubes. The only practical way to store them is in a single layer (like toothpicks) and they take up a larger footprint in that format. I told you today would not be exciting.
           While the tubes are hardy, not so the little boxes they come in. The sheds are dry inside (mostly) but you can’t do much about dampness, and most of those boxes have deteriorated. I will take no chances, One effort that works well is lining the interior with cardboard before any finishing materials. This is in addition to any vapor barrier, but it isn’t as easy as it sounds and it can make the studs harder to find. I also have to extend the roofing over the area where the big old tree came down. Add a couple hours for that. Add a couple hours for that. Here is what the framed wall looks like.

           I may consider another tool to add to my generally underused set. A pneumatic brad nailer. My electric is lite duty and I learned to like the DeWalt up in Tennessee. When I discovered the top of the line model is only $114, that puts it into the possible. Given the time today, I will build a stand for my shadow box that does not have to sit on top of my counter. I’m already out of space. Later, I put in four hours and didn’t get far, except I was in the shade and kept at it well past noon.
           How are my birdies doing? They missed me, I can still summon them with my secret whistle. I have chosen not to tame them I tip the birdbath when away to avoid mosquitoes, it is now back in operation and the red cardinals love it. The mice somehow scaled the cupboard while I was away and got most of the gourmet bird seed. I also had a go at starting the Honda mower, which worked find in Tennessee. That is not a chore summer daytime in Florida. I’ll get that no matter what. I cataloged another 50 tubes, but none turned out worth more than $8. The cutoff price for profit is around $12, that is, less than that isn’t cost-effective, but it is still cash flow.

           Here’s one for you. The A/C in the Hyundai is the standard package. However, the interior of the van is smaller. In the KIA, you have to run both to keep the front cool, while the Hyundai is just right. I have to load up the music gear from one van to the other, wish I’d remembered that this morning.

Picture of the day.
Dallas air show moment.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           Rehearsal was held at 2:00PM, the hottest part of the day. I’m auditioning singing drummers on a casual level. It has to be a perfect match or no-go. This is the winning formual, have a small core band that can gig without help. This puts you in the driver’s seat and you get fist pick of what is out there. If you have never formed a band, let me tell you it is a headache and the way to minimize it is follow what I’ve done. Get a working duo. This telegraphs to the rest of the band they are automatically outvoted and their opinions (of which you will experience many) are permanently secondary. If that sounds unfair, feel free to try it your way. This picture is an early Harley Davidson, from Valdosta. It looks in running order. I could not match it up to any pics on-line, if you find something leave a comment.
           The guy this week is Jack, from Winter Haven. With drummers, nothing is as it seems. He will not say if he can sing, but often this is because they don’t think they are good enough. Always talk logistics first, do they have a vehicle? A day job? And one big plus for a drummer is having a place to practice. The drum kit is always unwieldy both for gigs and practice. I can audition these guys with the bass only, which really sorts out the wannabes. I’ll be watching carefully for any reason a musician I’ve never heard of before suddenly starts advertising for a working band, which is the case with Jack.

           Asking around, Jack lost his license three weeks ago. I half met the guy and it is coming beck to me, he used to jam at the Chain. He follows the band rather than setting the beat, but he knows everybody in town. I’m talking to soon, I’m not yet sure it is the same guy. The Prez and I ran shorts on our list. This means play the intro, verse-chorus, instrumental, and the outro. We put in our time over the past 11 months so it went smooth, in some spots better because we’ve learned to fill any lapses by playing some characteristic riff or fill in most songs.
           Then a stop at the Kava bar, I wish I could have staying in that A/C but I had a bank appointment. I’m not happy to say the bank was within their rights. It is in the fine print on this type of account. The minimum opening balance must be maintained unless you have overdraft, called a LCB, for “latent check buffer” or something. But I didn’t know because I don’t write checks. Still, I think they should have made an exception and just charged me any fees, which is what it is really all about. I got the money today and the Hyundai is mine. Now let’s see if we can live on $329 for the rest of the month.

           Later, it was not an encouraging evening. It’s social matters that in a small town can baffle. Any club around here would be glad for free entertainment, but when I approached the Legion over on the highway, they said call back tomorrow. (But, but, we want to play tomorrow.) Then I went downtown and saw a professional comedy show, we are talking Las Vegas grade. This does not make sense. The people were from Daytona, a 3-1/2 hour drive from here. I’ve already decided July has not been my month, but I cannot compete with anything to the degree I’ve been hit with even this week.

ADDENDUM
           For you budding conspiracy theorists, nobody know why CNN was livestreaming this Trump rally. They never did that before. CNN went on the air asking if the shooter had a gun. Dozens of videos are streaming of the shooter slithering up the roof. None of the security team “responders” at any level in the Trump assassination were wearing the regulation body cameras. The “lone gunman” had three encrypted overseas cell phone accounts. Biden warned on the 16th that if Trump wins, he wants “to persecute political enemies”. Now where did he get an idea like that?
           There are unconfirmed rumors that FJB will quit this weekend. What an embarrassing circus that whole administration was. Stepping down now is an admission of guilt. They lied themselves into a corner, because the current VP has a 1% approval rating and that will drop significantly if she goes through with the debate with Trump’s VP pic, that Vance guy.

Last Laugh