Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Sunday, September 13, 2026

September 13, 2026

Yesteryear
One year ago today: September 13, 2025, it’s my presentation.
Five years ago today: September 13, 2021, tummy aches . . .
Nine years ago today: September 13, 2017, watch-out list, guys.
Random years ago today: September 13,2008, I like chewy.
>

           Scrambled eggs and Arduino, the Florida treat for good behavior. I had it on the brain, so I had to crank out the code. It worked first time, if anyone thinks it is easy, try it. The video shows the pin test, but no the “Morse” blink that identifies the program. Why? Because it worked too well. The commands will obey in the setup section, the real test here But, they happen at their own speed, which is too fast for the camera. I suspect the delay command, which stops the processor, has no effect in this part of the code.
           But there you have it, GenX, code that needs no debugging. I really does exist. What the working model would do is turn on and flash the Morse signal one time, then switch to the blue LEDs shown here stepping through six of pins. There are workarounds, for example I pause the Morse by letting the processor count to 5,000 just to slow it down. How was your Sunday morning?

           Then I felt like following up on this code. So I sat here with coffee for the next six hours. Nothing worked. I think that is because the setup mode is rigged to execute as rapidly as possible and ignores all pause commands. I did get it to count to 32,768, but nothing. By mid-afternoon I’m tired so I stopped.            Except, I could not stop. I tried every possible combination in the setup, then pasted the code into the loop to proof it. Funny, it works, but the LED is very dim. I rechecked the code in case I was on a PWM pin, I corrected two non-critical logic errors (one of which should have stopped the compiler but did not), and even rewired the LED to the power ground. So we know it is not the code, rather some idiosyncrasy in the hardware.
           Tampa radio has plenty to say about Trump’s meetings these days. It’s zany-funny because their old antics are not working but it’s all they’ve got. Publishing fake headlines about Trump’s popularity when he’s a rock star everywhere he shows up. Even their specialty, fake polls, is failing them. The Democrats are entering the mid-terms with no agenda or platform except “get Trump”, vote against everything and the impeachment threats have started up again. They better pull something together fast.
           Things could not be worse for them if Trump had planned this all himself. The fakest poll is where they claim immigration is good because the White birth rate is rising again. That’s what happens when you reclassify all immigrants as White. And California is pushing on-line censorship and tracking under the guise of child safety. Crap like a message warning if you’ve been on-line longer than three hours, but they are okay with TV. They want “addictive” sites to require parental consent.
I read the first twenty proposals which have one theme in common. Tight government control of the media. Media’s what is costing the Party the most and what is losing them elections. They still control the mainstream, but there are too many other sources nowadays.

Picture of the day.
Starc machine.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           Later, I went over the code in such detail that I could have written it again. So, in frustration, I did. I keyed in the entire 3,200 bytes (exactly). Now it works. Ever time the reset button is pushed, the red LED flashes Dash-Dot-Dot-Dot, then the blue LEDs test the pins. Success? Not quite. I had to relocate the red LED because pin 13 twinkles by itself when code is uploading, so I switched to pin 12 and the LED remains very time, for which I have no explanation. But this tells you why I don’t code for a living. Doing it right takes so much brain-thrust you are physically tired at the end.
           And, that 3,200 bytes is a bottleneck. At this moment, every flash is hard-coded and should be placed in a for-loop. That will have to wait until I find out why the LED isn’t full bright. I tend to fall into programming mode and that brings back the A.I. concept. It can be made to work using an array. The sprite (small moving screen icon) has to be a single red LED. The first thing you learn owning an Arduino is flashing an LED is about the only damn thing it can do without a separate power supply for your apparatus. There is no warning sticker.

           Falling asleep in the chair again, I got up too late, another rare day I did not go outside. I read some history, in this case the American army fighting Cornwallis during the revolution. It’s such a Roman classic I’m surprised Cornwallis fell for it. A weak first line than kills a few enemy, then falls back. This encourages the enemy to pursue into broken ground against a stronger second line with skirmishers along the flanks.
           I also did more thinking about the artificial intelligent array. Have I been too focused on the lighting, when the real event is that array. And I don’t have a lot of experience with this type of code. Worse, it is not 3D (at this time), but two arrays that would have to interact for what I want. This is associated with getting commands to work in a novel fashion, and that is the picture shown. This is part of over 1,000 individual photos that had to be edited and cropped to make a 261 frame GIF video that lasts but seconds.

           Next we hear of a Russian lady who “stripped naked” on American Airlines. Videos showed her stripped only to the waist. Hey, it beats any recent Disney movies. Texas has block the muzzie super city, declared some groups as terrorists, and forbids them buying land. All they had to do was run some pigs across it. Trivia: Elon Musk once offered the World Finance Bank $6 billion in food aid on the one condition they make the accounting public. They refused the money.

ADDENDUM
                      Tell you what, you’ve been good so I’ll make a video of the code in operation. There is more to this than the “blinky” demo that I just know somebody will say I copied. Wrong, they have not a single line of code in common, plus keep in mind the rarity of readable blogs about people doing this thing. Nor is it a matter of punching in the code like a computer app. The lights do not just blink, they blink in a precise order and a precise location. For a precise time. (Turns out time is the easiest variable.)
           The goal is to have the device activate, flash a code once (red LED), then begin an infinite loop of six blue LEDs, which is the “working” part of any Arduino program. This loop has to be avoided and the code flash occur only one and only after the reset button is pushed. IRL the button would be triggered by some external event, probably a sensor. And the loop would perform something hopefully more useful.

           Watch closely with the following in mind. The Arduino will flash some lights of it’s own on startup. Also, digital cameras are over-sensitive to LED color wavelengths and you will get some glare. Then the reset is pressed, you can see a red LED flash the code LONG-SHORT-SHORT-SHORT, which is either the ASCII code for “8” or the Morse code for “B”. This is why you may hear me shorthand the code as “Morse” even though there are only 11 letters possible with four blips. There is a separate lookup chart to list which sketch this represents.
           It is tricky to see, but the six blue LEDs blink a sequence and a cycle that repeats twice in this video. It will do so as long as there is power, just take my word because videos like this are difficult to make. The LEDs are very close together to match the pin sizes, to make any changes means moving all the wiring, or re-writing all the code.
           The significance of this [successful] sketch is the Arduino design is similar to COBOL in having a “declaration” section (called SETUP) which is intended to set pin modes and other parameters. I have never seen this used for code operations of this style, but don’t worry, Elliott and Billy-Bill, I don’t think I am the first. But I did it before anybody you know, ha-ha. (In fact, I think almost the opposite, that everybody ahead of me had plenty of opportunities to do all this stuff, but are a disspointment to the world because they didn't.)

Last Laugh