One year ago today: September 12, 2025, a trip to Miami.
Five years ago today: September 12, 2021, a generic day.
Nine years ago today: September 12, 2017, utter.
Random years ago today: September 12, 201x, early Arduino.
It should not take 3-1/2 hours to hit the bank and pick up some groceries, unless in the Florida furnace, you maximum speed is DMV. The trip did include a stop for the doggie chow and some used paint. Today you get pictures of almost everyting. And we have another varmint raiding the kitchen and he’s smart enough to avoid the live traps. That seals his fate. I stocked up on coffee and veggies, we have $25 left until Monday. But the nice thing about home ownership is you don’t bleed as much money standing still.
> I follow military developments without much regard to who is right or wrong. The destruction of the Hezbollah underground tunnel complex registered 4.1 on the Richter scale. This destroys twenty years of digging and stockpiling weapons, evidence to me a big attack was planned. The tunnels were said to be almost 1-1/2 miles and cut into a bomb-proof ridge. That must have cost a pretty penny. The IDF reports finding stockpiles of drones and rockets.
That’s pictures I would like to see, as the IDF can hardly be trusted by anyone. Instead, here’s a picture of a $15 bottle of vanilla flavoring. What? How do you make something like that cost so much? Simple, look closely, it is “Harry Potter” brand.
Later, it was rainy so I found and posted several old blogs from 1984. The way computers are designed, and few of us could have known this 40 years ago, the files are very difficult to enter. I will require two computers in tandem. Oddly, older computers were better at this, but I understand the current MicroSoft mentality. They don’t build computers for people who need to know where their files are. Only fapper computers. If you really need a file, MicroSoft will find it for you. Type of thing.
I also dug out my oldest Arduino, an UNO with the oldest timing crystal I’ve ever used (see arrow). And it was still wired up. But we know long since there is no way to tell what is on the chip. It was wired to the 7-segments seen here, I just ripped them out. Does this old unit still even work. We shall see, but I doubt I even still have whatever sketches were uploaded since something like 2014.
Later, the card activates, but will not recognize any of the COM ports. Damn you, MicroSoft. I’m checking for virtual ports now. Moments later, got it. Port 14. It is working at a basic level, flashing an LED. The board has a built-in LED on pin 13, but I see I rigged up a brighter blue LED, something I general use to mean a pilot light. My programming since so long ago is long past the blinky stage. For now, I’m designing a quick sketch for something I meant to test back then. See, it’s coming back to me.
A survey of books and on-line travel tips reveals that 92% of the advice is about avoiding certain colors of people.
Swiss highway system.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.
We are broke. Tennessee made a withdrawal on the 28th, probably legal fees, and I didn’t get the memo. No problem, I’ve got fifty things to keep me busy that cost zero. One of them is a reawakened interest in that 3D printer sitting in the shed. I will make room, for now I know of many projects I will never complete now. Out they go, something I’ve best get moving on, as I got the news that Bonnie Tyler died today. I only recall her one song, “It’s a Heartache” because, though I’ve never had it on my list, I’ve played it some fifty years and it’s a reminder of my own age. And reminds me of Bill Tronnes, who thought it the best song ever.
I got to the recycle a bit late and scored barely enough stain for a few projects, but one is this tin of “weathered oak”. I’ve used enough product now to learn what I don’t like, so let’s hope this is a good one. I don’t care for any maple colors. I also found enough parts from the Kobalt compressor, the one that didn’t last worth a shit, that maybe I can rig up something 50 PSI to a basic sprayer. You see, I also checked the prices on the canned poly. Ouch, and it isn’t even brand Harry Potter.
No work on the doorbell, but a problem appears. I measured the transformer with the el-cheapo multimeter and got 15 VDC. Meh, that’s a bad 12VDC reading, I figured. But turns out it is 24VDC. Twice the power of the coil. I will install a 3300Ω 2Watt, if that heats up, I have some 5Watt in the shed. To get the doorbell mounted, I had to bring out the long drill. That’s pronounced “the lo-o-o-ong drill”, shown here. This is private stock, for company officers only. No touch. What’s it for? To get a pilot hole through two back-to-back 4” fence posts. And stubborn bedroom walls.
Before continuing, let me get the bass and play that Tyler tune. And I’ll describe the Arduino sketch I plan to test. The bulk of the code is normally in a loop that continues as long as there is power. But there’s a small setup section that runs once, I’d like to devise some way to signal what is on the chip, even if I resort to Morse code. At this time, I do not know if loop commands will even execute in the setup mode.
It’s early, I’ll tell you what I have planned on that. The Arduino memory is limited, so I diagrammed a way four bits can flash 14 unique codes of long or short flashes. Why not 16? Because I don’t want any sequence of all the same length, each must be a combination of each flash. And, 14 codes is determined to exceed anything I have planned. The trick is getting this to occupy as few memory locations as possible. Of course, it is zeroes and ones, I used L and S just to plan the sequences.
When the Arduino powers up, a few lights flash. I would add a pattern according to which sketch (program or code) was uploaded. This would require a separate listing, a lookup table, but it is better than nothing. And who do we know that already looks things up in tables. Anyway, here is the matrix of the 14 possible sequences. This could be expanded to five easily, and I’ve entity.
At 9:00PM I zipped over to the old club in Bartow. It was busy, but a crowd where I recognized no one. That’s not 100% true, I did hear the screech owl ladies. Who didn’t hear them? There was Karaoke, but why bother with that bunch. Josh was on duty, so we know some facts. As predicted, the veternaran who is making a killing at Kooters is the only sincere offer. And he will need somebody to manage the place Good luck, the last manager ran off their local folloing and it will take five years of doing it right to get them back.
The usual arrangement is a flat monthly lease and a cut of the profits. Then I find out something. The place has two liquor licenses. Beer and wine. And hard liquor. Don’t quote me, but it seems the liquor license is not directly sellable. Each change of management or ownership is independently reviewed. At this time, the answer is apparently “no”, without which the place won’t fly. I knew the “lease” was $1400 per month, I think, That’s selling a lot of beer and wine to break even.
My advice is stand back and watch. Let somebody else take the dive and fail. My guess is some city outfit will again try to make it into a club. If they raise the prices even 25 ȼ they risk losing the three customers they have left.
ADDENDUM
Some health issues, I promised to keep records on the inevitable decline, and once again it is items triggered by the hospital. This is day 226, meaning to get back to par by now, I’ll need miraculous mending. That is not going to happen. The last 48 hours brought both gout and arthritis pains. How do I know it’s from the anesthetic? By the location and intensity. I was in intensive care a long time and there is no mistaking the timing.
My diet remains sparse, but I did change a few things to items easier to prepare. Generally I feel lighter on my feet, but that is offset by the energy drain required to stand up any more. I used to regard home as a comfort zone convenience. Now, sometimes out there I just wish I could quit what I’m doing and head home for the day. This is very new for me. I’m again tracking gas mileage and I ran over by 53 miles last month.
One of my staples in onions and the nice ones are now $2 a pound. I got fooled by tomato prices, a low-level millennial scam. Two identical bins, identical packaging. One bag was $2.27, the other one was $2.27 per pound. At least they were organic. And not Harry Potter. Don’t hit me!

