Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Sunday, September 27, 2026

September 27, 2026

Yesteryear
One year ago today: September 27, 2025, they also get lost.
Five years ago today: September 27, 2021, 320 gallons.
Nine years ago today: September 27, 2017, a generic day.
Random years ago today: September 27, 2005, first in-house digital pic.

           Internet to the rescue, the CEO of Flock redacted (edited out) the street view of his own home. Thousand of Google-mappers quickly flagged his law as a “public toilet”. Yes, Starbucks closes 250 stores, but the one that counts is the outlet in Riverside (Burbank). It’s the iconic White boy joint and few things better demonstrate the hollowing-out of Californian society. They are running out of net contributors to steal from. More closures are expected, interestingly the office is planning on the very thing I always despised about Starbucks: they killed the free refill.
           Even so, I’m not keen on $3 for a cup of so-so product. The ads that say $1.95 are bogus, most locations the smallest size is the 12-oz tall. I find it brackish. I wonder how any unionized shops are affected. I turned the bird fountain on early this morning, causing an all-day frenzy. The whole system needs maintenance, maybe soon.

           Something is out of whack this morning, it was 60°F and I had to crank on the room heater. This is December weather. Minnesota Democrats voted 100% against removing dead people from their voter rolls. I say the desperation has only begun. I have a few more words about California because I lived there when today’s rot was just starting. Up to around 1985, the State was billed as the opportunity center.

           After all, did not all the Okies who make the trek fifty-some years ago all now have bungalows in the suburbs with nice reservoir-watered lawns? By 1990, no. Millions were arriving in California with no marketable skills. It was ripe territory for Democrat/Socialist politicians to promise them welfare by any other name by taxing the minority. For me, the corrupt system was typified by the hospitals.
           I witnessed two changes get underway that became standard across the nation. They were the hospitals overcharging insured patients to cover the uninsured. A greedy practice that sent medical costs into the stratosphere. The other was the lucrative practice of insurance companies challenging every claim, not on its merits, but because by then they knew credit cards made it easy to starve people into submission. Hence, Starbucks is a side joke, it’s when the hospitals get any hungrier that I’m watching for. Those would rather collapse than revert to a supply and demand situation.

           It stayed cool until noon, I used the time to move supplies around. The main effort was to stain around five or six boxes, including the custom box for the Lucida. I recorded this process to show how it moves along some eight times faster than brushing, but if the pieces are bigger than the tray, it is back to brushing. The plastic gloves are not very effective and stick to each other. A session with the stain is around and hour, or not worth the setup. Each time wrecks a sponge brush and the pieces dry a pale color. Later, this second video is a documentary for myself. You can almost see the wood soak up that costly stain.
           They [the pickets] are meant to just stay that dry stain color, I’m reminding of the iron bath that “paints” snow fence. It’s the cheapest color, the reason you see so many red barns. When I say plain, I mean a single layer of stain with no coating. While easily copied, I’m not worried about competition. This coloring would cost around $5 to $7 if the stain was not free, that is, more than the total of all other materials. And for the overall process, if anybody wants to copy that, let them. Not so many people have $2,000 to build that first box.
           Radio 100.7 from Tampa, all talk was clear and I like to listen to the type of sob stories that get called in. They are so much funnier than live hard luck stories. I’ve never had a financial advisor, mainly because every one I ever heard talk (which is what they do) has just been somebody who read the same textbooks I did, often with less understanding. Plus, as commissioned salespeople they often try to please the majority. I don’t have much in common with people who want to save money but still dine out three times a week. They will demand different behavior from an advisor.

Picture of the day.
Somewhere in S. Carolina.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           Ice cold applesauce and hotdogs. I made it inside before the Florida afternoon inferno. I tried rigging up a shelf under the saw canopy, a place to store boxes that I to look seasoned but not baked. However, some of the special long planks have warped on me and I’ll have to clamp the boards in place to fix them. Hell with that, I got a soda and sat down. I don’t think I’ll get up a spell. I’m more into reading the sheet music to Croce’s “Carwash Blues”, maybe I’ll learn it. Overall, I got a lot done this last week. But it stopped any sense of recovery progress.
           This sore throat is lingering and the pet blessing is next weekend. Cannot have both. It cooled again and I burned a pile of waste wood, keeping an eye on the fire by finally getting the clamps out and slapping the shelf shown here. Not heavy duty, it is meant mainly as a storage and aging area for empty boxes. Keeping the boxes inside the work shed eats into my workspace. This sort of work is actually very slowly bringing a sense or organization back to this place.

           Interesting, Liberia. Illegals who refuse to go back where they come from, or are refused by same, are being flown to Liberia. It’s a fifteen-hour flight and I disagree that the US is paying for their room and board over there. True, it’s cheaper than welfare or prison, but still a waste. Put them to work. There is no longer any excuse for Liberia not to have the cleanest toilets., freshest vegetables, and cheapest hookers in the hemisphere. Now they have someone to do the jobs Liberians won’t do.

ADDENDUM
           I heard this one early today:
           There's a saying about women, "They wait for men at the finish line; they're not cheerleaders encouraging you to play to win."

Last Laugh