Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Saturday, June 27, 2020

June 27, 2020

Yesteryear
One year ago today: June 27, 2019, all the bamboo died.
Five years ago today: June 27, 2015, mentioning Alex Jones.
Nine years ago today: June 27, 2011, door message idea.
Random years ago today: June 27, 2008, the Hippie plays Jimbos.

           This is the Day of the Ceiling Fan. Mark it in your calendar and be first when the holiday goes national. Here’s the unit with two of the five blades installed. This was your typical two-hour project that took all six hours. All the usual snags appeared. While the directions were written in native English, there were extra parts in the box, which is as bad as missing parts because you don’t know if they’ve fallen loose. But you can see the nice brass finish on my 19 pound fan. I gave the working parts a soak in WD-40 and installed it without testing first. The blog that dares to feature a picture of 2/5ths of a fan.
           I would have had to charge $300 to do this install for anyone else. Every step had some tricky procedure. Tiny screws, special screws, directions that said loosen when they had to be completely removed. Hardest on me was standing on the ladder holding the casing in one hand and trying to feed a tiny retaining nut onto the peg that holds it in place while you do the wiring. It has a spare red wire for the light kit, be sure to cap it off as I think it is hot.

           That’s my exercise, up and down that ladder roughly fifteen times. The blades were assembled in the back room while I attended an Auvoria Prime training session, and it was a good one. Read below for the outcome of that. This fan mercifully self-levels itself on the mounting bracket. The kit is full of tiny washers that easily get lost.. I decided against a light kit unless it proves absolutely necessary. The fan is mounted on a bracket that was chose two years ago to be in the path of the new kitchen A/C. Good move.
           All told I would have to charge over $600 for the entire installation. The dedicated breaker, the 20-Amp wiring and drilling, the heavy duty mount, that was around five hours, half of it in the attic. Then the time today, and then there’s the back and forth to the shed, and to the lumber yard for the switch. This is another 52” fan, like the bedroom. It seems overkill but that’s the size needed so the fan does not have to operate full blast. This isn’t some run-of-the-mill Orlando condo. Study and research are conducted here. Ken, that means you can leave papers on a desk and they won’t blow away. What concept.

           I need to record this. The last week represents a milestone in this renovation. In a week, there have been more “luxury” items than the previous couple years combined. The cabin is comfortable, hell, I live here, but most everything up to now has been what was needed. This is a tricky call, because the bathroom has two sinks instead of one. It’s a psychological point in a way. The major items are the 3-way light and the ceiling fan, but it is important it is the kitchen. That area was always the last to get any attention—because it is such a big task I don’t dare start until I can complete it in one continuous operation.
           There’s no price listing for the fan, but I think the MSRP is $129. It climate controls the kitchen, where before that uninsulated south wall made being on that side of room a little less comfy. The real savings is that with a fan, you can run the A/C much lower. I’m already considering a fan for the back bedroom, as the one on the floor takes up a valuable two square feet. An unintended but nice side effect of the kitchen fan is, while the room stays calm, it creates a breezy spot at the hall doorway. No air moving up or down the hall, just a small vortex at that spot. I will have to check if it is caused by anything wrong. But if you need a quick cool down, just go stand in it for a minute. Neat.

Picture of the day.
Canadian Geographic vessel.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           There was an unusual aspect to the wiring. Rather than put a junction box in the attic, which would have involved twice the wiring because the ideal switch location is nearer the breaker box than the devices, I opted for a four-way splice. That’s what you see here. Following the rule of no more than three wires to a connection, here’s a junction that splits into three legs. It may not look pretty, but it is within code. The box is accessible behind a kick panel. I’m out of cover plates. Yes, that is one 15 Amp end circuit tapped off a 20, perfectly safe in this configuration. How do you think my work is progressing?
           Auvoria Prime. I rarely have time on a Saturday afternoon to attend the training sessions, but when I saw one that had not been canceled, I jumped right in. Yes, they are aware of the display problem, although I notice on the shared screens none of the big players had any troubles. No word on the ETR (estimated time to repair).

           It turns out Saturday is a great day because everybody is off work. They’ve got more patience and even too time to answer my question about trading in the two modes. Yes, until trailing equity enables, the trades are identical to those at the fixed settings. When done, I stayed on to listen only and picked up a lot of hints, such as how those mysterious levels work. You might find this confusing, but each trade is actually 8 smaller trades as the software attempts to meet the goal. You only have to approve the first one manually—but here’s where I learning something about not stopping trades and why it is better to cancel them and take the loss.
           A cancellation can throw off all I levels of trade, which can confuse the algorithm. To give you an idea of the volatility of the market, the Forex trading chart pulled up to give me an example brought a collective moan to the upper echelons present. It seems they had all just missed a $200 opportunity. What was throwing me is the levels were 5 pips apart, but were not behaving that way. Ah, I have the answer. It is that mysterious “lot multiplier” setting. The 5 pips in the trigger which makes it an 8 pip interval. This gives you some idea of the depth of study necessary to set this software to work. Most of the settings are interdependent so just you watch out.

           Ray-B texted to say he’s got an option to work for Sweetwater, the music chain. Anything is better than nothing, but Sweetwater in Indiana. They have winter, we’re Florida boys. That guy from Davenport who’s been advertising for a year finally texted me back. I’ll refresh your memory. Back in Tennessee I began to notice a recurring ad from a rhythm player who had a similar song list. I left a few messages that I’d be interested. So when I got no reply, I shrugged it off, probably another guitar hero. But the last message, I told him that he would find nothing but frustration and when he got fed up, contact me.
           The problem is, he texts and the gorilla glass on my phone is broken. I can’t read them and my replacement phone is in Nashville. The longer it stays in Nashville, the worse the odds that Boost will make the changeover from my old phone. If you think Virgin Mobile was bad, Boost is even worse, but at least it is not AT&T.

ADDENDUM
           Want some fun? Devise a flowchart and write the algorithm for this situation. It’s a classic. In an apartment with 1,000 doors there are 1,000 tenants. The tenant 1 begins at apartment 1 and opens every second door. Tenant 2 starts at apartment 2, and if every second door is open he closes it, if is closed he opens it. Tenant 3 starts and apartment 3, and if every third door is open, he closes it, if it is closed, he opens it. After all 1,000 tenants have gone through this process, what do the doors look like?
           This is a question that is actually easier to program than most other methods. I would do this in BASIC. I haven’t done it yet, but my approach would be to create an array with 1,000 cells. Create a counter, call it K equal to zero. Initially fill up the cells by K+1 with the value 1 to indicate closed. Then step through by K+2, placing a 0 for open in every second cell. Loop again with K+3, and so on. At the end of the process, print the array and examine the 1’s and 0’s. I don’t know why, but I would print the array in a rectangle. Just a hunch.

Last Laugh