Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Thursday, September 10, 2020

September 10, 2020

Yesteryear
One year ago today: September 10, 2019, there’s no such thing.
Five years ago today: September 10, 2015, it was a bad area.
Nine years ago today: September 10, 2011, WIP – wrong date format.
Random years ago today: September 10, 2010, the same stunt twice.

           Ha, so Portland just passed the “broadest” anti-facial recognition ban legally possible. CNN reports Portland “joins a growing number” of jurisdictions outlawing the technology. While I support the ban over the potential for abuse, these Democrat localities are doing it out of fear that their professional protesters and agitators could be rounded up wholesale. Right now the software does a crappy job of people wearing masks, but coupled with geofencing, license plate readers, profiling, and traditional credit card and ATM records, they got these domestic terrorists by the short and curlies. My guess is if you were in the riot and are not rounded up soon, it is because they are letting you free to take them to your leaders.
           Not up to much yard work this morning. here is the view out the new “window” in the shed. This faces the neighbor and will likely be just a screen for now. I’ve planned some shutters. Retirement has shifted my prime work schedule. I used to get a lot done in the mornings, where now my truly productive time starts in the late afternoon. Maybe it’s in combination with the climate? In the background you see part of the neighbor’s barn-sized work shed.

           I downloaded more music off the list Reb found, for a gal who doesn’t follow new country, she’s picked pretty much what I need. I’ve gone over just eight of the tunes, of which four I can sort of strum. I’m applying the techniques I’ve been trying to get even one guitarist to at least try for years. It’s a matter of playing the tune enough times to capture the feel of the strums, which I would describe as an amalgamation of all that’s going on. The result is not like any particular part of the original and it makes each strum unique. And I am the born enemy of comping.
           I did find time to mix a bit more of the fertilizer dirt in places other than the planter, such as the row of devil’s backbone and chrysanthemums along the front and mailbox. I’ll monitor the progress there. And I dug another dozen buckets of the deep black soil from the back that is now covered by the workshed and unlikely to grow anything ever again in my time. This time each batch gets the recommended fertilizer mix, both the one recommended as basic, and a component of the tomato blend that’s working so well. Here’s a better shot of the difference from the tomato mix, this is not sunlight, the new leaves are really that much greener.
           The workshed again makes all the difference, I put in four hours in the rain. This time, I sunk a fencepost and framed in the window to make the neighbor happy. He reports that lots of people are having trouble logging on to the unemployment site. I’ll take a look tomorrow, but that is more likely politics than any bandwidth problem. Could even be the office is saying no new claims until they catch up on the backlog. That office is nearby but I would hesitate to even go in there asking questions.

           And another bureaucratic item. The accident report that I picked up in Cagle, TN, has a ton of information but not the other driver’s insurance info. I was prevented from getting it at the scene as the police kept me and the other guy many yards apart, and they kept telling me they would get the information. Except it isn’t there. This is an old scam to get me to try to make a claim on my own insurance. Wrong, I’m on to that. Why should my rates go up for a collision I did not cause? They’ve tried this on me twice before and it is a difficult uphill fight. Both times I got more than I would have if I’d made a claim against my own policy.
           Since my own policy is due in a week, I’ll take the report in and find out what is going on.

Picture of the day.
The Pierhead Building, Wales.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           Five hours, I sure like my workshed, that’s from late afternoon until well past dark. The progress includes the frame for the window to the neighbor and the gate through the fence to the five foot area behind the fence. This is the area nobody remembers where the property line is, so I aligned my space with the fences of the yards on either side, leaving a dead space at the back. Here is the latest evolution of what I’ve taken to calling my “turtle technology”. This is the lapped joints first used on any scale for the turtle cage in Nashville. Some say there are easier joints to cut but this one for certain works for me. The door I built with dowels in 2017 finally worked the pegs loose and fell apart in less than two months.
           This basic half-lap scheme is planned for the three gates into the shed area. There is a front and back entrance, and the gate to the dead space. I’m doing the last one first as this is my first such gate and I plan to learn from the mistakes. Shown here are the rough cuts, chiseled out while I figure if it is worth it to make the surfaces any smoother. These will be bolted in the corners, and fastened by screws and gussets elsewhere. I often add the gussets later as I rarely have any scrap plywood leftover. This photo and others are shipped off to Tennessee for final approval.

           The lumber is untreated, but painted with at least two layers of primer. The only manufactured part is the frame. The door panel material is more fence pickets, designed to blend right in to the existing fence. The neighbor with the big fancy shed regularly watches and asks questions like how did I make the cuts so straight. If I had an answer, I’d say it is because I’ve learned to mark and not measure wherever possible. Here we go, I found another shot of the new window. This is where the neighbor stands when he wants to talk. That’s his monster size yard almost a half block into the background. He had two houses, one was demolished. The window frame I adjusted to where he can see what I’m doing, I’m too flattered to tell him I first made this type of structures in my life maybe two years ago.
           On the right side is the opening I’ll put the gate. You can see how far back his wire fence sets, but I’m not taking any chances that fence could be well inside his property. My shed roof is well-shaded except noon till 2:30PM, affectionately known as siesta time.

           Double voting is in the news, mainly surrounding these Democrat-prodded mail-in ballots. It’s so plain what their strategy there is, here’s how I would deal with it. Some states have earlier voting than others. Although Democrat style vote-harvesting involves showing up at the last moment in districts where the contest is close, this plan will still work. Double voting is a felony. Penalties differ between states as well. Find an early-voting state with a severe penalty and jump on the first few fraudsters.
           Do a Democrat style raid. Alert your most-favored television stations so they are on hand for the six-o’clock. Stand ready in liberal plagued areas and arrest the first ten or fifteen, plastering their pictures and private details of their backgrounds. Deny them bail and hold them in the worst prison cells in your jurisdiction. It works because the radical left is despises operating in the open. I’ve heard some states impose a fifty year sentence. Grab a few campus agitators, these leftoid students are like women’s assertion groups. All big hype but at the first one or two casualties, they scatter like chickens.

           What you really want is the die-hard cheaters, come on, you DC people know who they are. Tail them until they do the dirty deed, then clap the cuffs on them. If the authorities still maintain they have no idea who the perps are, tell you what. Give me $100 per conviction, and I’ll stroll around pointing them out to you. While I’m mediocre at spotting libtards, I’m an expert at sensing inherently stupid people, and what do American leftists have in common?
           I’m saying if the Trump can control voter fraud, he will be in an excellent position to not only rout the libard-commie movement, but also to systematically wade through every last representative who calls themselves Republican and affect a lasting if not permanent change to the business-as-usual bastards. I did not watch the rally last evening, but I could hear some background chanting on the radio. If that’s the Trump rally crowd saying “We love you!”, the Biden-Obama-Clinton syndicate had best start packing.
           The lack of reaction by Trump cannot be an lapse. Taking time to think, is it possible that this election voter turnout will be so overwhelming at the booths that Trump will win by a majority of total possible voters before any of the mail-in ballots start arriving. See what I mean? If over 50% of all eligible voters show up in person, it will take one crazy bunch of bastards to promote mail-in ballots, though I there is no doubt they will try. Predictions are for the greatest voter turnout in history. Good, the future of America a free country is at stake and in 2016, it was a close run thing.

ADDENDUM
           The original premise of the Internet, the free dispersal of scientific research, has suffered a near-fatal blow. I read this article with a personal attachment because the situation is due to the earliest criticism I had of the Internet. In 1993, when the service was not even available where I lived except by long distance dial-up, I commented that the major shortcoming was that for educational sites, the Internet was not free. You see, what kills most good intentions is on-going fees that remain while life changes. Once you publish a scientific journal, it can gather dust on a shelf quite a long time. But the promise of the Internet got so many of the journals to go on-line and stop publishing.
           Now the journals are disappearing though lack of maintenance. They can’t complete with the big money-makers to whom the system now caters. Once an organization, more often the individual, can’t pay the monthly and annual fees and the journal drops out of site. Sadly that means most of the smaller facilities responsible for such a disproportionate source of so many major breakthroughs. And, there are no published copies for most of them. Thus, the Internet now stifles the very premise for its creation.

           Um, the more astute readers of this blog can associate this with my decision to go on-line. Initially, it was free. Now that it is taken over by Google, it may be the single largest free item still on their money-grubbing menu. I suspect that unlike most blogs, mine has a completely backed up and indexed copy of every post. I do not compose online, only copy and paste. One of the reasons I stuck with such an unsavory company is that the blog is still free. There is a difference with most blogs in that t Tales From The Trailer Court was not begun on-line. It was written for years before blogs were heard of and is likely to continue if blogs ever disappear while I’m around.
           For that matter, I have enough of a following to consider publishing if Google pulls another fast one. I wonder if any other daily blog has lasted as long as this one without advertising or outside funding? I’m nearing 6,000 separate posts and have no reason to stop. What do you think?

Last Laugh