Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Tuesday, September 29, 2020

September 29, 2020

Yesteryear
One year ago today: September 29, 2019, I was fined 55¢.
Five years ago today: September 29, 2015, $1,500 would make me rich.
Nine years ago today: September 29, 2011, robot club meeting.
Random years ago today: September 29, 2006, ridculously tiny prefabs.

           Reviewing slow-motion footage of the squirrel at the spherical feeder indicates she can only pull seeds from a narrow band at the angle she can fit her teeth against the wire. I must repair the washer today, but maybe I’ll have time to put another cylindrical mesh to see if that’s effective. An unpleasant discovery, I have an old outlet on the kitchen counter. I did not notice that things plugged into it gave out after a week. It’s wired correctly but something isn’t right. I lost the two microwaves and a toaster oven before spotting the pattern. Oh well, payday is Thursday.



           This busy picture is the bird window. Shown are three feeders, one perch and two stained glass thingees. This location is the most popular with birds and company, since this is the window that gets looked out the most. Three feeders may seem competitive, yet the birds have developed a time-sharing concept. The other issue is this is the only really safe place in the yard so as long as they don’t fight, I’ll cool with it.

           Missing is the stained glass apple, the hook needs repair and I was more focused on getting that washer spinner working. It’s frustrating, as everything checks out including this cheap-ass timer shown here. It now appears the power supply, which could be the more serious problem. You see, the wiring turns out to have a set of interlocks that know when to activate the pump, apply the brakes, etc. I’ve isolated the two wires I believe are where the switch should go but one pouring rainstorm got the shed floors wet and I had to knock off working on electrical. Yes, a good Florida downpour can get the dirt floor of the shed damp enough to be a hazard.
           Here’s the best photo of the timer. It is the white and green wires I’m targeting. The power supply comes from a tap off the main motor, which works just fine. First dry spell, I’ll go looking with my multimeter, since all the components are analog. That weird contact mechanism I may have mentioned turns out to be a lid contact, probably a fraction of the cost of a regular switch. Such a nice day, I got in six hours so far, not including my therapy exercises which have expanded to 22 minutes per routine. This cannot continue, twice a day eats up nearly an hour including start and finish time. The straps and pulleys all have to be put back away afterward.
           Um, as for progress overall, each tiny advance seems to cause another area to revert, this has been going on since the collision with or without therapy. This places me in a situation of two bad choices. Put up with the pain and therapy for life, or undergo an expense operation that is known not to be bass-player friendly. Let’s move on.

           The upcoming debate is so front and center, I’m hard-pressed to keep focused on this beautiful day. Poets love days like this, I’m planning long hours in the yard. I see the mainstream mob, after months of “research” from anonymous sources, has chosen the last few hours before a Presidential debate to release questions about Trump’s income tax. As usual, it will backfire on them as it always does when they try dirty tricks on a businessman. What’s happened to Ann Coulter, who was off to such a good start until the day she turned on Trump, crabbing about his not keep promises rather than attacking the rotten infrastructure that was preventing him. A search going back a week shows she is still mean-mouthing, her one real talent it turns out.
           She’s alive and writing articles for the Mariestta Daily Journal, whom I never heard of until today. But it is one of those publications who cannot grasp the concept of “ad blocker”. My filtering system, described last day, would allow the user to avoid such sites. Who knows, some of these publications might get the message. Put it this way, when you flash a headline that causes me to click, then put up a message that I must subscribe to continue, that’s bait & switch. Um, if you want to put anything on my computer, you should be paying me. Some say the system doesn’t work that way, and I reply, “Exactly.”

Picture of the day.
The Edlund S-11 Heavy Duty Can Opener,
(Around $460.00)
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           The drills are battery powered, so I continued on to finally fix the back entranceway so it will lock. It’s not that solid right now, as years ago I did not straighten one corner of the shed. I know that was going to come back on me. I have to custom cut a solid piece, like a 2x4 and anchor it from the inside of the white shed. To get at that corner, you guessed it. I have to not just move, but dismantle my entire emergency food stockpile. It’s a good thing I retired so young. Good grief, here comes another downpour, a reminder that summer is not yet over in Florida.
           Here is the shed data wall, or the beginnings of it. The snag is that from where this photo is taken is the usual spot to read the dials. But the barometer that could have warned me of this storm can’t be used unless you get right up to it. One of my project ideas was an Arduino sensor that turned on the weather radio when pressure fell below a resettable level during a long downward trend. For when an alarm just is not good enough and you don’t want that weather radio squawking at you all day long.

           Thereafter the Arduino plays the radio message cycle (not very long) a few times, then shuts the damn thing off for a spell. This cycle continues until the opposite trend in pressure is detected. It’s surprising this inexpensive feature is not permanent on weather radios. But, like cameras, for all we know the manufacturers purposely leave out one major function, or make it difficult to use. Like my Sony camera, the delay setting is fixed at 10 seconds and has to be reset via a tedious menu after every single use. Will I ever get to this Arduino project? Don’t know, and I probably should patent this idea. The Radio Shack radio I have has an emergency tone. But it is tripped by a signal from the broadcaster meaning sooner or later some AOL millennial is going to C+ the routine, resulting in yet another catastrophe. And then sue when he is fired claiming he was “misunderstood”.
           Here, I found my old notes. My device would be triggered by the weather, not the radio station. It has a thermometer-like setting that lets you program it to catch a percentage of historical storm readings in your area, a setting which of course can be turned off. I even though of using a file transfer to let the user download the raw data and copy it to the device without a risky Internet link. I don’t recall but I see I did some study of the area where traditional mercury barometers read “change”. This is not enough information, I vaguely recall sketching a flowchart that logged the meaningful rate of change to make the predictions.
           It could infer the difference between falling slowly (rain) and falling quickly (storm), you could have it set to a level, say 29.95 inHg to catch 80% of the historically correct predictions in your area. I never did research this, so let me take a look if anyone has already done it. This idea, independently derived BTW, was in the “pre-app” era so I do not compare it to anything inside watches or smart phones. Moments later, every search was polluted by watch ads, even when set to filter them out. Most digital barometers are encased and have no output leads. The biggest selection was from England which sells barographs. This is the spring device that plots the pressure on a graph wrapped around a drum, looks like a polygraph. They cost thousands of dollars.

           So you know I was not a layabout today, here is the back shed door now framed in and locked. What, you noticed that gap to the left? That’s where the custom piece as to be fitted. As soon as I get my incentive check, I should invest in some better roofing. In some spots, it still leaks through three layers of tarpaper. Say, that reminds me, I have a huge roll of 8 mill plastic I got for ten bucks. Where did I put that? Never mind, I just found it. Good, that will save me $200 in roofing until I feel like spending that money.

ADDENDUM
           Over the years, I keep a tick mark on my calendar to track how long some guitar players advertise for a band. The presumption is if they keep advertising, they’ve flunked to date. I put two check marks if I replied to the ad and they did not respond. Today I see a total of four of them still seeking their dream band a year later. Should I send them a text saying if they’d listened to me they would have spent the last year gigging?
           Didn’t I warn you against MicroSoft 365, the “Windows as a tool” scam? It means you rent the software rather than buy it—and means you lose control. It went down due to an attack and the businesses that survived were those big enough to lose lots of money. And China begins marketing an electric car with a 100 mile range priced as low as $4,300. I’d buy one in an instant, except I’ll wait to see how many catch fire or die after 50 miles within six months.
           In NYC, the police broke up a 300 person wedding because the Mayor told them they had to. Another example of the police talking out of both sides of their mouths. They swear to uphold the law, then obey the orders of a politician who has no legal authority to impose lockdowns. Rumor has it Windows, realizing it’s losing the race, is preparing to become an operating shell over a Linux core.

Last Laugh