Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Sunday, December 20, 2020

December 20, 2020

Yesteryear
One year ago today: December 20, 2019, perpetual flat.
Five years ago today: December 20, 2015, I am so ready.
Nine years ago today: December 20, 2011, gumptionless?
Random years ago today: December 20, 2010, fun to learn.

           Our feature story today is wood hardener. Not having used it before, so that’s let me put in some pointers for beginners. Start with the 50% price increase, it is no longer $8 per can. I invested in some linseed oil to test on the window frame. I afforded that for two reasons, one is that DC is finally going to send me my food stockpile money, you know, the cash others will have to use to pay outstanding bills because, well, because they are smarter than me because, well, because they have credit cards and I don’t. BWAAAA. The other reason is I believe I can finally do a decent job repairing windows, both the glass and the frames, that I’m offering advice.
           The wood hardener is a faint-odored clear chemical. The on-line videos show the easy part, applying it with a brush. The real work is digging away the soft rot wood, which rarely cooperates. It soaks into the remaining wood, which is usually partially damaged. This dries to a hard coat making the piece reasonably good to work with, but note, this stuff does not fill in the wood. There is another product mixed with bondo for that. I prefer good old water putty.

           My heart, the storm alarm went off while I was in the shed. I’m used to the noise, just not standing right next to it when it blasts. Seems they are warning people in the next county to move to lower rooms of their house. I only have lower rooms, so I’m grabbing this opportunity to check my entire place for storm conditions. They say by noon, so I have time for window repair and prep. Next on
the slate is boiled linseed oil. I remember this stuff from long ago by the aroma, today the product is odorless.
           The goal here is to reduce window rattle. The concept is this product not only protects wood, but it penetrates it to a degree that then stops it from getting too brittle with age. And is reputed to stop oils from the window putty from seeping into the frame and having the same effect. Yes, we are still using window putty, now called glazier’s putty with a corresponding price increase there, to nearly $7 for the small size. The putty is slated for tomorrow, so return for pics. I have one broken pain, but it is a single clean break, so I may reuse it for now. Adds character.

           Tampa radio is reluctantly reporting the discovery of unloaded memory cards full of Trump votes. This is rather important, because it is not an arguable situation, apparently. The votes have to be tabulated by law, this activity cannot be blocked by the usual Democrat methods, and the majority of the votes are for Trump. This cards have been found in several locations, indicating widespread coordination. As I’ve said often, it is not the election fraud so much as the fact that almost 100% of it favors one side.
           I wanted news on my free money. It seems the Pelosi woman admits she stalled the relief package for months because Trump was still in power. That’s the level of cruelty you can expect if Trump doesn’t fight back. And Ted Cruz went after Bill Gates, who once again proves he is retarded as he looks. Gates is cracking up if you ask me. He’s always strained to appear calm, but his voice and increasingly spastic arm movements are a giveaway.

           Gates is talking about a lockdown extending into 2022, or basically keeping people from work unless they agree to a Gate’s vaccination. He wants to “rely on experts”, those appointed by him or do what he says, is what he appears to be saying. Gates wants people who are “willing to admit when things are not going well”.
           Ted Cruz has proposed that they freeze the salaries of MicroSoft, CNN, and Democrats for the next two years. Let them feel the sting of what they are proposing. I say again, I would rather take my chances with COVID that stay out of work or get the secret “government approved” vaccine. There is talk of barring workers from returning to offices and factories unless they have a vaccination certificate. This would include people who have already had the disease and are immune. It is not about infection control, this is about people control.

Picture of the day.
Frew Park Arena.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           Here’s your first shot of the window frame repair up close. It’s not clear, so I’ll describe. This is the lower left corner of the sash is where the A/C water damage was (it turns out) mostly confined. I dug out around half-way through the wood. You can see to the right side how I’ve begun filling the cavity with water putty. Note the side of the frame has completely moved away, the tongue of wood that normally holds this in place was rotten away. This will soon be reinforced with either dowels and/or angle corner brackets. I repeat, the main work is cleaning out the rot. It’s like liberals, you keep finding more the deeper you get.
           The linseed oil does an obvious good job. It’s clearly a proven product and although it seeps into wood cracks, it does not seal them. This next photo shows the application to wood ar least 70 years old. There is no before picture, because I found it helps to plane off the very other layer just a fraction to reveal a fresh surface. In the next photo, I’m pointing to a single brushed-on application of the oil, allowing it to soak in rather than, as recommended, wipe up any excess. In wood of this age, there was no excess.


           The rainstorm arrived with a vengeance. Even three layers of tarpaper on the shed and the extra plastic linings shown last day have stopped the leaks completely. I will have to shingle or place panels. Strangely, just when I need them, Ondura panels have become a special order item. And the severe duration of the storm allowed to find that very slow leak in the front bedroom closet. It was just enough to notice damp, but I put a pot out that makes an especially annoying sound when there’s a drip. And there is a section of the outside roof needs a layer of tar. It’s getting up there in that spot that will be fun.
           I’m back into reading on celestial navigation, this time to learn the why part. It’ making better sense in chunks, and I’m having a smoother time of it by looking from the Sun’s point of view. I’m beginning to see the links between the various steps, where before you followed the directions. One revelation is that no single step gives all that great a result, and this is why so many are needed.

           So before I leave off today, the journal part of this blog says to write down what I found for my own future reference. Which is a misnomer, because once I write things down, I rarely have to look them up again. Got that, you modern educators? The books don’t say it directly, but your old trigonometry comes into play. If you know three pieces of related info about a triangle, you can calculate certain unknowns. Remember the SAS and ASS theorems? The better you learned them the more sense things make in practice.
           I [years earlier] focused on calculating the GP, the geographic position of the Sun. At any given point in time, you can use that year’s Almanac to find that spot on the surface of the Earth. What was not clear is that where you are standing is also point at that time. This is where it threw me. Where there is a spot directly under the sun on the Earth’s surface, there is also a spot directly above you in the heavens. And that spot is your zenith. This is a point where you pause to think about this if you want the rest to make sense.

           It’s also where I began to get, but not agree with, the use of the terms degrees and minutes to measure distance. Each minute of a degree is a nautical mile. I can measure the angle between the sun and the horizon that I can see, using a sextant. This angle is somewhere between my own horizon and my own zenith, which always form a 90 degree angle. You already forgot that important point. I’ll repeat. When you measure the angle of the Sun, it is somewhere between your zenith and your horizon, that is, some angle between 0° and 90°. This has nothing to do with the equator’s 0° and the north pole’s 90°.
           and your zenith change. That’s all for now, but if you freeze that moment in time when you use the sextant, you can calculate how far you are from the GP, and depending on the time of year, you can look up how far the Sun is from the equator, which you normally cannot see. After that, your position is just more math. If it sounds roundabout, it is.
           It works, trust me, and it will continue to work when the Chicoms in Canada knock out the US GPS system. Years ago I warned the system about putting all information on centralized and connected databases. The convenience was also a vulnerability. Now, there are Chinese military-approved chips in billions of our computers, the labs, the treasury, the entire US system is compromised. The Chinese won’t shoot down the GPS satellites, that’s too obvious. It will be more like when the ATMs, WiFi, or juke boxes quit working. Everyone will assume it is a glitch. Ah, and you thought it was just another conspiracy theory that MicroSoft spent years lulling you into a false sense of acceptance over said “glitches”.

Last Laugh