Search This Blog

Yesteryear

Monday, May 3, 2021

May 3, 2021

Yesteryear
One year ago today: May 3, 2020, the largest peach.
Five years ago today: May 3, 2016, the band-forming process.
Nine years ago today: May 3, 2012, heavily spell-checked post.
Random years ago today: May 3, 2008, another gig, another dollar.

           Said it three decades ago, there will be very few legitimate businesses on the Internet. I knew it because I’d been seeking a business I could do on computers for some years by the time browsers hit the market. This was the era you would receive three disks a week from AOL. I had a built-in resistance to start-up scams by then, so I had no trouble sifting out the con artists. It’s just when it comes to the Internet, they are all scams. Wait, how can I say that.
           Because, junior, I rate a scam as false advertising (and other stuff) and I have yet to see an Internet ad that spells it out. The one this morning was a [scheduled] look at publishing this blog. One inquiry and I’m barraged with software to turn your blog into a book (no links). One was persistent, so I read the fine print. Called blog2print, it is actually a modification of the old MicroSoft print booklet software routine. For as little as $19.95 you can upload and print up to a twenty page soft-cover booklet. And if that’s all it was, I might. But I read the fine print.
           Here’s Sammy, the little guy who lost his big brother last November. Doesn’t that melt your heart? When I get there, he’s getting spoiled like never before.

           What’s the scam? You booklet, pictures, information, and creativity become their property. You are signing over all rights to them. This is typical of the underlying sub-conditions that are seldom made clear with these operations. However, what about material expressly written to take advantage of the process? Get back to me on that. Twenty pages is nothing for me. One decision over last weekend is that I am going to load up a charge card and learn to use it on-line. It’s a pre-conditioned fool that would laugh I don’t know how to use a credit card in that fashion.
           How about the Clubhouse app? Users are complaining it was built without security and privacy in mind. Well, dammit, you ignoramuses, after the free hand you gave FaceBook, what did you expect? Plus I find it funny how many people get taken on-line by fake scams. Even if you could get valid travel visas and renew your driver’s license on-line, you must be a goof to do so without getting confirmation first. Yes, I do think Google should be held responsible for scam ads the same as I feel phone providers should be for telemarket operations.

Picture of the day.
Banana carving.
Remember to use BACK ARROW to return to blog.

           Who’s potentially got the virus? Let me take stock. Sore throat, sniffles, sneezes. But no fever, no headache, great appetite. I have the Martian death flu, but at least it isn’t COVID. Wait, how can I be sure? I know, when I’ve driving around today I’ll spot one of those places with the millie at the door pointing the thermometer at people’s foreheads. Ask him, everybody knows these people are medical experts. I mean, he’s wearing a mask and a lab coat. Here’s a nice picture of a houseboat on the St. Johns River, framed by some Spanish moss.
           I’m researching another Internet business, which I will do if I recognize the model. To make that clearer, if I understand how the money is made, that’s a leg up on the usual bunch who want money to tell you their “secret”. Even then I’m more of a passive observer, relying on others to point at things for me. For many a year in the 80s and 90s, I looked into mail-order and each time I balked when it came to inventory. It’s always a problem. However, I liked the concept of JIT, or just-in-time delivery. This led me to drop shipping, which was just about to take form when I retired. I did not want to be tied down to a business. Now, it’s plain to see, I’m ready again.

           What has not come about is a long-term business plan. There’s one idea that stands above the rest, the REIT. Nothing makes a stock or venture implode faster than me investing in it, but the REIT seems a good mix of income and liquidity. To me, five years is long-term. There’s an REIT on the radio saying they pay 10% per month, but won’t say of what. For in depth information, I read the current issue of National Enquirer, the one that says World War Three is on the way.
           They also report the former child actor from Rin Tin Tin died a lonely and broke old man. I dunno, he had a place to live and the Actor’s Guild pension of $1,500 per month. On top of that is Social Security and he spent some time in the military. I figure he was taking home close to three grand a month and anybody can live on that. As for him being old and lonely, welcome to the largest American club, membership in the millions. It just proves there’s more money in saying he died a destitute loser than reporting he was quietly enjoying some well deserved solitude.

ADDENDUM
           Here’s a test for you based on a real-life scenario. Let’s call this game, “Spot The Security Breach”. My friend, Ralph, is behind on some payments that normally result in unpleasantness due to “cooperation” between entities who stick their noses in your business. Ralph is a good student. He’s learned you can’t hide everything, but you can throw them off your trail. To that end, Ralph has a number of defenses, first of which he does not write personal checks. Way too much information for strangers. Your name, address, and sometimes phone number, but also your branch, account number and even the fact you have an account.
           Ralph’s utility bill is in his mother’s name, his car is in his brother’s name, though he pays the insurance and costs to use it. His bank account is in his ex-wife’s name but she never renewed her card so he uses it only to cash his own checks. His real banks (you need two) are in Atlanta and Beaumont. How does Ralph move his money around? By money order, of course. Once a month he gets six and uses those. No name, no address, and accepted most every where. The skill-testing question is, can you spot the security breach?

           To make it easier, suppose Ralph owed you money and had just paid you some of it by money order. How would you discover Ralph, where he lived, where he banked, etc., without tipping Ralph off you were looking? There are no personal identifiable marks on the money order.
           The answer is too easy. If Ralph pays by money order, chances are he bought more than one at the same place. Just wait in the parking lot same time next month and follow him home—but he might spot you. The sneakier way is Ralph bought many money orders at the same time and they have consecutive serial numbers. Did you know there is way to go on-line and plug in those numbers to see all kinds of information? Recently, they have curtailed that, but it still works sometimes—I know the AMSCOT staff has no clue it is a breach. If you do a lot of this, make friends with a clerk at AMSCOT. According to the usual sources, they are so woefully underpaid they do all kinds of favors for cash.

Last Laugh